Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 am

Hovered over this last night watched a few videos looks like great fun. Can't really justify the time to play it though at the moment. I've put it on my steam wishlist for now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Jez wrote:Hovered over this last night watched a few videos looks like great fun. Can't really justify the time to play it though at the moment. I've put it on my steam wishlist for now.

Just in case you weren't aware Jez, there's a demo of it on Steam - full first level and a bit of the second. It saves over the full game as well, so if you were to buy it you wouldn't have to repeat the first level.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Nice mate! I'll try that for sure later.

Is there a decent story attached to this?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Jez wrote:Nice mate! I'll try that for sure later.

Is there a decent story attached to this?

Well, the first couple of levels it's ok :lol:

I haven't really played much more than the demo levels so far, just been busy with work and writing, and wanted a decent window of free time to get stuck in rather than the odd half-hour here and there - which is pretty much my gaming time at the moment.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Aye same. Maybe get an hour of a night these days.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for the demo tip there sly. It's very good as demos go we don't get to play enough of them these days. The first mission introduces nicely the concept of the whole thing and how it works.

Very nice looking, the cell shaded appearance is pretty. I liked chaining together shadow kills getting the whole team to act at once is a nice touch. I'm very sorely tempted to just buy this now but I have very little time to devote properly to it at the moment. Will definitely get it when I can put time into it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Just spent a very pleasant hour working through the third map (and only about halfway done with the mission, will have to leave the rest for another night). It's got that good Desperadoes/Commandos design, where each level is a mass of interlocking parts (ie guards and patrol routes), and you have to spend a while just watching and trying to identify weaknesses where you can start chipping away at their defences.

Luckily the auto-load is pretty quick (though it takes a loooong time to load up the level initially) and quick-saving uses three different files so you don't fall into the old Desperadoes trap of accidentally saving just as you entered into an unwinnable situation. It means you can experiment a bit, seeing which approach works and which don't.

At one point I spent about 15 minutes trying to find away past a spread out triangle of guards that had eyes on each other, and just couldn't do it (not helped by a bastard civvie who kept dobbing me in), before finally spotting an alternative route over the rooftops that brought me out behind one of them, and after that was a fairly simple operation of picking them off one by one.

Deserves a lot more recognition this one.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 am

I'll definitely give it a go at some point, once Stardew Valley loosens its grip. I loved Commandos back in the day. Desperados I enjoyed too, but I felt they over-complicated parts of it.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Been putting some time into this the last few days, currently going through map 7 of the 9 included.

It's really, really good. Each map seems to introduce either new characters with new abilities to play with, and/or clever twists on the gameplay that force you to change your strategies. An example would be the night maps, which make the vision cones of the enemies react differently around the various light sources, and a rain level where there are large areas where you can't sneak up on enemies as they hear your footsteps approaching through the puddles.

There's been so much love and skill involved in crafting this, really do think it deserves a lot more attention than it's had so far.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Definitely still on my to buy list.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm

And finished. There was 13 missions in the end, not 9 as I wrote above. Each one will take between an hour and a half to two hours, I would say... I got 30 hours of gameplay from it in any case.

Highly recommended for anyone in the market for a stealth strategy game.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am

Jez wrote:Ooooooo that could be interesting. Not a huge fan of isometric stuff but this might be worth a play.

My thoughts too
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

Snowy wrote:
Jez wrote:Ooooooo that could be interesting. Not a huge fan of isometric stuff but this might be worth a play.

My thoughts too

Give the demo a go mate, while it's the first (tutorial) level and so many of the characters and skills you get later aren't present yet, it's a good way to find out if the basic premise and gameplay interest you.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

Aye I found the demo really good. Like I say deffo getting this at some point.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Once I'm done with Prey ill be getting this one. Really liked the demo they did. Must keep an eye out for it on sale till then.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing