Divinity Original Sin 2: Out Sept 14th

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Divinity Original Sin 2: Out Sept 14th

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am

One week to go! :o

Super-excited for this one. The Early Access was great, and that didn't even include at least one of the story NPCs or the undead playable race - which sounds amazing.

My main concerns with the first were the slightly forgettable story and characters, they've really addressed both in the sequel imo, even just based on the first act, which is all I've played (around 25% of the full game).

Stoked for this.
My face is tired.

Jez

Re: Divinity Original Sin 2: Out Sept 14th

Postby Jez » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 am

Didn't finish the first personally. It was a little low tech maybe ... can't really remember why I stopped playing it.

Might check the next one out.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:15 pm

From what I've seen (again, only the first act), you won't miss out on anything story-wise by diving straight into DOS2 without having completed the first one. The only character who really gets referred to contextually is the main character from the very first Divine Divinity way back in the day. And even then you're kind of told everything you need to know and if you didn't even remember he was in that first game (or even that that game existed) it's not a problem.

All the various factions in this get enough introduction to know what they're about imo. Even having played the first game it's a bit daunting at first, but if you give it a few hours to get going it finds its feet pretty quickly.

The combat is still ace, but they've put a lot more effort into the characters and story this time, if that's part of the reason why you bounced off the first to an extent.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:26 pm

I've got my eye on this one.

I loved the combat system in the first game, but yeah, everything else felt rather flat. If they do indeed manage to bulk up the rest of the game this time and make it more memorable, it could be fantastic.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 pm

I really need to play the first one. I've read a little about the undead class mechanics for the sequel and it sounds like great fun.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Mantis wrote:I really need to play the first one. I've read a little about the undead class mechanics for the sequel and it sounds like great fun.

It really does. I was a bit meh about playing an undead until I read about what the class does, and it sounds like it could be a very intriguing play-through.

I love games that play out a bit differently depending on what you're playing as, and this sounds like it's very adaptive.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:32 pm

The first act in One was great it was only after that that the game started to fall apart a bit for me. So I still expect the start of Two to be good, I just hope it sustains itself for longer this time.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I just love the battle system. When I play PoE I just want the DOS combat in there.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:The first act in One was great it was only after that that the game started to fall apart a bit for me. So I still expect the start of Two to be good, I just hope it sustains itself for longer this time.

Apparently the enhanced edition improved a lot of the post act 1 game.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Random cat killed by NPC, the world mourns:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ore-476377

While it's an amusing/callously horrific story, I thought I'd use it to say something I meant to say earlier but forgot.

In the character setup screen, when you're selecting traits, make sure to pick up Pet Pal. It's a seemingly minor, nay pointless trait to have and choosing it over more immediately beneficial ones will almost certainly make the initial hours of combat a little harder.

However, anyone who used the skill in the first DOS will know what it does: confer upon the character the ability to talk to any animals in the game. This varies in use - often in dungeons they'll be a rat or something that offers a hint about what you have to do. At least once in DOS1 having it opened up an alternative way of completing a major quest... but most often it simply adds interest to your adventure. In the opening minutes of the Early Access there's a sheep in a cage and I immediately regretted not taking Pet Pal - a mistake I corrected as soon as I could (when I hit level 4, I think, some hours later). I know for a fact there are other creatures (no spoilers) in the opening act who could help change events as I played them had I been able to talk to them.

And then of course there's John's poor dead kitty. Having a chat with that, which I wasn't able to do before, is almost what I'm most looking forward to doing when this comes out :lol:
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Who wouldn't take pet pal?

I haven't played the EA version, do you have to take one of the pre-made characters or can you create your own?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Edwin wrote:Who wouldn't take pet pal?

I haven't played the EA version, do you have to take one of the pre-made characters or can you create your own?

Either!

In the EA I took one of the pre-made ones that has a background and their own storyline etc, but you could play a fully customisable character of any class (in fact the preset character can also be any class you like, but the racial bonuses for certain, uh, races means they're better used in a particular class).
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 am

Still awaiting on the CE to arrive here as well! :D
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:03 pm

It's downloading! Eek! :o
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

It's ready!

... and I have to go out for a while as some inconsiderate bastards are coming round to view our house :cry:

Will get stuck into this properly this evening, I think.
My face is tired.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing