The Greatest RPG nobody played...

The strategy of playing ones role.
Prey
Admin

The Greatest RPG nobody played...

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Games then. Games are a direct and very personalised way of transporting yourself into another world that someone else has toiled and sweat over to create for countless hours that are set to fill our precious time with memorable tales and journeys into the deep unknown. During my many years of gaming there has always been one pivotal moment that has remained with me ever since and that moment was when I was guiding my 3D based character down a long winding colourful path deep within the forests of a place kniown as Ashenvale within World of Warcraft. That moment I discovered just what gaming was all about, in that moment I found true enlightenment nay fulfilment and a specific feeling that has rarely been repeated since...

Moving back to Amalur an excerpt taken from a 2013 RPS article on the ultimate fate of the game...

Amalur is impressive on a number of levels. The two most important are its distilling of the very best of an action-RPG MMO into a single-player game, and its meta-commentary on the very nature of games.

It’s not a surprise that the game should have so many similarities with a game like World Of Warcraft. Of the two teams that made it, 38 Studios and Big Huge Games, the former was already working on an MMO. The doomed developer, with all that money via the deals of baseballist Curt Schilling, had been developing a massive universe along with author R.A. Salvatore, with a 10,000 year history, and all the background needed to create an ongoing, online game. After 38 bought BHG, along with them came not only the Big Huge Engine, but an RPG they’d been working on for THQ. The two, like the studios, were combined. Goodness knows what either might have been, but the combination is a purely single-player RPG with the depth and breadth of an online world.

Therein lies the true magic of the game. Everything that an online world provides minus the hassle of other players constantly harrising you for spare gold coins or being suddenly ganked by an unruly enemy group. It's all about catering to your own pace, your own rules.

As a gamer himself of no less than thirty years one time baseball legend "Curt" Schilling had a dream all his very own - to create an RPG the likes of which had never been seen before. That game was to be known as Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and it was a personal project he believed in so deeply he even invested $50 Million of his own money into getting it developed by 38 Studios (formerly Green Monster Games) and through publisher EA. His intentions while true and oh so noble were also very much the ultimate risk as not only was Reckoning a completely unknown IP but the developer was also unknown and this was their very first AAA delivered undertaking. The fact it even got made and released to the masses was its first overcome obstacle.

Two years earlier the much anticipated Fable III released to a less than favourable reception from gamers and considering Fable II was and remains to this day so highly renowned the fact Fable III turned out to be just so damn generic spelled the end of an otherwise fantastic IP's lengthy journey. Two years on and fresh faced Kingdoms of Amalur finally releases to not only great reviews but a just as positive reception from those who took the plunge on it. I mean just take a loot at these review scores...

Joystiq – 5/5
IncGamers – 9
1UP – B+
GameTrailers – 8.2
Videogamzone.de – 81/100
Videogamer – 8
GamingXp – 8
GamesTM – 8
GamesRadar – 8
Destructoid – 8
Eurogamer – 8
GameInformer – 8
CVG – 7.8
Gamespot – 7.5
Eurogamer Italy – 9
OPM – 8
Guardian – 5/5
PCGames.de – 81/100
GameStar.de – 8
GameFront – 85/100
RipTen – 8.5

So how exactly then does a game as an unproven IP receive mostly positive review scores, sell an estimated 330k in its first month alone and yet end up with both dreaming the dream Schilling losing the vast majority of his personal fortune and the obviously very talented developer 38 Studios & Big Huge Games closing down? Poor marketing? Nope. I remember the game was plastered all over TV leading up to release. Why the game ended up being so overlooked has always remained a complete mystery to me personally.

This game is beyond beastly. it's like WOW and skyrim had a child, and that child grew into the shoes of both titles accordingly. why 38 studios and big huge went bankrupt making this, I have no idea, but this game is magnificent.

As I'm now on my 4th playthrough of the game myself I'd just like those of you who were among those who overlooked the game to simply take a quick look at the games most recent reviews Steam page below...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10250 ... views_hash

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is currently £4.99 in the Winter Steam Sale. If you are in the mood for a great (and very time consuming some have reached 300+ hours) RPG experience then what the hell are you waiting for? Glory awaits. We may never have gotten Project Copernicus but I will always always be thankful that we got to play Kingdoms because death is not the end, death is merely the beginning.

Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: The Greatest RPG nobody played...

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 pm

I played it!

It's good. It won't go down as a favourite of mine, though. The world was just a bit too shallow and yet too large, both together meaning that making it to the end ended up being a bit of a slog. But, yeah. There are far worse games that were a success, a shame that a pretty fun and very competently made one sank an entire studio.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Over your write ups dave they always make me want to buy a thing.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Original Sin had less talk and was infinitely better than KoA
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:58 pm

I just streamed myself playing it for two hours and my friend actually got into it so much he's now gone to get his controller to play it himself. Anyways yeah I know I'm a complete fanboy for the game, I'm well aware of this sadly. I just think for a fiver everyone should give the game a go. Can't wait till I get back to the level I once was all dem years ago.

Never played Original Sin btw. -_-
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:30 pm

See!!

:lol:

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:47 pm

I have it and played it but found it all a bit meh. I want to give another chance because, well, cos Dave :)

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Purchased because I need an RPG to play and Fallout 4 is shit and if I play New Vegas again I'm gonna start having auditory hallucinations of the VATS noise. Again. Sure it's a Christmas tradition but... Yeah.

Might have a cheeky jaunt through Lonesome Road while waiting for it to download. Cheers for the heads up on this game! :D
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Wow. just looked it up. I played 39 hours of it!
Must have enjoyed it.. just wish I could remember it.
Still, time for another go.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

I played the demo and found the combat to be a bit feeble. Throw that into a huge MMO-sized world, filled with MMO-style quests but all on your lonesome; well that sounds like my kind of personal hell.

This move towards huge open worlds with pointless grinding missions/quests that has been endemic with big releases these last couple of generations is exactly what has put me off most new games. I don't want a 300 hour experience of tedium and mediocrity; I want a short-ish but highly enjoyable or compelling experience. Hell, make it 50 hours long if you like, but don't just extend the game time by making me do utterly pointless shite. Taking a foundation from MMO design (which has been broken and boring as hell basically since it was first done) is not good game design. It sounds like Kingdoms does all of those things but didn't benefit from having any other compelling gimmick or being made by a big well known studio, so it tanked.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Or you could make an open world game like witcher 3 which 300 hours long easy with no notice of the shite that plagues open world games.

I'll shut up now :)

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:45 am

I tried it but truth be told I just got bored of it very quickly. My mate who has put 100's of hours into Skyrim and WoW felt the same. While games are generally a pleasant waste of time, KoA just felt like an actual waste of time. Not for me.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:11 am

It's a good podcast or tv series on a second screen game.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:17 am

I too bounced off it. I could see the appeal, and while it fiddled with those WoW receptors the sheer volume of quests and wall of lore made it not for me.

At £4.99 though I will back Dave, it is a mountain of game for not much cash.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Is there any way to change the resolution of the game because it's proper knackered my eyes after playing for just an hour :lol:
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing