Battle Chasers: Nightwar

The strategy of playing ones role.
User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12686
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Originally posted in the 'games you're currently playing' thread, but seeing as no-one else has mentioned it, and seeing as I'm enjoying this more the more I play, thought I'd upgrade it to full thread status :)

PCG just gave it a good rating as well:

http://www.pcgamer.com/battle-chasers-nightwar-review/

While Steam user reviews have also been very flattering.

So what is it? Briefly it's a JRPG-style game from (I believe) western developers, based on a cult but obscure 90s cartoon/comic series. It also looks gorgeous.

Here's what I wrote in the previous thread to explain it a bit:

Sly Boots wrote:Have been playing a fair bit of Battle Chasers: Nightwar recently.

The name is a bit generic, like something a random generator might spit out (I gather it's based on a comic or cartoon, but I'm not familiar with it), but the game itself is pretty charming. It's lovely to look at too - very stylised cartoony, a bit like Torchlight I'd say.

Essentially it's a JRPG style thing, so if you don't generally enjoy those then steer away. There's a lot of combat, so if you don't enjoy the genre mechanics you'll tire of this pretty quickly. But if you like Final Fantasy and the like, you'd probably get a lot out of this.

So there's a few elements at play. For the most part you'll be trolling around an overworld going from dungeon to dungeon, to quest location to etc... along the way fighting groups of enemies. These are marked on the map, so you'll always see them coming.

Occasionally you'll stumble into what is called an 'exploration area', where it switches to a third-person isometric style doodad where you explore the area in a bit more detail, find loot, interact with things and fight more enemies.

Then, when you're go to a quest location, more often than not you'll enter a dungeon. These areas allow you to select higher difficulties for better rewards. Generally the mobs you'll meet on the overworld are trash and easily dispatched, but I had a bit of a tougher time in a dungeon on hard mode (there's a legendary mode that unlocks after you've completed a dungeon, but I've not felt much compunction yet to replay one to test out that difficulty). Dungeons play out similar to exploration mode, except it's a long series of rooms with lots of battles with tougher enemies, even more loot, crafting stations and background lore to uncover (I skim these honestly, but you get a little bonus at the end if you find them all). The dungeons so far take a bit longer than you might expect, probably about an hour, but you can save and exit, then when you come back you're at the start again but enemies don't seem to respawn, and there are teleports to quickly get you back near to where you left off.

On the combat front there aren't a lot of innovations beyond what you'd normally expect from a JRPG, but it works very well and there's a good variety of skills and abilities that gradually unlock as you level.

Overall, recommended.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12686
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:09 pm

I really want other people to buy this so we can talk about it :lol:

If it helps, can be had for £18.50 on Instant Gaming:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1520- ... -nightwar/
My face is tired.

arqueturus
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby arqueturus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I really want other people to buy this so we can talk about it :lol:

If it helps, can be had for £18.50 on Instant Gaming:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1520- ... -nightwar/



I'm properly on the fence for this one - I was just about to buy it but then read that the late game was unbalanced and a mess which has made me want to wait for a sail.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12686
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:25 pm

arqueturus wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:I really want other people to buy this so we can talk about it :lol:

If it helps, can be had for £18.50 on Instant Gaming:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1520- ... -nightwar/



I'm properly on the fence for this one - I was just about to buy it but then read that the late game was unbalanced and a mess which has made me want to wait for a sail.


I've heard the last boss isn't much fun, but haven't seen those comments myself.

There was a big patch released a few days ago that was supposed to have addressed the criticisms about having to grind, by making level-ups more frequent.
My face is tired.

arqueturus
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby arqueturus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
arqueturus wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:I really want other people to buy this so we can talk about it :lol:

If it helps, can be had for £18.50 on Instant Gaming:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1520- ... -nightwar/



I'm properly on the fence for this one - I was just about to buy it but then read that the late game was unbalanced and a mess which has made me want to wait for a sail.


I've heard the last boss isn't much fun, but haven't seen those comments myself.

There was a big patch released a few days ago that was supposed to have addressed the criticisms about having to grind, by making level-ups more frequent.


Does your inactive party members still not level as your active ones do?

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12686
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:30 pm

arqueturus wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
arqueturus wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:I really want other people to buy this so we can talk about it :lol:

If it helps, can be had for £18.50 on Instant Gaming:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1520- ... -nightwar/



I'm properly on the fence for this one - I was just about to buy it but then read that the late game was unbalanced and a mess which has made me want to wait for a sail.


I've heard the last boss isn't much fun, but haven't seen those comments myself.

There was a big patch released a few days ago that was supposed to have addressed the criticisms about having to grind, by making level-ups more frequent.


Does your inactive party members still not level as your active ones do?


Yeah, that is a fairly big problem and my main (only, really) gripe with it. I've skirted round the problem by finding a party composition I like and sticking with it.

I'm hoping they change that in a patch, although if I really want to bring back a former companion who's been languishing for a few levels, if you can nurse them through a few high-level fights they receive much more XP from each and thus will gain a few levels relatively quickly.
My face is tired.

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
 
Posts: 24146
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Re: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:38 pm

I don't see them changing that party member thing, it's a mechanic of old JRPGs which this game is meant to be riffing off of.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.


Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron