Let's Play: Rimworld!

The strategy of playing ones role.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Let's Play: Rimworld!

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:51 pm

I've been wanting to play Rimworld for ages, but never got around to it because I thought it was a bit pricey for a 2D, barely animated sprite-based game. But now, frankly, the whole Battlefront 2 debacle has soured my opinion on big-budget mainstream games to the point where spending £25 on indie games seems downright reasonable. Also it's phenomenally well-reviewed, so that's nice. For those who don't know, it's a space colony sim with a focus on story-telling rather than pure management, all prodded and poked along by an AI director inspired by Left 4 Dead. Your colonists all have very detailed stats and skills, but also personality traits, variable mental health, very specific injuries, relationships with other colonists, and when not looked after they'll maybe decide that they can't take it any longer and murder everything.

And so, I present...

It's always more fun when you assign names to your little people, so I figured you lot might enjoy being part of it. My idea is that I'm going to name the colonists after forum members, although I'm not going to design their skills and traits around the real person. I'll take names from willing volunteers from this thread first, then start going down the forum's memberlist ranked by postcount. Obviously it's all meant to be a bit of fun, but as characters can be male, female, gay, straight, murderous or just plain lazy, let me know if anything bothers you and I can alter the names.

Here's the catch; I've never played Rimworld before. I've barely even watched a Let's Play for more than a few minutes to see if I'd like it. I've been through the very brief tutorial, but this games looks incredibly deep and I'll be learning as I go. Suggestions will always be welcome and I'll implement them as best I can. Obviously games of this type can all go tits up remarkably quickly, so perhaps it'll take a restart or two to really get going.

I'm hopefully going to start the playthrough tomorrow, so if you're interested get your names down now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Let's Play: Rimworld!

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Rimworld was amazing when I played it a year or so ago, and I'm guessing it has even more features and polish now than it did then. I've pretty much decided to wait for the final release now so I'm not burned out by then, like I was for Prison Architect.

And so I'd be honoured to volunteer myself for certain de- I mean, duty <o

And I'm also happy to be whatever RNG decrees that I am :)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm

As for suggestions, there's a chance anything I can add will be out-of-date by now, but make sure to pick up anything that drops onto the ground from orbit, you can get lots of useful supplies that way. Start training someone as an animal handler asap as they can go out and tame the local fauna, which in turn gives you access to milk and other products. Getting some kind of refridgerated room to store meat and cooked meals is highly advisable.

Auto-turrets are good for fending off hostiles, at least while they're fairly primitive. If your guys discover a room hidden while mining it's best to not open it until you're ready to defend yourselves... there can be some really horrible things in those that can wipe out a settlement in moments.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I'm guessing it has even more features and polish now than it did then.

I'll point out one new feature that I noticed from the most recent devblog:

Boomalopes can be milked for chemfuel

I can only guess at what a Boomalope is and what you use Chemfuel for, but it pretty much sold it to me.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Yeah, some of the local fauna has a tendency to explode when upset. It's worth throwing up walls of some kind asap to deter things like that... but if they do get in it's best to leave them well alone till they potter off of their own accord.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Colonist DjhunKfunK reporting for death...I mean duty.

Looking forward to reading this.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Reporting for death may be more accurate; I managed to get one of my three colonists killed in the tutorial. She was shot in the head by one of the other colonists.

I don't know how often you get new people in your settlement, but I suspect I'll be down to the x-hundred post counts within a short amount of time.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Raid wrote:Reporting for death may be more accurate; I managed to get one of my three colonists killed in the tutorial. She was shot in the head by one of the other colonists.

I don't know how often you get new people in your settlement, but I suspect I'll be down to the x-hundred post counts within a short amount of time.

It's pretty rare. Occasionally someone will crash to earth in a pod (but will need medical attention iirc), sometimes someone escapes from nearby slavers and runs into your settlement. I don't think I've ever got more than an extra settler or two in a game. But I'm not sure if that has changed since I last played.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm going to need a name for the colony; any suggestions? It's not going to be Colony McColonyface.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I'll step forward for death duty also. Prefer to be male :)

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Raid wrote:I'm going to need a name for the colony; any suggestions? It's not going to be Colony McColonyface.

How about Praise World? Give it an evangelical feeling.

Also happy to be singled out for early roll call.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:03 pm

DIdn't we get hacked back in the early days by non-English speakers who thought we were some sort of evangelical website?

I like it, though still open to other ideas.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 am

I'd like to be a character, no preference. Seeing as I'm Hitler according to that Villain Test this should be interesting.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 pm

And we begin!

Episode 1: Planetfall

We open our adventure around a fairly small Earth-like planet which seems to be in the early stages of continental drift, as it is covered largely by ocean, but with a single major landmass comprising around 30% of the surface. The Prey's sensors detect signs of the early stages of colonisation or native inhabitation, but this thing wasn't exactly built by the highest bidder and scan resolution is too low to accurately determine which.

But calamity! Our plucky colonists emerge from their cryosleep to the blaze of sirens and the terrifying sounds of explosions! The evacuation order is given before the captain's voice is cut off due to the comm system is damaged. Although the ship carries hundreds, there is so much damage that people are isolated in small sections, and three of the passengers meet near a section of escape pods:

Jez, an escaped convict, developed a love of manual labour while incarcerated, and also something of a green thumb in the prison greenhouses. Given his former life of crime, he's quite adept at stabbing things.

Djchunk (there's a character limit of 9 for names so I had to shorten it) was a construction drone on a hiveworld. A self-proclaimed fairly simple man, he does enjoy a nice bit of hard graft, something he can really get his arm muscles working for. He's unable to find his wife Kelly on the way to the escape pods.

Sly Boots is a former civil servant, who, like most civil servants, is pretty handy with firearms following the much maligned recruitment drive from the military. She claims to be "a bit psychic", which probably explains why she dislikes and distrusts men so much. Her looks have faded over the years, but she always had her pet dog Ernesto, who manages to escape his kennel and meet her in the escape pods.

The escape pod computers plot a suitable landing site; nothing too mountainous with what look to be adequate supplies of fresh water. Unfortunately the ship's network, a bit dodgy at the best of times, has crashed due to the accident and only the three pods from this block connect to one another for a shared landing site.

First things first, gather the emergency supplies from the pods and put up a quick log cabin. It would have been a tent, but Dj wouldn't stand for that, not with so much great lumber lying around. Still, it's a bit time critical so a nicely boarded floor and carpets will have to come later.

As night falls, Dj is putting the finishing touches to the beds as Jez decides that rocky outcrop needs to go. Sly glares at a tree.

Rising early, Sly decides she's had enough of that raccoon-looking thing that was wandering around the site yesterday. Worried that it might bite poor Ernesto, she takes some shots at it with the rifle. She misses so badly that she blows a hole in the cabin wall. Dj is not pleased and has to patch it back up. Worried about these slightly psychotic tendencies after just one day, they stick a peg in the ground to throw horseshoes at.
Last edited by Raid on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:16 pm

So the award for 'most likely to go berserk and murder their fellow colonists' award looks like a straight toss-up between me and Jez at this point :lol:
My face is tired.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing