Dawn of War III (Out April 27 2017)

The strategy of playing ones role.
Gibby

Re: Dawn of War III Announcement Trailer (Release 2017)

Postby Gibby » Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Quietman wrote:Or you collect them as you progress through the campaign? I mean... There's pessimism and then there's that :P

Not seen Company of Heroes 2? They were selling Commanders within the week of release!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 05, 2016 1:50 am

I'll probably get it down the line. I did much prefer DOW 1 to DOW 2 in how they played out myself.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 05, 2016 11:30 am

I tried DoW II for the first time a few weeks back and I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't realise it would be just a bunch of maps which you marched across with your units. I knew there wasn't any base building, but there wasn't even any real resource management either. Glad they are moving back to base management for this one.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I tried DoW II for the first time a few weeks back and I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't realise it would be just a bunch of maps which you marched across with your units. I knew there wasn't any base building, but there wasn't even any real resource management either. Glad they are moving back to base management for this one.

I like the campaign more in DoW2, especially in coop. It was like Cannon Fodder 40k. Much prefer the MP in DoW1 though.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri May 06, 2016 10:19 am

Dawn of War 1 is more like the tabletop, Dawn of War 2 is more like the fluff/lore.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Dawn of War 2 had an absolutely wicked campaign, it really made your limited team feel like mechanised gods. It just didn't translate to skirmish mode at all.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Yeah, did all of 2 in co-op.
Loved it.

No similar memories of 1. I also liked last stand, but only in small doses
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun May 08, 2016 8:11 am

Mantis wrote:Dawn of War 2 had an absolutely wicked campaign, it really made your limited team feel like mechanised gods. It just didn't translate to skirmish mode at all.

Skirmish mode felt like a Rock Paper Scissors MOBA after a while. The maps were tiny compared to DoW1, so it was just a case of funneling into eachother and then micro-ing abilities.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -explained

12 minutes of gameplay at the bottom of the article too but I'm posting on iPad so it's more effort than it's worth to embed the video into this post.

Things to take from the article, more cartoony graphics than DoW2 to make it easier to distinguish units in all the chaos, and only three races on launch. Bit disappointed that we only get Space Marines, Orks and Eldar again, but the graphics look fantastic to me. Always a fan of slightly more unique looking aesthetics and this definitely ticks that box, reminds me of DoW1 too, which helps.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:02 pm

The same mission as above but with developer commentary.

Looks like it's not being particularly well received in the Youtube comments, mostly because of the dodgy cover system, cartoony graphics and lack of Gabriel Angelos original voice actor.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Everyone seems to be getting REALLY aggressive over "moba" stylings...
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I don't really see it myself. Dawn of War 2 used small groups of micro-heavy hero units before the MOBA scene really picked up and became the mammoth it is today, nobody would consider it to be a MOBA either. This just follows on from what the second game did but throws in much larger infantry groups. It's far more like the original game and any other RTS than a damn MOBA. I assume the comments are just kids who haven't got a clue what they're talking about and hate on MOBAs because it's the cool thing to do now.

I quite like the graphical style too, and hopefully because this is just alpha footage we'll get some sharper and better looking textures and explosion particle effects in the final game.

The cover system is a bit daft though. You capture a point and get a shield that nullifies all damage? That doesn't really fit in with 40k at all and it just looks like a lazy mechanic. I'd prefer if they just went back to the DoW 1 cover system which gave damage reduction based on where units were stood; it was perfectly functional and it wasn't as annoyingly micro heavy as the cover for DoW 2.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:22 pm

The cartoony look doesn't fit with 40k, in my opinion. It switches me off a bit. I'll be unlikely to grab this - kind of lost interest in the GW IP of late - I regret getting Warhammer Total War.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:48 pm

I can deal with the art style, so long as they tidy it up a bit before release.

You've lost interest because Warhammer TW is so bad, or it's just made everything else poor in comparison? :P

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 pm

I guess that was a throw-away comment at the end. It's not that it's bad; I just can't get into it - likely down to my boredom with the setting. Same for 40k I guess!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing