Dave's Dogma: Dark Aroma

The strategy of playing ones role.
Prey
Admin

Dave's Dogma: Dark Aroma

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am

So I've got into Dragon's Dogma in a big way. I kind of knew within the first few say 10 hours that it was something that I was going to enjoy but what I experienced during those first hours was merely the tip of the iceberg compared to what I know now. For a game that originally released on the PS3 this game is not only vast in nature but also quite intricate too and although some of the lands may seem somewhat sparse every new dungeon you come across below ground more than makes up for anything lacking above ground even though in all honesty it's not actually all that lacking. For a lot of the first hours you do tend to feel as though you are playing some kind of free to play western styled JRPG as all the characters have that look about them and the weapons and magic spells are all just plain fucking nuts in design. Some of the spells my pawns pull off mid fight have had me just stopping doing whatever I was doing and just staring at it happening in complete awe. I wish they would stop actually as it's all rather off putting. -_-

Having just reached The Bluemoon Tower last night and took on the Griffin that had been bringing chaos to the lands and having took it down I was awarded the rather nice looking Gryphic Armour chest piece. That's cool I thought, I was hoping it was the full set though. Then upon searching around every little inch I could before I left I came across a chest hidden deep along a collapsed wall that contained the Gryphic leggings - but I couldn't actually loot them as both and I and both of my other pawns were heavily overencumbered and I'd lost my 4th pawn to the damn Griffin meaning I had lost a full inventory slot I could have used if she was indeed light enough. I decided to relinquish a very heavy shield I had on me in favour of them as I already had a rather nice skull embezzled shield on my back anyway. After returning to the main capital Grensys I also found that the entire armour set was now available for me to buy so I went all out...

I had previously been using the unnamed armour set which was a one piece set so you couldn't have any form of helmet and there's so many armour variations in this game it seems a waste to just not explore the many armour sets available as they unlock after successful questing. Anyway at around the 25 hour mark I decided to change from my original Fighter vocation to that of the much more cool sounding Mystic Knight a knight that as obvious as it sounds can wield both melee weaponry and can do also dish out magical spell damage. I'd also changed over due to the fact I was always ending up over encumbered with my Fighter and the Mystic could carry a lot more only to find myself still yep overencumbered all the bloody time anyway. The Mystic Knight has a fantastic range of skills and fully imbue both his sword and shield with different forms of magic depended on what's needed in a scrap but he's also extremely solid as a full on melee attacker who can send goblins flying into the air or jump 20ft right into their faces with a heady smack to the face. Holylight, Darklight and others all make up his arsenal and each can have a very different effect on its foe be it goblin, skeleton, zombie or human. There's a hell of a lot to play around with skill set wise and I've only just started using High sets while there are Grand sets on top of those too.

See at this point I could get all technical on your arse and just post shit loads of stat based screens but I'd rather not. I'd rather just come on here and post concerning whatever adventure I just had and keep it a bit more simple as I delve deeper and deeper into the game. For now I will concentrate on attempting to share some Gransys based adventuring keeping it nice and simple. As I already mentioned in the playing harder thread this is very much turning out to be my own personal Dark Souls gaming experience. Lords of the Fallen almost got me there a while back but it didn't have the scope or imagination Dragon's Dogma has in spades and it especially didn't have the amazing battle structure that allows you to literally climb all over a massive ass Cyclops bashing away at its weak points so that it can't use it's huge er weapon to take it down to the ground before you stab it right in the bloody eye. Dead. I actually rode a Cyclops right off the edge of a cliff once as it went mental on me and stepped off then fell all the way down to a beach below and I survived with just 10 health points and very little strength/stamina holding on for dear life while it perished in the landing. Man it felt awesome.

Hopefully I can engage some of you in my adventures as I progress further if not at least I have something to look back on myself as I often wish I had done something similar to this with games such as this that are just fit to bursting for you to spill stuff out on after each and every game session.

Expect more tonight...

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Dave's Dogma: Dark Aroma

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 am

Oh, here we go. Here's Prey to wax lyrical about a game I've hovered over buying in the last three Steam sales, luring me with exciting tales of derring-do...

You're a bad, bad man :x

:wink:
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 am

When I'm thoroughly enjoying a game as much as this waxing lyrically is what I do best. :P

Also I am lvl 40+ and I watched a video of another Mystic Knight character and this guys Knight was lvl 173. :shock:

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 pm

I did intend to post more yesterday evening but got a little too caught up in adventuring. I've now stream lined my group down to just myself and my own pawn because some battles were just becoming so cluttered I just didn't have it in me to micromanage all three and it was much quicker to just slap on a spell of my own than to wait for the often tediously lengthy spell times both Mages and Sorcerer's are made up of to either heal or even just attack. A party of two feels more right as of now but I've not yet encountered an area in which I'm massively struggling to cope with the loss of two no doubt that moment will come and I will be wishing I'd left it as it were. I will deal with that if and when it arises. Good thing I have a sword that now does about the same level of magic damage as it does normal damage.

Petrifaction. If you ever do play this game learn this particular word well as it will literally slow down your chances of progression if indeed it ever comes into close proximity with you. Yes I know you know what it is already I'm just sayin'! It can of course be countered with a certain spell bottle Secret Softener but it's still very much the bane of many a player if they reach certain areas and are simply not properly prepared for it as if I'm correct only the Sorcerer class can directly do anything about it so if you don't have one of those in your party well, good luck with that. The very first time I met an enemy that oh so gently introduced me to the wonders of it I was completely and utterly so instantly screwed as I waged into battle it made my head spin and my blood boil. I'd gone all that way and upon reloading made a hasty retreat to lick my wounds.

I've reached a northern area region known as the greatwall and upon arriving expecting to be welcomed wasn't even bloody allowed inside even though I'd made the journey up it's lengthy treacherous paths which was quite the come down I must admit. Very often the larger castles in the game have a connected and very specific cave entrance which must be located to gain entry instead problem is that the very cave I believe will get me in is currently guarded by the biggest enemy I think I've encountered in the game so far and I just know there's no way in hell I'm going to defeat it just yet to gain access. I've very much gone the Warcraft road with this pressing on into areas that are becoming ever increasingly more difficult but the old adventurer in me just wishes to discover more and more new places even if that means literally running past or away from everything I come across in the process. I was a git for that during my WoW play years and stuck my nose into many an area I was in no way shape or form prepared to actually be. Damn you constant need for new discovery.

At long last I have managed to get access to a few new weapon/armour vendors one of which strangely is a grocer yet he sells some of the best stuff I've seen in the game yet. Most odd. Problem is as all those flashing NEW symbols arrive making you all excited at the prospect so too does the massive hike in price as you enter an establishment with your 700k gold thinking you could buy anything your little heart desired only for the cheapest new weapon to be something like 950k or more all on its own. I feel the best strategy is to just enhance everything you have to the max three stars and just send anything you can to the store room so you can just sell it all once you return back. Any mobile salesman you come across has direct links to your store room so it's nothing too difficult to run back and forth unloaded then loading up etc a few times.

There's loads more I could add here but I'm right in the middle of a fairly special quest and wanted to save that till another time. Can someone loan me 850k in gold by the way? No? Ok.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Portcrystals are your very best friend. Thank fuck for Portcrystals.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:28 pm

You utter bastard. Never heard of this game.
Bought it now based on your glowing review :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Ah crap. If you bought Dave's Dogma: Dark Aroma I'm afraid you bought the wrong game! It's actually called Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. :P

Nice man. If you never played it on last gen it really is worth a punt on the PC even if that 2012 PS3 built game design tends to shine through a great deal it's actually very solid game design all the same and easily ranks up there with some of my most beloved RPG gaming experiences so far even though there's a long way to go to actually complete the game still.

I'm currently deep in the depths of EverFall myself and that place is bloody huge with a whole series of levers that give you access to other areas within as it closes off others. Running around in my newly acquired Chimeric Armor Set at lvl 47. It's not the best magic stats wise but you can easily make up for this with a higher magic weapon in tow. Here's a little something I recorded earlier...

If I at all make the game look mundane believe me it isn't as I'm actually playing on Normal and it's still quite the challenge. Dungeons below are much more full on with all manner of enemies and boss fights obviously compared to just wandering around the open lands above entering into random encounters. There's also a a lot in the game I'm still yet to get my head around concerning the magic and item systems. As Edwin mentioned there is indeed some a collect 50 wolf skins side quests but in the games defence much of these end up being vital items for enhancements and the like as you progress. The main story itself comes and goes depending on what order you tackle things but it has me entertained/invested so far.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 am

I am going to reserve judgement - Rusty let us have your thoughts.

Bought some gems on the back of Dave's frothings, but some duds too. This one has failed to lure me so far but I am curious.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Well Iv'e now faced my first true Dragon in the game and yeah it didn't go well. The game does warn you pre-fight that you should be as prepared as you possibly can be and at just shy of lvl 50 now with the most advanced gear I could get my hands on and plenty of potions for health, stamina and my team I somewhat reluctantly went for it. BIG MISTAKE. This thing is a beast unlike anything I've yet encountered in the game which of course you would scoff at as if to say well yeah - it's a fucking Dragon Dave you twatter. Yep I know. Yet still my naivety got the better of me and I actually thought I'd be in with a fighting chance. I only managed a single strike at its heart and that alone was a complete fluke.

Also as helpful as your pawns can be they don't half get in the way and need constant babysitting during any boss fights but then once again now I think on it this could also be my fault having not prepared them well enough before hand either. The combination of a Mage, Warrior and a Ranger all at my level and very well armed I thought would see me through but nay. We threw everything we had at it combined and barely scraped it. So now is a time for reflection and doing other things for a considerable amount of time before I attempt it once more. I did get my very first piece of Dragon armour out of it via a chest but it's the Immortal's or custom Paladin's armour set I'm really craving on getting my hands on.

The good thing is Dragon's are only one of a whole slew of Bosses in the game so it's time to venture forth and track one of them down instead for now y'know one I can actually kill. That would be nice.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Made it into the deadly but very beautiful Gutter of Misery tonight and man does it live up to its name. I won't spoil the eye opening surprise for anyone but rest assured it's one that will stay with you once you reach it if indeed you ever play the game. During my time spent in this place I've lost every single one of my pawns and am now all alone trying to fight my way through to a relic stone so that I may summon one or all of them back with me again, I do really like how the game plays when you are on your own but this area is not one I will be able to complete solo no matter how much I attempt it or just run my way through it so if it looks like I'm doing crap just keep in mind it took four of us to get in here in the first place. I'm just hoping to get out now with some of the new gear I looted. Take a look...

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:01 am

So after a quick play:

I like:
The open world. Feels nice to move around in it and houses are not separate instances and you just walk in.
Exploration is rewarded.
The camera movement and feel of the character is good (using k&M)

I don't like:
It took me friggin' ages to get the game running properly. It tried to do 21:9 ratio but failed. Playing it with black bars at 16:9 resolution.
The general UI. It's so clunky. Easy to see the console origins.

I haven't got to grips with the fighting yet and tend to just spam the attack button which currently works.
It's good enough for me to put my Final Fantasy 7 replay on hold.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 am

Don't think that video is showing it in the best light (maybe it wasn't supposed to).

For starter haven't a clue what you were doing in most of the video, you seemed to be casting some sort of spells which maybe were doing something? Vortex Sigel one moment, then stone something the next then enchanted holy another and none of them really seemed to be achieving anything, aside from some fire spell thing.

A dark old dungeon isn't a great way to show off things either, its dark and hemmed in.

Do you happen to have a section of the game that might be a bit clearer? Something that shows it off at its best? A commentary would be great too :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:50 am

Heres angry Joe, would you say this is a fair review? Seriously thinking of getting this but he does make some good points.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:20 am

i think the PC version may have fixed some of these points. He still gave it a 7 out of 10 which is pretty good.
Plus it's only about 8 quid from CD keys

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am

Quickly concerning Joe's review. The price of the Ferrystone's for the PC version have been reduced from 20,000 that Joe mentions to just 2,000 gold pieces and money is not hard to make in this game. I currently have well over 900,000 sat in my purse and plenty I could sell to take it even higher. Secondly Portcrystals are awarded after killing bosses and these can be placed anywhere you wish within the game world basically setting up your very own fast travel system to parts of the map you yourself predetermined. The only bug bear obviously being you have had to physically get there in the first place but just stack up on stamina potions and it's not that big a deal. Besides the game is trying to make you feel like an adventurer and there's loads of stuff you would miss plotted around (hidden chests, hidden caves, mini bosses etc etc) had you just magically travelled from place to place all the time.

Jez wrote:Don't think that video is showing it in the best light (maybe it wasn't supposed to).

For starter haven't a clue what you were doing in most of the video, you seemed to be casting some sort of spells which maybe were doing something? Vortex Sigel one moment, then stone something the next then enchanted holy another and none of them really seemed to be achieving anything, aside from some fire spell thing.

Ok so Vortex Sigil is intended to slow down enemies as they approach allowing you to half their attack speed. Stone Forest brings up the ground in an earthquake to send enemies into the air and the reason it tends to look clunky is because the time to commit spell is still fairly long as there are other versions of everything that quickens the process and spell effect areas. You're right in saying I wasn't really achieving what I was attempting but that was also kinda the point of the video as I'd suddenly found myself with my entire plan had already gone completely to shit by this point losing all my pawns, most of my magic inventory for buffs and was clearly struggling to proceed - but I still wanted to give it a shot as pointless as it seemed. I could have just used a ferrystone to warp my way out of there but I wanted to press on to see just how far I could get before commencing normally.

Jez wrote:A dark old dungeon isn't a great way to show off things either, its dark and hemmed in.

This is true but I also thought it would be a little bit cleaner showing a one on one without 3 pawns all running around buffing me and also taking damage in a relatively tight area. I made the clip simply to show how the difficulty in this area had ramped up significantly and again I don't have the extra buffs I would normally have from my pawns. It also wouldn't be that dark had I not kept getting wet which extinguishes your lanterns light thus I was using my Holy Enchanter more both as a primary light source that they couldn't extinguish and something that does additional damage on that particular enemy type. As Rusty no doubt already knows the games dark areas and night time are about as dark as can be and you may have to put up the brightness now and again to rectify it. It's intended to heighten tension and force you to make use of the lantern mechanic but not everyone will welcome it as you need to constantly micro manage the oil level on it too.

Jez wrote:Do you happen to have a section of the game that might be a bit clearer? Something that shows it off at its best? A commentary would be great too :)

There's far better videos already on Youtube than anything I could upload at this point with exactly what you are looking for man as little old me is simply trying to catalogue his own adventure as he goes along, for better or for worse. As for the commentary you know I hate my voice and always did while doing the PWF podcasts plus it's real hard to find quiet time here with 4 other people buzzing around all the time it would be kinda redundant to even try tbh.

I assumed that the aspect ratio issue was already fixed with the PC version but if not here's something to sort it out...

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/en

Or here...

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Specia ... 064752815/

Some people will want a Dark Souls experience others will want a Dragon Age experience. The great thing about this game is you can have both or even a mixture if you so wish.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing