Into the Breach - new game from makers of FTL

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Into the Breach - new game from makers of FTL

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:27 am

You might have seen this already, there's been a fair bit of hype, not least this week with it being released yesterday.

It's a hard one to describe as it sounds hideously complex, but actually it falls into the category of 'quick to learn, hard to master'. I've played half a dozen hours so far and still haven't managed to complete the second of four islands.

So what is it?

Without delving into the story, it's basically comprised of islands divided into regions, each region being a smallish battle arena of 8x8 squares. The placement of buildings, enemies and environmental hazards are randomised. Each region has different objectives and rewards if you achieve certain bonus objectives, and to complete an island you need to beat five regions and a boss.

Enemies take the form of giant bugs/aliens called the Vek, and each has a different attack - some are purely melee, others ranged, some fly, some don't do damage themselves but provide passive buffs to the other Vek in the form of extra hp or making them explode (damaging the tiles around them) on death.

You take control of a team of three giant mechs - you unlock different 'squads' as you play the game, each one having different skills, but at a basic level they'll do damage and/or move the enemies around in different directions.

Each turn sees the enemies move first and then line up their attacks for the next turn. Thus, at the start of your turn, you can see exactly what will happen once you end your own turn - and it's up to you to either kill the enemies in that time, or move them away from key structures.

So far, so simple. Where the complexity comes is in utilising your skills optimally. Often, it's not enough just to damage an enemy - ideally you move them around to set up combos (they take damage if you knock them into one another, or you can move them so their attack damages an ally rather than their intended target). You can also push them into water or chasms for an instant kill, while many of the maps feature additional environmental hazards such as flooding or mines that you can try to use to your advantage.

It's turn-based, so you can take as long as you like to plan out your moves (and for each map you get one turn reset if you really foul something up), but really the maps are pretty quickfire and will take you 10-15 mins tops. Therefore you're looking at around an hour per island, and four or so for the complete run if you get that far, but like I said I've yet to make it to the halfway point.

It's best to see it in action I think to fully appreciate how fun it is, and I recommend one of Christopher Odd's videos:

It's scoring pretty well as well, 93% on PCG and a Recommended from RPS:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... el-review/

https://www.pcgamer.com/into-the-breach-review/

It's £11.40 to buy, which I think is pretty reasonable given the fun and replayability on offer, and note that if you buy it through GOG.com you also get FTL thrown in for free if you don't have it already.

So, yeah, it's good you guys :)
My face is tired.

Asherons

Re: Into the Breach - new game from makers of FTL

Postby Asherons » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm

I had been wanting to buy FTL so this seems like the time to do it. Just picked them both up off GOG

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Well done that man :)

After posting that above, went back into my current campaign and managed to complete the second island without much fuss this time, with the starting team. Have now unlocked the second two islands and the final battle, which apparently scales to your current ability. But I think I'll carry on trying to do the islands and build up my abilities.

Or, knowing me, fail hideously on the first battle and have to restart :lol:
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Looks like it'll be a great ipad game at some point. Still play FTL every few weeks.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm

I've just realised you can mix and match a squad of mechs from the teams you unlock as you progress. This is huge! :o

I've only tinkered with the other squads, largely as in each one there's a mech that feels weak compared to the others or that I've struggled thus far to find much utlity for... but being able to mix it up with more useful mechs from other squads has so much potential. Itching to get back to it, but there's work to do...
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Sly Boots wrote:but there's work to do...

That's a first, Mr All-day-gaming-while-Snowy-works :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:but there's work to do...

That's a first, Mr All-day-gaming-while-Snowy-works :lol:

I know. I blame KCD, but I'm really having to run to catch up with myself now :(
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 am

Made it to the fourth island boss fight in my last playthrough. Was enjoying my best success with the second squad you can unlock... they rely less on direct damage and a bit on pushing enemies about, but their main thing is attacks which cause an electrical storm covering a tile, that cancels the attack of anyone caught within, causes damage at the end of each turn and can't be dispelled. At the end of most fights I've covered half the battlefield in smoke and while there are usually enemies remaining they can't attack anything.

Was doing really well, even the fourth island, which is a total bitch, was just about doable. I got to the boss fight with two power level remaining, but I made a rookie mistake and failed to spot one building square with two towers being targeted, hit end turn when I thought I'd got everything covered and then instant game over. :(

I'm going to try again with that squad, though, much more effective than the more expensive squads I'd unlocked first.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm

I absolutely love this. The reuse of the art style and general presentation from FTL makes it so recognisable and yet the gameplay is actually the polar opposite. Rather than frantically running your crew around trying to man the appropriate parts of your ship, you're meticulously planning your turn out before finally settling on confirming all their movements and watching the action unfold.

My experience so far is that I click to end the turn and then realise that I've forgotten about some of the major game mechanics. I'm only about an hour into the game and yet already my mech warriors seem to be doing more damage to the citizens they're trying to save than the aliens could ever hope to achieve. I've levelled at least four separate skyscrapers by blasting the carcasses of my enemies into the sides of them.

"The Rift Walkers are here!" "Dear God, evacuate the building!" Seems more appropriate for the opening dialogue for each mission.

Ben Prunty has done a great job with the soundtrack once again too. I foresee a great many hours being lost to this elaborate, alien stomping chess game.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Yeah, it's great! :D

Beat the end boss for the first time today. I attempted it just after clearing the second island this time, felt like my Rust squad was upgraded enough to be up to the task, and so it proved. My previous attempt to conquer all four islands before attempting the boss was as disastrous as I'd feared, although I did make it to the boss of the last island.

I've now tried all but the most expensive two squads (I'm three coins away from being able to unlock the next). The Flame Behemoths are great fun to play actually, but feel like the default squad and the Rust mechs are the most well-balanced in terms of beating the game.

But I daresay it's just a question of practising with them and learning the best tactics for using each one.
My face is tired.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 am

Played for a few hours and really enjoyed it. switched up to a custom squad keeping the jet, the lazer beam mech and the punching mech. still have only completed 2 islands but it is pretty fun game

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Ended up staying up till like 2am last night trying to beat a time line, ended the game with 1 energy and one guy still alive to bring to the next time line. I beat three islands and the end game island. Still havent done combat on the fourth island.

Really enjoying the game, only unlocked all the cheap squads but have enough coins to unlock a new batch, not sure which one I'm gonna pick yet

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Asherons wrote:Ended up staying up till like 2am last night trying to beat a time line, ended the game with 1 energy and one guy still alive to bring to the next time line. I beat three islands and the end game island. Still havent done combat on the fourth island.

Really enjoying the game, only unlocked all the cheap squads but have enough coins to unlock a new batch, not sure which one I'm gonna pick yet

The fire squad is fun to play, imo, while the Steel Judoka is probably the least effective in the game, if you want my two cents worth :)
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am

Had to turn the difficulty down to easy as it was proving impossible to defend properly whilst also farming achievement coins to unlock other teams. My first island attempt on Easy went a lot smoother, didn't take a single point of mech or building damage, picked up a few achievements and have unlocked two more teams.

I dread to think what hard mode is like.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 am

What does the difficulty affect? Is it numbers of enemies, or their hp?

I've only played on normal mode thus far. Have one more squad to unlock, but I've reached a point where the remaining achievements to get look borderline impossible, and some of the squads are just either too weak or just feel like a slog to play.
My face is tired.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing