Undertale

The strategy of playing ones role.
Subway Diet

Re: Undertale

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:18 pm

In this block, I respond to Medicine Man:
Spoiler: show
One of those days when you log into Preys-World and find someone posting pictures by David Mathews. :|

Y'all probably already know that I run in a few "weird" "art" circles, so I'm well aware of the guy. :lol:
What baffles me is why he's still so damn popular. You'd think his inability to move on from creepy, awkward 90s "anime" style would turn people all the way off. I get that he was one of the first to make use of the internet to cater to special interests, but his art continues to look the same as it did back then. Back when there was nothing out there and tastes were less... refined.

Stagnation is a poor deal for everyone involved. But he's an old boy, and has to much positive reinforcement to try changing now. :(

No!
Wait, I mean EWW! PEOPLE WILL MASTURBATE TO ANYTHING! THE FREAKS!

End of an Era

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Subway Diet wrote:people being "too positive" about the game is ruining it for everyone.

While I generally find this idea baffling, I do get put off when a fanbase is both enthusiastic and vague. I get the very clear message that I should play/watch/read whatever the thing is, but nothing about why I should be interested. I usually find this means the fans have latched onto something daft and the thing isn't worth looking into.

Undertale's fans have mostly fallen into this. That said, it's also one of the rare cases where curiosity has won out for me and this thread becoming active again reminded me that I'd meant to see if it would be discounted in the Steam sale. I'm not far enough in yet to say much other than there being a certain charm to it.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:59 pm

I do get put off when a fanbase is both enthusiastic and vague.

Trouble is as soon as you get specific with this game you end up spoiling it.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Yeah, it was a comment to that effect that got me interested. Same happened with Spec Ops: The Line.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:47 pm

And let's slowly build up towards the good stuff.

Listen to me. Traitor.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:34 am

My one regret was not interacting more with Burgerpants. Bought some food and bailed out quick, which is probably the smart thing to do in a real life situation. :-k

Speaking of regret, and a thing that I no doubt will.

In regards to the Cartoon dog with swords tweet:

*Flexes himself out of the room!
Last edited by Subway Diet on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Absurd.

*Right click - save as*
Listen to me. Traitor.

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
PaladinAl wrote:I'm gonna keep at it because I'm rather fond of the aesthetic of the game; though I'm honestly not too enthused by it and I'm wondering what the people that have it as their GOTY for 2015 are smoking. Wasn't that slow a year was it? :lol:
Not to go all Tumblr Inquisition, but how far into it are you? More out of curiosity than a need to demand that you play the game until you love it. :P

I'm like halfway through the ruins but it's just not grabbing me, I'm gonna crack on with it but it's not blowing my mind yet.
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 pm

The ruins are like the tutorial area. Keep going.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:09 am

Yeah, it keeps building and building the further into it you get.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:57 pm

It's always a little odd hearing people give up at the ruins. I was pretty much hooked all the way in the moment Toriel showed up. Things only got better form there.

Story spoilers, I guess?
No, I mean actual spoilers. I'm not hiding weird fan art in here. [-X

I was all like Aww, look at that sweet old goat lady. Almost too sweet, in fact. There's got to be something sinister going on here. :-k
Was waiting for the shoe to drop and for her to be a child snatcher, baking kids into pies or some horror game shit. Felt bad for being wrong there, and finding out what was actually going on.
End of an Era

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Subway Diet wrote:It's always a little odd hearing people give up at the ruins.

I think the massive praise means people are expecting to immediately fall in love with it, then give up if that doesn't happen.
Huh? -Monses

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:46 am

Most probably.
But if this had been made by Bethesda!
End of an Era

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Subway Diet wrote:It's always a little odd hearing people give up at the ruins. I was pretty much hooked all the way in the moment Toriel showed up. Things only got better form there.

It's just not engaging me, maybe I just have ADHD since seemingly all I play are "casual" games nowadays :lol:
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:37 pm

I wouldn't really say this strays far out of the casual camp goes in terms of gameplay. I think you just need to appreciate a bit of whimsy to get on with something like this.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing