Stellaris: Paradox's new Sci-Fi strategy game

The strategy of playing ones role.
Gibby

Re: Stellaris: Paradox's new Sci-Fi strategy game

Postby Gibby » Mon May 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Got this installed and such. Hopefully going to get some time on it soon!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon May 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Impression from first 3 hours: it's awesome. I've made first contact with 5 empires now, 4 of whom are a similar size to mine and one which is overwhelmingly bigger. Thankfully they're friendly (for now), but patronising, so it's hard to make any trade deals with them. I've also colonised my first planet (Alpha Centurai)!

My main problem so far has been generating enough power. I've got +21 monthly minerals but only +3 power, with no pops free to build power stations and no planets in my territory with power resources. I need to vastly increase my influence (currently +2) to expand into other systems with power I can claim.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Worth a £35 punt then Wrathy?

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 pm

I've had an hour on it and I think it's got GREAT potential. I suspect this is an amazing game, for fans of CK2 & sci fi (like me, and maybe Me ¬_¬). Only scratched the surface, but that's just it, this game seems huge, and knowing Paradox they'll keep adding to it. I say get stuck in, Meg.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Yarg Me, I played lots of CK and EU and even a bit of Victoria. Fuck it, it was my birthday on Friday, I'm buying it! ^_^

It's your fault if its shit though gibby ¬_¬

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 am

Well I've only played 3 hours but they were very good hours, so I'd say it's worth a punt. It's considerably easier to grasp than CK2 or EU4 as well. I've spent hundreds of hours in both of those and it looks like I will be with this too. Oh, and they're releasing Hearts of Iron IV in a month - RIP time!

One thing which deserves special mention is the soundtrack. EU4 had a superb soundtrack and this is of equal quality (but totally different). Really wishing I'd bought the version where it comes bundled. :(

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 10, 2016 8:50 am

Wrathbone you can build outposts to increase your borders, that might help you find more resources.

I've had a bit of a slow start as my immediate area is not that rich in resources. Settled my first planet, but it's a slow grower. Hd some problems with Pirates at one point, had to rush build some ships as I had completely neglected my fleet.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am

Yeah, built a few outposts but the limiting factor there is influence, which I'm sorely lacking.

Anyone tried combat yet? So far I've fled from any hostile encounters as I've been focusing on exploration. I've found and commandeered an abandoned frigate, though, so it may be time to cleanse the surrounding systems of threats.

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 10, 2016 11:38 am

Took out a Pirate base and cleared a few sectors of space that had random enemies in it. It's basically a lot like previous Paradox games so the bigger army wins.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 pm

I've got two colonies and had one fight with some Pirates, good job I'd built a few extra corvettes as i'd have lost with my starting fleet. I'm very impressed with the amount of automation, there's very few annoying and boring tasks to do, even a full fleet upgrade is just one button, just like sending a research ship to survey an entire system at once. You can tell they've put alot of thought into it, one example is researching anomiles found while surveying a system, you can tell the ship to stop the survey and conduct the research and it'll automatically go back and finish off the surveying when finished. Very nice in this sort of game, cuts out alot of tedium.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 11, 2016 8:01 am

This is great so far. I've formed an alliance and I'm currently researching federations, which I suspect will be very important if my aggressive rivals start expanding. I've also encountered a species of religious fanatics who hate me. A planet with a nuclear-age species that I'm observing has an asteroid heading towards it and I'm not sure how to stop it (suggests there should be a situation mission thingy for it but there isn't, so may be a bug?). I've crushed a pirate base. I've designed and built an exploration science ship called the Enterprise (I had to) which is going where no one has gone before, boldly or otherwise. I've colonised enough planets to warrant forming a sector, which has reduced micromanagement. I've also finally got my resources under control.

The early game seems significantly easier than EU4 or CK2, but that isn't unwelcome. I fully expect my decisions now to come back and haunt me at some point when I've only got a single fleet and enemies are charging at my colonies.

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 am

Just a little tip, you can hold down shift and queue up multiple orders, good for setting your Science ship to scan multiple systems.

Played some multiplayer lastnight and it is incredibly stable considering the state of Paradox games in the past.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed May 11, 2016 9:52 pm

4 hours in and loving it so far. I love that we'll all have our own unique experiences and find different civilisations. In touch with three spacefaring civilisations so far. One is human in appearance, but they hate me and we're now rivals. Their society is based entirely on their religion it seems. The second is a Molluscoid race of honourbound warriors who now have an embassy on Earth (I'm humans for my first playthrough...) and we're getting on pretty well. Just got contacted by a reptilian looking race who I don't know much about yet, but they're more powerful than me. Happily they seem peaceful. Now colonised four planets and working on more. Not far off needing to split into sectors.

I wish I'd got the soundtrack...

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu May 12, 2016 6:51 am

Quick tip: keep an eye on the age of your scientists and leaders and keep some influence in the bank for when they inevitably die. I had four people die of old age in the space of a year and I had no influence to hire more, which was kind of a disaster.

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu May 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Apparently if you don't start as human you can find Earth in various states as you travel about the galaxy. One guy ound earth post nuclear wars populated by giant cockroachs and another found it post world war 2, even listed the major world armies.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing