World of Warships

The strategy of playing ones role.
gpa-gone-west

World of Warships

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Anybody dabbled with this? its in beta at the mo so free to download and play. Downloaded it yesterday, quite simplistic gameplay but fun. Runs well and looks good. Only US and Japan navy lines available at the mo.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Lee

Re: World of Warships

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Was thinking of trying it myself since I play a lot of World of Tanks as it is. I thought it was only open to people that bought into a package for it or I maybe got that confused War Thunder's tank battles modes.
There is a awfully good guy to watch if you want to hear about the warships more in detail called Jingles and I'll link one of his videos below :)

Formerly MrAnnoyed

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:28 pm

You can download it, create an account (if you don't have one) and just get stuck in. You can buy into a premium account which gives you more experience per battle, but you could play it for nothing.

I guess World of Tanks is the same, as you get two kinds of player, the real 'Elitist and a little anal' player and the rest. I have already come across the former, those who take it a little too seriously. I always try my best, try to play tactically, but if I get my ass blown up, hey ho, never mind. Having fun is a priority. They then get real nasty and start throwing cheat around if you happen to beat them. :lol:

I have just managed to get a 5 tier battleship, the Kongo. I even managed to get 2150 experience points for a battle last night, I was well chuffed. :D

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Nice will grab it later on then to muck around in it.

Online chat never changes even between free to play and bought games :lol: People get mad over anything ingame.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:09 am

It's pretty quick to get up the tiers as well. Also if you have a premium account with World of Tanks it's actually carried over to Warships which is nice :)

I sure do love the destroyer classes for dropping smoke then firing out loads of torpedoes under the cover into the general lane of other ships :twisted:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Early battleships are a torpedo magnet, slow to accelerate, slow to turn and take an age to stop. Then they have a main gun range of around only 10/11km.

One observation though, how often folk run into islands! its not as if they are small. :lol:

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Haha yea but also annoying that you have sent a wave of death to them thinking they be smart enough to dodge the island :lol:
The effect of the South Carolina Battleship firing it's gun and making the sea fly back as your rain of death leaves is really nice. Not far from unlocking my first Carrier ship on the American side which look like a lot of fun to use.
Looking forward to more of the other nations ships getting included down the line but really not seeing how they can possibly put more into the Russian side since they had barely a handful of ship types till the 60's.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Well from my own point of view, I cant wait for the full Royal Navy and German Navy to be finished.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:36 am

Hunt down the Bismarck in HMS Hood for a spot of revenge :D
Formerly MrAnnoyed

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Sod that, take the Scharnhorst on a rampage instead. I had an airfix model of it waaaay back.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Wow, it's pretty decent this game. I like how it starts you off in a simple co-op against the AI to let you get your baring in small ships.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:06 pm

I played quite a few bot matches before jumping into random battles. Never having played World of Tanks before trying this, I had no idea what to expect. Doesnt take long to sus things out. Hitting anything that is moving is another thing all together. :)

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm not struggling to hit the AI from crusiers yet. Destroyers are pretty hard to hit though, they proper motor about.

I'm liking the big difference the upgrades make, the chester started off looking like a passenger liner with a couple cannons stuck on the deck, two upgrades laters and its got 8 bigger guns and looks like an armoured cruiser.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Have you got the St Louis yet Gpa? That is a fucking beast of a cruiser.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Unlocked the American Aircraft carrier it does take getting a bit to get used to from every other ship type. Mini RTS elements when you hit shift and order your fighters or torpedo bombers around with way points etc, with your ship sailing off to somewhere else.
Very nice to watch the fighters engage when you hit shift to see the view right on their rear before the dogfighting begins. Or dropping a bundle of torps on some vessel :)

I've unlocked quite a bit into each tech tree and just bought a russian wessel for extra credit making. Been this or World of Tanks so far being my number 1-2 games played now.

If you fancy some platooning up I am usually on each day around the evenings, just add Correalian to your friends list :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing