Planet Coaster

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Planet Coaster

Postby Snowy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:10 pm

So, not sure if anyone else has been following this, but I spotted it while trawling the Frontier homepage for Elite Dangerous updates.

Basically, think a remake of Rollercoaster Tycoon with emphasis on the tweaking and a lot of the annoyances from the old game removed. I have volunteered as the PW Canary for this one, seeing as Frontier kindly sent me a discount code for the earlybird edition including alpha access.

I always loved the RTC games and they are the one ancient title I still duck back into from time to time, so I am really excited for this one. The alpha starts tomorrow, so expect to see some thoughts from me following the release :)

https://www.planetcoaster.com/
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Planet Coaster

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm

What a lovely trailer.

Yes, I'm very much interested. I only picked up RCT3 a few years ago on Steam, so I don't have a big sense of nostalgia for the series, and while I certainly enjoyed it it was clearly quite dated. For example if you wanted to place a hedge along the edges of paving, you had to place each individual tile of hedge rather than just dragging a line of it out. I love the clean, cartooney aesthetic they're using (which is a bit of a no-brainer).

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:03 am

They seem to have changed the site Raid, but have a search for the Planet Coaster developer diaries, they are well worth a look. The level of customisation and tweakery is really impressive, and look to be a hugely powerful set of tools to take the fiddly element out of building - you indicate what you want to happen and the tools do the work for you.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:34 am

I did just that, and the most impressive bit seems to be the way everything can overlap; you can have your rollercoaster tracks go through your fancy custom buildings.

Unfortunately: Image
Absolutely unplayable.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:00 am

Confused - what are you referring to when you say absolutely unplayable?

I loved the 'you design it we will make it happen' style of building. The thing that always stymied my creatuve juices in RCT was that placing things in an existing park framework was always so fiddly, especially when it came to rollercoasters, plus the coaster-building tools themselves were also very fiddly and frustrating. The more free-form design tools in this look much slicker.

I am really keen to get finished at work, get home and see what is available to play with in the alpha :)
Last edited by Snowy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 am

What would you expect Chicken Burgers to be made from?

The alpha sounds reasonably fully featured from what Youtubers invited to test it a week or two ago were saying. They were initially going to launch it without the rollercoaster building, but everyone who tried it said that was madness, so they're putting it in.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 am

Raid wrote:What would you expect Chicken Burgers to be made from?

From what I have seen in the news, often not chicken ;)

Yes I saw a preview on RPS yesterday which included details on how to access the coaster features, and even though the AI for them is supposedly not at all formed currently it would indeed be madness not to be able to build them.

Surely a shoe-in for VR compatibility too - the ability to wander your park and ride the rides in VR would be awesome.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Installed the alpha last night and spend a good couple of hours tinkering. Initial thoughts are:
- Graphically it is very pretty indeed – runs on my rig (which admittedly is very high end) like a dream on maximum detail with some lovely lighting effects. There is a decent amount of variety in the park guests, all of whom move around and flow very realistically, as well as interact with the rides, shops etc.
- Shops are interesting, they just come as nondescript square boxes which you can place where you like. There is then quite a nice suite of walls, roof elements, gables, plus a load of decorative elements (currently the only theme included is Pirate). These click together nicely, can be stacked, height arranged all very simply, and give you quite a creative free reign. So for example, I put down a path, then dropped a hat shop, drink shop, food shop and toilet along the path. I then linked these up using the walls so that they were 4 shops within a single 2-storey unit, added signs relevant to each shop to either side of the units, put a pirate awning over them and then decorated the whole storefront with lanterns, animatronic cannon-ports etc. In all it took me maybe 5 minutes to make this and it looked fantastic. I then used the copy function to lift and shift the entire thing and put 3 separate instances at different points within my fledgling park.
- There are currently around 10 different rides, all the kinds of things you would expect from family friendly to thrill rides. You plonk the ride where you want it, then follow 4 steps to add the entrance, exit, a queue and finally a ticket booth to link the queue to a path. Very slick and intuitive.
- Placement of things in general follows the same lines – paths can be quickly edited to be of different widths and ‘section’ lengths, raised or lowered, things snap easily into place (or if you prefer you can disable the snap-to function and get pixel perfect placement to your own specifications).
- There are options to view the park from a variety of camera angles as well as the ‘free-flying’ standard, rides can be viewed from a first person and a cinematic perspective, as can guests. Taking a first person guest view is very cool, as the park you are generally floating above suddenly becomes a massive expanse that you ‘walk’ through.
- There are (to be expected really) masses of options that are greyed out as forthcoming features.
- Coaster building can easily be unlocked, but is a bit broken at the moment. Still, the options are there to make some truly titanic rides :)

So yes, all told it is looking very promising from this early look, although at the moment there is no aim to any of it, just a set of sandboxes to play in.

Screenies to follow :)

EDIT: Screenies to follow once there is a mechanism for capturing the little fuckers :)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Snowy never came back and posted screenshots, so I'll just have to post one from one of Robbaz's Youtube videos.

It's nice to see that the terrain tools are giving people plenty of freedom.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 am

I did try, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to take them.

Timely post though, I haven't looked in on this for a few weeks, must do so.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue May 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Is your card an Nvidia one?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 am

Yup

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 am

You can capture video with Shadowplay or if you opt in to the beta of the Shadowplay Experience you can take screenshots

Oranje Head

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:16 pm

This is out on the 17th of November. It's available as a limited-time £20 pre-order on the Frontier website, a price at which I couldn't say no, especially given videos I've watched from the beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5b7z14WYNs

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 am

It does look like the best iteration of the game type. For £20 can't say no really!

Oranje Head

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing