Jurassic World Evolution

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Jurassic World Evolution

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

OK so I am a sucker for a good management game/god game, and both Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster have made me look favourably towards Frontier as a developer.

I have had my eye on this title for a while - basically cross Theme Park with the Jurassic Park films, add in random events guaranteed to mean dinosaurs meet tourists and manage the ensuing carnage and the aftermath.

There hasn't been much information about this one other than some holding pages on Frontier's site, but now a 10-minute gameplay demo is available and I think it looks fucking awesome:

So much so in fact that I have taken the canary plunge and pre-ordered it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Re: Jurassic World Evolution

Postby Jez » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:29 pm

This sort of thing isn't really my bag but I'd like to hope that it's going to be excellent so that I'll maybe give it a go.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:20 am

I scoffed at this when it was début at E3 last year because I did not want to look like I lost my cool to my colleague but secretly deep down I am genuinely looking forward to this !
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 am

See I saw it and thought straight off the bat that it was a great premise for a game, and as noted above I like Frontier's back catalogue and approach to games and think they will do a good job.

I always liked the idea of Jurassic Park, it was the implementation of the concept into the films that was so arse. Having a game where you can implement it with your own internal monologue rather than appalling wank that was the films 'stories' - that appeals a lot.

Yeah, looking forward to this.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm

PCG score - 71%

Verdict: Pretty but shallow.

https://www.pcgamer.com/jurassic-world- ... on-review/
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm

RPS WIT:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... ore-552763

Not read the whole thing yet as I'm on my way out, but I had a look at the concluding paragraphs and the tone was a bit disappointed.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:33 am

Canary day today, will post my thoughts later.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am

OK, so I have had a couple of days with this now, so some thoughts.

First off, I have had a lot of fun. I just want to put that out there from the outset. I have quite the list of niggles, but I have had fun getting to the point where I have compiled them. Visually the game is very nice indeed, and runs happily on Ultra at 3440x1440 on my now aging rig. The dinosaurs in particular are stunning, and beautifully animated. Likewise the incidentals, foliage and trees are beautiful and move realistically in the weather, plus said weather effects are also beautiful, especially storms.

And so to the niggles.

1. The dinosaurs. Yes they do look amazing, but their behaviour can be really awkward. Their happiness is based upon having food, water, forests, grasslands, space and companionship (or a lack of), each of which is informed to the player by a slider when you look at the dino in question. Unfortunately, there is no real way to tell which dinos need which combinations, and you can have a pen of herbivores (you can't safely mix herbivores with carnivores, or carnivores other carnivore species) but one of the factors above is different for different species. This means that you can easily inadvertently create unhappy dinos, which will mean breakouts, fights and general annoyance for you. A good example - early in the game you can get sufficient DNA to breed the Ceratosaurus, a big, mean-ass carnivore and a big draw for the crowds. $550k a pop. I made a nice big enclosure, and had three of them living in it no problem. Added a fourth - bam, instantly they are fighting and killing one another. There is no way for you to know that there is this arbitrary number cap, and in the early stages losing potentially over $1m of dino is a major setback.

The dinos also don't act properly - beasties which are pack hunters will not hunt as a pack. If for example you put half a dozen raptors into the middle of a pen of herbivores, they will get into fights but always one-on-one. Likewise herding herbivores don't group together. The combat between dinos is also very lacking in spectacle - often involving nothing more than a face-off and some roaring which at random points will cause damage to one another. For someone raised on stop-motion battles between triceratops and T-Rex, this is very disappointing. Doubly so when you consider the dino vs human (or goat) animations, which have clearly had time lavished on them.

2. Fences. A small niggle perhaps, but any dino can break any fence. Get an unhappy dino and they will start to attempt to break out of their pen, and even a Struthiomimus (an oversized dino-chicken, the first thing you can create) can peck its way through a thick rebar-concrete wall within a few minutes. A brontosaurus or T-Rex will go through those concrete walls way faster. You are entirely reliant on hearing the boom of a dino attacking its enclosure wall too, and even if you isolate the issue, the chances of your getting a ranger team to the wall to repair it before it is broken through are slim. Even if you do, the dino will just keep on having a tantrum - your only option is to tranq it and put it in another enclosure - not always possible because...

3. The islands are very small. You always struggle for space to get things built, and often end up in a 'needs must' situation where you have buildings crammed in cheek-by-jowl just to make them fit. Plus you only have the 6 islands at your disposal - 5 scenarios and one sandbox. On each, including the sandbox, you only have the toys available to you that you have unlocked. Some unlocks are based upon completing missions, but it is unclear how you go about getting those missions triggered - I think you need to have increased the science/entertainment/military happiness for each to trigger them which in turn means running loads of (not very interesting) contracts for first one, then the next, then the next, in order to complete all the missions on a given island, then do it all again for the rest, i.e. lots of busywork just to unlock stuff.

Some of you will probably be old enough to recall the glut of movie tie-in games produced by the likes of Ocean Software back in the day - they were, with a few notable exceptions, execrable shite. This was mainly because they had to be made in time for the movie release meaning a hurried loveless creation. While Evolution is not one of these, I do feel that it has been rushed to an extent to hit the movie release and that a lot of the attention to detail and little flourishes that would elevate it to greatness have been omitted.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:26 am

Is there a story mode in it Ian? How is the voice acting etc?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am

No there is no story to speak of, just progress from the first to the fifth island which you open by achieving a star rating at each subsequent island. Each island has a premise - one is hit by storms, another you start with a huge deficit following mismanagement etc. Then you have the sandbox island with no cash limit.

Voice acting - well you get Jeff Goldblum wittering away at points, and you have people chiming in from the science, entertainment and military branches (dicks all), thats about it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

He thumbed it up. Some of the game mechanics makes no sense but it looks like a lot of fun
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Like I say, I have had an absolute ball with it. It has delivered just shy of what I wanted.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing