The DCS thread; Raid's War Stories (image heavy)

The strategy of playing ones role.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: The DCS thread; Raid's War Stories (image heavy)

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Well whadaya know; no sooner do I post about the Mirage's missing missile launch warning on the RWR that the devs post a test video showing off just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeWsuS7-4Uw

I've been considering getting a small extension for my TM Warthog, but they're getting increasingly difficult to find. The stick is vastly better than any other I've owned, but I still have trouble making very slight movements when closing in for a guns kill or landing. An increased stick height would almost certainly sort that, but really I should try messing around with axis curves to see if it'll help before I spend £50 on a 2 inch piece of aluminium.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Where is Yaw controlled from on that warthog? Is it a stick twist yaw?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Nope, it doesn't have yaw control, just like the real thing! I did use the slider on the throttle base for a while, but I hardly ever actually use the yaw control in-flight anyway (at least not in fixed-wings, in the Ka-50 it's a necessity). The pedals that I now own are used more for nose-wheel steering and the wheel-brakes when I'm on the ground.

I played the 6v4 mission that I journaled on the previous page again tonight, but this time I wanted to navigate back to Nellis and land. I'd used up the majority of my fuel using the afterburner while dogfighting with the MiGs, and after radioing Nellis ATC, I was told I was 90 miles out. This sounds like a long way to me, as I've never much considered distances in flight sims. In reality it was a 5-10 minute flight at the speed I was maintaining (thankfully I was at 20,000 feet when I started my ingress, so I could dip the nose a bit and reduce my throttle so that I was only a little above ticking over). I managed to get the plane down, and just as I was about to steer off the runway to the parking area, my engine shut down through lack of fuel. I didn't really look at my fuel gauge while going through the landing procedure, and didn't notice that my final few miles were powered by fumes. I don't think I could have managed it any better.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Cheers man. Still a great thread.

sohei

Postby sohei » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Jez wrote:Where is Yaw controlled from on that warthog? Is it a stick twist yaw?

If you're flying the A10 there is very little need for rudder input after you get off the ground to be honest. I bought CH combat rudder pedals but rarely use them in flight, mainly if I take severe damage and the plane is veering wildly off track.

I believe MFC Crosswind pedals are favoured for the serious simmers, although it's a bit of a wait to get hold of them.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Slaw Device pedals are the other expensive choice. Thrustmaster make a low-end set (the ones that I own), but even they're £80 (and I'm not convinced they're worth that).

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 pm

So I've mentioned before that ejecting and walking around is a strangely awesome experience in VR, because you get a good idea of the scale of the various vehicles and aircraft that you just don't get on a monitor. Tonight that technique paid off.

I landed at Groom Lake for the first time tonight, after doing a quick flyover to see the layout and which bit was taxi-way and which bit was the actual runway. On my trip over I noticed a strange green building that looked like a giant tent. After landing I taxied over to it for a closer look. Apologies for the odd aspect ratio, screenshots taken in VR are from one eye only.

Nobody about, it won't hurt to have a quick look around.

Ok, that's oddly humerous for DCS. Wait, what's that at the back.

So. When the USS Voyager went back in time to the mid nineties, apparently they forgot to take everything back with them.

I am *so* looking forward to DCS: Class 2 Shuttle. Model needs work.

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:48 am

Apparently in DCS 2.5 Cartman gets an anal probe.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Partner bought me the UH-1H Huey for christmas. It's not the easiest thing to fly, what with it being a 60s-era chopper, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Pretty good seats for the race. I know Nascar's a little more lenient than F1, but I would have thought that a helicopter hovering 10 feet above the racetrack would have at least called for yellow flags.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm

"C'mon man, the reservation was for 0715!"
"Why the hell would you book a breakfast reservation that early? We'll never get a cab to the base at this hour!"
"I wanted to get the eggs before they went rubbery!"
"Look, there's a fully warmed up Huey sitting on the helipad; the marines won't mind if we borrow it. You've co-piloted one of those before, right? Let's go."
"Well, actually...."
"Yeah, this'll work."

"Remind me, what do all of these dials mean?"
"Damnit Frank, you said you'd been in one of these before!"
"Yes. On a stretcher. In Vietnam."
"Oh right, the purple heart."

"Shouldn't we be, umm, higher?"
"This thing has skids. Just pretend you're skiing."

"Just 10 miles to go."

"Why are we so low?"
"I said I'd give Blackbox a wakeup call."
"Power lines! POWER LINES!"

"Stop being such a wuss Frank."

"Almost there."
"Hey, doesn't that cocktail waitress you like work at the Stratosphere?"
"Oh yeah, let's see if she's in."
"Wait.."

"Those tourists are gonna be pissed you blew their reservation towels off the sun loungers."
"Hey, let's go see if the President Elect is up."

"Hi Mr. Tromb!"
"Oh man, he looks pissed."
"What's he yelling?"
"Something about Mexicans?"

"Man, I can't see anywhere that says chopper parking!"
"Try the airport."

"Nah, remember how long it takes to get through customs?"
"Fair point."

"Look at how spread out these jerks are."
"Look, there's coach parking over there. This thing seats 18, right? Pretty sure that makes us a coach."
"Nice idea. Wait, isn't this a bit quick?"

"You worry too much."
"There's a reason for th.. OH GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"
"Wheeeee!"

"You god-damned..."
"Shut up Frank. We're here aren't we? And with two minutes to spare!"
"The marines are gonna be pissssed."

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing