Asherons Call and it's current state

The strategy of playing ones role.
Asherons

Asherons Call and it's current state

Postby Asherons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

At least some of you know of AC but not sure if any really played it. This was the first MMO I ever played and kept with it up until the day it died.
Y'all might know the official servers got taken down just over a year ago but it was quickly picked up by a few different groups trying to make a working emulator.

I play it off and on occasionally but don't sink much time and effort into it because servers aren't quite guaranteed to stay up for long periods of time, and it can take a lot of time to get a character to a pvp ready state.

Currently there are like 2-3 different servers I know of that have a decent population, they have got the loot system up and running , almost every quest functional through the first two expansions of the game, and I hear they are now making progress on aesthetic things like dyeing gear and such.

Another positive thing about having the emulator is people can create their own servers and mod it differently, for awhile I was deep in a server that was perma death with 9x xp and it was some great times, every fight you had was a fight for your life(hours of being setback if you died) and it was more about building your self up as an account as a whole rather then focusing soley on one character, can't wait till the development of the emu is solid enough to where we get long term stable and semi populated servers like this.

I'm excited that it's been worked on so diligently cause it really is one of the most fun games I ever played. But just figured I'd give an update on the game incase any old players were wanting to be able to give it a try again I could point you in the right direction to getting onto one of the more popular serves.

Rusty

Re: Asherons Call and it's current state

Postby Rusty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:00 pm

As I saw the title I wondered if you'd seen this game but then on clicking inside I found you'd started it :)

So, what's it all about? Got any links or stuff? Crazy stories of derring do?

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:35 pm

It's an open world environment with portal networks connecting city's and points of interest together. Giant world map where you can roam around endlessly. Just about every creature is original design and it's all original storyline. They did monthly storyline and game updates for the first like 13 years the game was out.

Here is a link to the world map
http://stevenygard.com/download/ac/dere ... 012-05.png

Originally you could start at one of like 15 different towns but now it's been reduced to two.

For combat, the stongest class is almost always a War mage, there are 4 schools of magic. Life, Item, Creature, and War magic. There was a 5th school itroduced late in the game called Void but it's not been implenented into the emulators yet.

You have a set of attributes which all feed into the development of your skills. You can distribute your XP across your skills/attributes freely as you wish so character building can be fun.

The game has Pvp servers and non pvp servers so if you are interested in learning to play the game without worrying about getting killed randomly it's best to play a non red server.

As far as combat goes it's tab targeting and Melee weapons are pretty simple to use as all you do is click attack and you will auto attack until it's dead.

Archery and mage combat are slightly more difficult as projectiles have paths they fly so you can actively Dodge war spells or arrows that are shot at you.

The game came out in 1999 so the graphics are not very amazing by modern day standards but it's made up for in gameplay and depth of the game.

One of the coolest features the game has I think is the Allegiance system which consists of creating a chain of leadership through swearing your allegiance directly to one person and making them your patron, and you their vassal. Can have a Max of 12 vassals at one time, and through all the chains of leadership it leads up to one person at the top who is the Monarch of the guild.

It's not like most MMOs that require having a healer and tank and dps group to accomplish things as most everyone can be self sufficient through making use of having the magics and being able to heal yourself.

Now a days there are lots of quality of life improvement done via third party programs which are useful if you intend to really dive into the game . But if your just testing it out it's probably not needed.

I always played on the pvp server called Darktide and it was embroiled in constant political turmoil across different guilds over hunting spots, towns, and lifestones. It really used to be alot of fun when the population was higher. As of now population isn't as great on the emu but I hope once they are up to speed with the original game it will pick up in population again.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I'll get a link to download the game when i am home at some point.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 am

here is a link to finding a server to play on if anyone had been interested

https://www.jsonrevival.com/

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 pm

The above link is still good, but a different emu server I was I had just got to level 70, acquired the quest items for a suit of shadow armor and then the admins got caught exploiting and so they shut down the server lol.

Oh well.

A new server is coming up March 4th hosted by a different guy so gonna hop on board with that and see how it goes.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing