Stardew Valley

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Stardew Valley

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Started a proper game thread so I don't clutter up Dj's Let's Play thread with random chat about the game, even if it's just me and him for the time being :lol:

In a nutshell, it's a retro-looking game similar (I understand, I've not played it) to Harvest Moon. You play a character who inherits a run-down farm and start planting and harvesting crops and trying to make a living.

There's a town and plenty of surrounding land with various things to do, so it really never gets dull. You can fish, talk to townspeople (even starting relationships and eventually marrying one of them), trade, go mining for ore (or just to try a bit of combat), crafting, taking part in various festivals, and there also seems to be a story thread running through it that gets gradually revealed.

And oh my goodness, this is a game you can get obsessed with. You're always busy, but it's never manic activity or feeling like you're not on top of things. You might get up in the morning and decide to focus on planting crops and clearing your land for resources, you might decide to go and explore the mines, or go to one of the rivers and beaches for a spot of fishing that day... and you're not penalised for choosing to do one activity over another.

It really has that 'just one more day' feeling... days run past fairly quickly so there's always something you're keen to get done the next day, and so on, and on, and on. I played for a few hours this morning, and it was still a grind to be called away. Not only that, the things you do accomplish feel genuinely rewarding. The first time you make a bundle on a bunch of crops you've planted, tended and harvested over a period of days is a great feeling.

I can see myself playing this a whole heck of a lot over the coming weeks, even months. Highly recommended. If you're interested in seeing how it plays, check out Dj's Let's Play.

RPS WIT:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... ey-review/

PCG review:

http://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-review/
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Stardew Valley

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:38 pm

The Community Centre building offers the chance to collect bundles of particular items to earn rewards and unlock certain things.

For the most part it's fairly self-explanatory, bundles are often labelled with the season or location of where you can get certain items.

However, the exception is the fishing... for a bundle of river fish, for instance, certain fish can only be caught in specific seasons, weathers and times of day, and there's no way to find out in-game when that is.

Fortunately, the game's wiki gives a detailed breakdown of how to find each one:

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fish

I don't want to get in the habit it wiki-ing too much so I can discover most things for myself, but this one is quite valuable, imo.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:09 pm

I was looking at this the other day - seems to be getting a lot of good reviews, think I may pick it up
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Well worth it, imo Snowy. It's a charming game, good way to just kick back and chill out.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Yeah it's a lovely little game that has such a good gaming loop. I...just...can't...stop...playing...
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Yeah it's a lovely little game that has such a good gaming loop. I...just...can't...stop...playing...

Only saving when you sleep is a brutal mechanic... really does feel like you simply have to play one more day. Then one more, and another etc... :lol:
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:30 pm

According to SteamSpy the game has sold around 266,000 copies so the game has made the one guy roughly $3.2m once Valve has taken their cut.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Hmm...sounds a bit too Farmsville for me.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Think more Animal Crossing mixed with Terraria.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Well, I caved and bought it...might even get it for my son too as part of his birthday present. Mainly because I've run out of ideas.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 pm

It's miles better than Farmville. Also another 60k copies sold in one day!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:15 pm

I can't stop playing. My daughter can't stop watching me playing. She's off sick today, and spent three hours this morning sitting on my desk watching me water crops, fish, mine and potter around the town talking to people. She loves it.

I made 12,000g from one crop in my first autumn. I was stupidly happy. I've now set up a little crafting centre where I brew alcohol from fruit, make jams and preserves, mayonnaise, forge metal. I have five beehives making luxury honey because I planted some expensive flowers nearby, and the fruit trees I planted a month ago have just started to produce, as are the maple trees I planted, grew and tapped a while back.

It's lovely.

One guy made this, unbelievable.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:58 pm

One guy? Wow.

I've not played it myself, but I've watched a Youtuber playing, and it's utterly charming. Many indie games going for the 16 bit look end up getting it wrong, but this genuinely looks like Nintendo could have made it. I'll likely end up buying it at some point, but I've spent a lot on games recently, and I have a lot of stuff to be getting on with.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 am

425,000 copies sold.

Yesterday I got a chance to speak with the lone developer of Stardew Valley, Eric Barone, about the sky-rocketing popularity of a game he says started out as a way to learn how to program. While it's clear to see from Steam's best seller list, the front page of Twitch, and all over the internet that Stardew Valley has been well-received, Barone revealed just how popular it really was. According to him, roughly 425,000 copies of the game have been sold across Steam and GOG as of March 9—only 12 days after launch.

For comparison, only a handful of games seemed to sell more than a million copies on Steam last year. Barone told me he never expected the game to be this popular. "I thought it would be popular with people who were fans of Harvest Moon or Rune Factory, and I thought that would pretty much be it," Barone said, "I never expected it to have such wide appeal. I mean, I'm super happy about it and I'm blown away by the reaction, but I'm surprised too."

Even with Steam being known to take about one-third of the cost, and publisher Chucklefish most likely taking a share as well, it's not inconceivable to assume that Barone has suddenly seen himself become a multimillionaire. But Barone made it clear he doesn't want Stardew's success going to his head, saying "I don't want it to affect my life in any way. My lifestyle isn't going to change." He also intends to keep the scale of development at a similar level, saying he'd consider hiring help for "more technical aspects of the game," but that he generally prefers to work alone.

You've got a love a success story like that.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 am

Yeah it's great.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing