Tyranny- Next Obsidian RPG

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Tyranny- Next Obsidian RPG

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:05 pm

No it isn't, started out as something else, but I can't remember what right now.

The problem for me with Pillars was it started well, but a lot of what was in the start, like the choices and the text adventure stuff never really made it into the rest of the game. On top of that the story just didn't grab me, I might have said this before, but the period before the game was set, with the God Weapon stuff sounded like a much more interesting period in which to play.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:10 pm

So, it does still have the engage mechanic, where you end up just making a tank wall at the front for every fight. After a while I did get bored of micro-managing that endless times.

But I also found the magic in Pillars a bit lacklustre. Any idea if they've beefed up spells and mage abilities a bit?
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:22 pm

I'll be playing this day one so I can report back to any on the fence, although considering I loved Pillars and most people here weren't overly enamoured with it I'm not sure how much help it will be.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Hm, a bit of browsing on the Steam forum has allayed my fears somewhat. Having a smaller party (max 4) will probably be less of a micro-management headache, and apparently you can craft your own spells, while classes are far more fluid and level up in a slightly more organic way.

Coupled with the premise, this could be a more interesting one than Pillars. And £28 is a better deal...
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm hoping that Tyranny will be to Pillars what Planescape: Torment was to BG2 in some vague way - i.e. more story-focused and less concerned with combat and game systems. I still rate BG2 slightly higher than PS:T, but the beauty of them was that they were totally different and each great at what they tried to achieve. Whenever I've seen previews of Tyranny, the focus has been on the morality and the story rather than the classes and systems, so my impression is that Obsidian want people to think of it in the terms they're highlighting. I could be completely wrong, of course.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Erk. Even I don't know what I'm going to do here. It's probably 70-30 in favour of ordering it in the next few days, if I'm honest.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:51 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Instant Gaming have it for £28 if that helps.

FYI, for anyone interested, Instant Gaming has now dropped it's price to £25.76, which is actually pretty reasonable, so I've gone ahead and pre-ordered. In a bit of a gaming lull so in the mood to sink my teeth into something like this.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Three hours to go. Quite excited for this now.

Wrathbone, you going to be playing it today?
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:13 pm

Wotwotwot?! I thought it was tomorrow! :o

Yes, will certainly be playing tonight then.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Yup yup. Time to play a game of pure fantasy where evil has triumphed over good and the result is a callous shit-show of a world.

Escapism ftw! :o
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:23 pm

RPS impressions.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/1 ... ore-411507

Admit I'm a bit put off by the apparent lore-dumps... that was a big part of why I kept bouncing off Pillars, if I'm honest. But I'll go into this with an open mind and the intention to give it my unbridled attention.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 pm

My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 pm

Looks good to me.

I normally do a first run of an RPG as a goody two-shoes, but given the nature of this I think I may try and be the most dastardly bastard I possibly can. I just hope it doesn't come with the usual pitfalls of being mega-evil in most RPGs, such as people simply attacking you for not choosing the 'nice' option.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 pm

About an hour and a half in, so no detailed impressions as yet.

I will say that so far I am enjoying it. There is a lot of lore to take on board early on, but where with PoE I bounced off most of it, I'm more engaged with this world. While there is a lot of it, it isn't hard to take in and the game does a fairly good job of explaining what is going on and your role within the story.

Character creation - there are no classes here, instead you choose a primary weapon skill (say 1h, 2h, dual-wield, bows, ice magic, buff magic, debuff magic and a couple I can't recall) and then a secondary weapon skill, which shapes the kind of character you'll be. I went with duel-wield for melee and archery for range combat, as a result I can't speak yet for how the magic system works. You then allot some trait points, with the game highlighting which ones are useful based on the weapon skills you chose (for me it recommended quickness (think agility), strength and finesse). You then allocate some skill points, things like parry, subterfuge (ie sneak & lockpicking), athletics etc. These skills level up in the game as you use them, and it appears that there are also trainers you can pay to instantly level up a skill for a total of 5 times per character level. You also choose a backstory, and I went for the pit fighter history. Appearance-wise there aren't an immense range of pre-set faces and body types, but it's fine really.

Once you start the campaign, a narrator lays out the background for you to set the scene, after which you spend about 10 minutes on a map screen, where it plays out a bit like a choose-your-own adventure type thing. Essentially it's recounting the early part of the invasion you're spearheading; you're given a few choices of which areas you will focus on, and once there are given a series of options allowing you to choose how that part of the story plays out. This is actually pretty cool, making you feel involved in changing the face of this world, and once you're in the game proper people will refer to the choices you made and it will no doubt affect the rest of the story in subtle ways. This is where a certain amount of replayability comes into it.

The game itself is very good-looking, dialogue seems fine. There's a useful colour-coding to the text, which while initially looking a bit odd, means that pieces of lore and backstory are available by hovering over the coloured words (or right-clicking for even more detail), which saves delving deep into menus and the like. As someone who never bothers delving into menus and the like, this is a nice way of gaining context on people and places in short, easy-to-digest nuggets. Or you can just ignore them without penalty.

The few skirmishes I've been involved with so far have been fine. If you've played PoE you largely know what to expect, although on normal difficulty I haven't needed to micro-manage to the point of dictating where everyone is standing at every moment, so it plays out a bit quicker and is less punishing, on the evidence so far anyway. The UI isn't particularly elegant, but you're able to get to everything you want within a click or two, selecting combat skills (that have a cooldown a la DA2), stances that offer various bonuses/penalties, weapon sets and, if you're playing a spellcaster, which I'm not, spells.

So, yeah. Seems good so far, looking forward to delving deeper into it and channelling my inner utter bastard.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:01 pm

I'm suitably impressed so far. Despite having a very similar UI and other systems to PoE it feels quite different, which makes it interesting. The spell system in particular looks very good, as you can create new spells similar to how you could in Oblivion and Morrowind. Conversations appear to be your standard Bioware / Obsidian fare, which is no bad thing in my eyes, and I've seen one surprisingly creative use of a conversation tooltip which I was not expecting.

Overall first impressions are that this is a business as usual Obsidian RPG with a few twists here and there, and that is encouraging.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing