So, Farming Simulator then?

The strategy of playing ones role.
cHeal

So, Farming Simulator then?

Postby cHeal » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:27 am

So my son was showing an interest in tractors and I came across lets plays of Farming Simulator 15 for him to watch and realized that it looked like quite a fun game. I grew up on a small farm so I guess nostalgia played a part but regardless I waited for it to show up for sale on steam and picked it up.

It's a glorious experience. I'm not sure exactly what I want from games anymore. I basically hate FPS games, or any game with a bad story. I'm in a really strange place where most games will get an hour of my time if they are lucky but I have spent collectively, at least 250 hours playing The witcher games. Those games are not 250 times better than Bioshock (tried it recently, ugh..). I've tended to stick to racing games in the past 6 or 7 years because they require as much or as little investment as I want to give. I can play an hour, or 2 and then come back in a months time and play another hour. I won't have forgotten what happened the last time I played. Anything without a story line has a decent chance of getting a few replays.

So Farming Simulator then? Well it's an almost perfect embodiment of exactly what I want from gaming right now. Which makes me feel pretty ashamed. It's super relaxing, I just kick back with my controller and slowly circle a field. being careful not to miss any. It's soothing, with no time limits or constraints. The handling with a controller is satisfying and feels pretty weighty which makes the whole experience quote enjoyable. It's all rather repetitive, you essential traverse fields dozens of times with different machines depending on what you are looking to achieve (harvest, bale, cultivate etc.. ) but I think it's this repetitive nature that attracts me. Right now I actually need something I can totally turn my brain off too. It's my de-stress machine and it works a treat. An hour harvesting a field leaves me relaxed and ready for a nap.

Not sure if anyone else on here likes these games. But I'd heartily recommend this for anyone who just wants an enjoyable experience without too much/any mental work or investment.

Medicine Man

Re: So, Farming Simulator then?

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 am

I love these kind of games too!

It sounds like you'd enjoy Euro Truck as well. There's something incredibly therapeutic about playing games that revolve around menial labour and busywork. It's very satisfying.

Or maybe were just getting old.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Medicine Man wrote:I love these kind of games too!

It sounds like you'd enjoy Euro Truck as well. There's something incredibly therapeutic about playing games that revolve around menial labour and busywork. It's very satisfying.

Or maybe were just getting old.

Oh I'm definitely getting old but I like to think that's not the entirety of why I enjoy this game so much..

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:44 am

Never really cared to give these "mundane" simulators a shot.
The closest I've gotten is Demolition Company from the same people. Stuff like hauling rubble is pretty lame, but there's something massively cathartic about taking a structure apart and knocking buildings over. When they let you loose in a tower with explosives, it's essentially a puzzle game of trying to set up the perfect controlled demolition.
End of an Era

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:44 am

Subway Diet wrote:Never really cared to give these "mundane" simulators a shot.
The closest I've gotten is Demolition Company from the same people. Stuff like hauling rubble is pretty lame, but there's something massively cathartic about taking a structure apart and knocking buildings over. When they let you loose in a tower with explosives, it's essentially a puzzle game of trying to set up the perfect controlled demolition.

Yeah I never thought it would be my bag but it's a really polished product and just gives me what I want from gaming right now.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing