Dune 2 - Replay

The strategy of playing ones role.
Rusty

Dune 2 - Replay

Postby Rusty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:35 am

So, I've been off work for a week and have done not much else apart from watch youtube videos. Eventually I started watching retro gaming vids that brought a tear to my eye on all the Amiga classics I enjoyed, then I saw someone play Dune 2.

Then it hit me how much I loved this game, I don't even really like RTS games, but this one enthralled me. Maybe it was the setting.

I recall replaying it a few years back and realising just how bad it was functionally. Each unit has to be clicked individually, each unit has to be told to attack individually, the resolution was so low you couldn't see much and the scrolling didn't help. Plus others things.

Now I read about something that's been running a long time called Dune Legacy.
Wow, game changer. It's suddenly allowed me to play at 3440x1440. I can now multi select units. There's even options to change the enemy AI (requires a brand new campaign, so no switching on hard missions to skip) and many others. Including the option to play it as it was in case you get the urge to cause yourself pain.

You need the original Dune 2 for the .PAK files but since I can't find my disks/Cds I found a copy online...
Then install this: http://dunelegacy.sourceforge.net/website/ and copy the PAK files over.

Well, it's kept me amused for several hours :)

Mantis
Admin

Re: Dune 2 - Replay

Postby Mantis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:48 am

Can't remember whether this is the version I played on PS1 years ago. You had to build concrete tiles on the floor to be able to build any other buildings safely. It was a solid game back then for 12 year old me.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:50 am

Loved a bit of Dune 2 back in the day. The only RTS I ever really enjoyed, to tell the truth.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 pm

God damn, I'm getting my ass handed to me now on level 5 or 6 I think it is. Can't get enough defences up before I get overrun with them big ass Harkonnen tanks. Keep trying!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am

Sly Boots wrote:Loved a bit of Dune 2 back in the day. The only RTS I ever really enjoyed, to tell the truth.

Same for me. I loved this game, even though I was the world's worst turtle - walls, endless turrets, and a massive buildup of tanks please! Always played as the Harkonnen as I loved the fact that their tanks went thermonuclear when they were destroyed, so charging them into enemy bases was a great tactic. Plus I liked the Harkonnen brand of Kim Jong Un missiles that might or might not hit their target.

I remember seeing Command and Conquer come out before I got my first PC, which was not available on the Amiga (which I used for Dune 2), and dreaming of being able to play it. When I finally did, and it was more of a puzzle game than the pitched battles of Dune 2, I was gutted and lost interest almost immediately.

I was always disappointed that when you finally unlocked the Fremen on the Atreides campaign, that they could not ride sandworms.

Might have to pick this up though, good shout.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 am

Played the same way turtle, then massive tank rush. I used to spend hours devising routes for the enemy to take to reach my base, bristling with rocket turrets and just obliterating everything that tried it.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am

I've now found that my usual tactic of turtling doesn't seem to work. I have to be quite aggressive to win now, if you give the AI any leeway it's built up a massive base and army itself.
It'#s actually a bit off putting. I loved my tank building behind a nice fat wall :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 am

Rusty wrote:I've now found that my usual tactic of turtling doesn't seem to work. I have to be quite aggressive to win now, if you give the AI any leeway it's built up a massive base and army itself.
It'#s actually a bit off putting. I loved my tank building behind a nice fat wall :)

Trying to remember now how I played the later levels. It's probably been about 25 years :lol:

There's a lot to be said for being a sneak sneaky bastard... building up a modest force of light and fast vehicles (the quads more so than the trikes), taking them round the outside of the map and then popping up at the rear of the enemy base. Take out their construction yard (it might take a few sorties to blow it up completely) and a couple of the production buildings if you're feeling adventurous, then it's just a case of whittling them down in head to head battles... you being able to build new vehicles and them not.

Also, when the AI starts lobbing nukes at you, it's worth save-scumming. Those things are hella inaccurate, so a good chance they'll miss with a reload, but if they score a direct hit you're probably fucked.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Pretty sure that's what i used to do. Now, as soon as you attack either a harvester or a building,every unit on the opposing force reacts and attacks you and then once they've done you over, they storm off to your base where you're probably defenceless as you sent all your units in sneaky like.

I'm pretty sure they've changed the AI.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Ah, yeah, sounds like it :(
My face is tired.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing