Planet Coaster

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Planet Coaster

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Can you do things like move the concessions and toilets into the new bits, to entice the punters a bit further into the park?

Also, @ Snowy and Raid, how fiddly is this? My only real history with this genre is the original Theme Park that I played to death, and always found stuff like RCT a bit too fiddly and complex, resulting in bouncing straight off it again.

Ideally I'd like something that is fairly simple and user-friendly, as it's something my 6yo might get a kick out of us doing together of an evening (me on the controls, obviously). I know she'll have fun helping to design the park, lay out rides and if the attraction editor is fairly simple I can imagine that will go down well as well, but if it's a case of spending hours in fussy menus trying to painstakingly tweak every last inch of track she might not be able to sustain interest in it for long.

Thoughts?
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:38 pm

I think if you disliked RCT you won't really like this game. You can just use a load of pre-fab stuff, but part of the fun comes from designing and building everything yourself.

EDIT: From what I've seen and read this game sounds like RCT crossed with Spore.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Yeah, the lazy peeps thing was an issue for me too. I had to put a tunnel from the opening area through to the new sci-fi area on the left as they simply weren't walking around via the path at the back of the image. I hope I don't have to stick monorail stations everywhere.

The path system can be quite fiddly, and honestly a bit frustrating at times. Some bits are hidden away, like the square paths which I like using for queues (you have to hit the select grid button, select the path you're connecting to, and then make sure you have the square paths checkbox ticked).

The building system is a little finnicky, but once you get the hang of the controls it becomes easier. And while you can spend hour after hour building your own structures, there are already thousands of Steam Workshop items for you to download from people who've done that all for you. You don't even need to quit the game; you can open the Steam browser, pick what you want, and within a few moments your in-game menu is updated with what you've selected.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:45 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I think if you disliked RCT you won't really like this game. You can just use a load of pre-fab stuff, but part of the fun comes from designing and building everything yourself.

EDIT: From what I've seen and read this game sounds like RCT crossed with Spore.

Yeah, pretty much was what I was thinking. Might keep an eye out for a sale down the line, probably is something I'll try to get stuck into at some point, but might not be one to capture the little one's interest.

She still keeps badgering me to play Stardew Valley (or "the farm game" as she calls it), even though I had played my fill of it quite some time ago :lol:
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Raid wrote:Yeah, the lazy peeps thing was an issue for me too. I had to put a tunnel from the opening area through to the new sci-fi area on the left as they simply weren't walking around via the path at the back of the image. I hope I don't have to stick monorail stations everywhere.

The path system can be quite fiddly, and honestly a bit frustrating at times. Some bits are hidden away, like the square paths which I like using for queues (you have to hit the select grid button, select the path you're connecting to, and then make sure you have the square paths checkbox ticked).

The building system is a little finnicky, but once you get the hang of the controls it becomes easier. And while you can spend hour after hour building your own structures, there are already thousands of Steam Workshop items for you to download from people who've done that all for you. You don't even need to quit the game; you can open the Steam browser, pick what you want, and within a few moments your in-game menu is updated with what you've selected.

Thanks mate. Being able to download other people's hard work certainly makes it a bit more attractive for those times you don't feel like spending hours labouring over every little thing in the park. Will be keeping an eye on it during the Steam sales, I think.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
She still keeps badgering me to play Stardew Valley (or "the farm game" as she calls it), even though I had played my fill of it quite some time ago :lol:

That girl knows quality. Also the 1.1 patch added a load of new stuff.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:56 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:

That girl knows quality. Also the 1.1 patch added a load of new stuff.

Indeed, it's a great game. I did play it a heck of a lot, though. Am sure I'll return to it at some point in the future... I'm not quite 'there' yet, though.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Wow that is a bizarre analogy DJ :)

Sly, I think this would be something that would fit the bill. It is as complex or simple as you want it to be. There are tens of thousands of items on the Steam workshop in all sorts of themes available to just pick up, or you can do it yourself.

Taking a pirate-themed burger store as an example - the store itself is basically a cube with a man in it. You take it, plonk it down where you want it, then bring up the accessories. These can be filtered by theme to keep things simple. From there you could apply a weathered wooden set of walls and shopfront to it (4 clicks), some sailcloth awnings (1 click per awning) and a neat skull and crossbones sign (1 click) and you are done - one themed burger store ready to go.

That same burger store could be further themed indefinitely - you could have a fountain lined approach with animatronic pirates, cascades of bubbles streaming down from either side, cannons going off on the roof, pretty much anything you can think up with the tools and items at your disposal. Point being, it is as complex as you want. Raid has clearly gone to town with the theming of his park.

Coasters are also pretty easy to make. They can be a bit tricky if you get to the end and realise that you need more speed to get round a particular section, but I have made monsters and have the attention span of an 8-year old girl! The tools used throughout favour utility more than possibly any other game I have played - they have made an amazingly friendly interface that allows players to play, not spend an eternity having to fiddle with.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Ah, cheers Snowy, I'm back to hovering my finger over the purchase button :lol:

As it's already December next week, I might hold fire and see if it gets discounted in the xmas sales, but from what you say it does sound more like I was hoping it would be.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Snowy wrote:Raid has clearly gone to town with the theming of his park.

Heh. Sure, I'm putting some effort in, but my basic combinations of parts utterly pale into insignificance compared to people like Silvarret on Youtube.

Here's some closeups of what I've built (most of which should be available on the workshop):
Main entrance, with my signature white and red frame styling: Image

Gulpee energy drinks shop: Image

Balloon shop: Image

The landing pad in the sci-fi area: Image

The sci-fi first aid facility: Image

Now look at Silvarret's themed coaster Suzaku:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:19 pm

Holy mama I don't even want to think how long that took him to make!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Wonder how it performs on old machines. I was going to play this over Christmas at my parents' but it will be on an ageing PC that doesn't meet the minimum CPU spec (it's a Q6600 but there's a 560ti I can put in there which I'm hoping will take the brunt off the CPU).

Otherwise I could buy it now...
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Snowy wrote:Holy mama I don't even want to think how long that took him to make!

His Youtube channel has tonnes of timelapse building that shows his process, but suffice to say, it doesn't have to take quite as long as you'd expect. This is one of the simpler ones where he doesn't overlap each piece a hundred times to get exactly the shape he wants:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:22 am

I meant the whole park, not just the coaster (although it was a whopper).

Kicked off yet another park last night, and finally seem to have made some headway. I have a 3-station monorail (no change from £20k) with stations at each of the three points of my currently T shaped park, and the idiots are now getting moved from end-point to end-point nicely.

Also found a good little hints and tips thread online which helped:
- Peeps are happier when leaving rides, so I have merged ride exits into single paths with clusters of shops directly opposite as they rejoin the main drag
- Benches for peeps available immediately on leaving rides help calm queasy stomachs
- Rotas for staff seem initially quite arcane but are actually a piece of piss and help a lot

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm

This has come such a long way from the original videos I saw way back.

How much terrain manipulation can you actually do? I've seen coasters go through tunnels and such but how much of the map is pre-generated and can't be edited?

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing