World of Warships

The strategy of playing ones role.
gpa-gone-west

Re: World of Warships

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I know the Monarch at T8 is basically one of the rejected KGV plans, but I thought it had 15" guns?

But as far as T7 goes, I expected the 14" KGV to be the premium and not the Nelson. Interesting. I guess the KGV is easier to play than the 'All forward guns' Nelson. Maybe that's why they have done that. In a way I can understand. Or maybe the Nelson was always going to be a premium. Remember when the images first came out, the KGV had T7 and the Nelson didn't have anything.

At the end of the day, KGV with 14" guns or Nelson, it wont effect me. I would buy either one anyway. Since I have the Dunkerque, playing the Nelson wont present me with any nightmares.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I think they only moved the Nelson to be a premium in the last supertest update, it was at tier 7 in the line. Yeah, looks like Monarch got the 15 inchers in the 3x3 config instead of 15inchers in the 4x2x4 config, which is a bit shit. In the end it will mean tier 7, 8 and 9 are all variations on the KGV.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Me wrote: In the end it will mean tier 7, 8 and 9 are all variations on the KGV.

I know what you mean, but the KGV is a pretty dam good ship at T7, irrespective of how good the guns end up being. Scharnhorst works well at T7 with its 11" guns, so I am hoping the KGV works just as well (if not better), at the same tier.

Still, I will get the Nelson. That is a cert. Would be good if it was the Rodney, due to her war record. But I don't think they will.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Have you tried Operation Dynamo yet? Its a right blast.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 am

Yeahs its pretty good, the best of the co-op missions I think. Just got 5 stars on it.

If there's going to be a premium Nelson you'd expect it to be the Rodney to be honest.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am

Well that didn't take me long...

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 am

Nice. the ship specific missions are really really fast if you have the premium ship. the bismarck ones looked really easy if you had the Hood with the last set.

Have you heard about the smoke firing changes they're testing yet gpa? Firing makes smoke dissipate faster, I think a BB can blow it all out with one shot.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 am

Me wrote:Nice. the ship specific missions are really really fast if you have the premium ship. the bismarck ones looked really easy if you had the Hood with the last set.

Have you heard about the smoke firing changes they're testing yet gpa? Firing makes smoke dissipate faster, I think a BB can blow it all out with one shot.

Oh yes. The forum is raging. :lol:

But looking at it seriously for a moment. Cruisers sit in smoke, or hide behind islands because its the only way they can succeed in the current meta. Its not how its supposed to be, but its hard to have a sensible conversation on how you fix the issues of how to get cruisers moving again, without somebody on the official forum using the BBaby tag line. You dont fix cruisers by just nerffing battleships. A battleship has always had the upper hand over a cruiser. The battleship is the daddy, its how its always been, and will remain so.

Should they restrict the number of battleships in a game? Yes. Should battleships have radar? No. Could you reduce the range and some of the strength of secondary guns? Yes. But if you want to stop some battleships from hiding at the back, get the cruisers moving again. Cruisers working together are a battleships worst nightmare in this game.

The issue of balance cant be fixed by changing one thing. There is no magic bullet. But changing the smoke mechanic is something that definitely needs changing. Its not going to fix anything on its own, but sitting still inside smoke spamming away HE is no way to win, and far from fun.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:51 am

Its hard to change the smoke really, RN ships would be in a really really bad spot if they can't fire from smoke as they're really easy to delete and very short ranged. The japs and russians can dodge at long range and duke out a BB but an RN ship would really struggle without constantly being behind islands. The forums and reddit do massively over react to any testing though, fuck me they threw a different shit fit at every change to the RN BBs. Saying that, they're all on the wargaming wiki now, its still showing Nelson and Monarch at Tier 7 with KVG at tier 8 although the pictures aren't matching the gun configurations listed for a few of them.

How far along the trees are you now Gpa? I've just got the New Orleans, actually the Pepsicola wasn't too bad really, got unicum rating over 31 games. Only got to tier 3 in the French cruisers, not really bothered with them yet. Really enjoying the Neptune, its like the Fiji come again with the firepower increase over the Edinburgh. Funnily, I had a Shok try and delete me, not one of his torp bombers lasted long enough to drop one torp!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm

At Gneisenau, Amagi & North Carolina in BB's.

AT Yorck, Figi, Algerie, Clevelend & Budyonny in cruisers.

Gneisenau left me cold, so switched back to the USN BB line. Haven't played the North Carolina much, still getting used to how dam slow the AP shells are in it. Hits bloody hard though. Decided to rest the Amagi for a while. I love it to bits, but its tough going. Will keep playing the NC until the RN BB's land then I will give them a go.

Cruisers I have a love hate relationship with. I love playing them, but I am more than a little crap in them. So I dabble in them now and then.

Really liking the Dunkerque, despite its quirky nature. Situational it may be, but in the right game, a right blast.

gpa-gone-west

Re%3a+World+of+Warships

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh, and talking about cruisers hiding in smoke. Had a quick game in the NC before I went to work this afternoon. Scored three citadel hits on cruisers hiding in smoke. I was well chuffed. They didnt stay still for long. :lol:

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am

It's always satisfying to nail a smoked cruiser, the spotter plane makes it alot easier too. You have to get through the Gneisenau gpa, the Bismark is too good to not have, plus it's just had its secondary range extended. How are you playing the Gneisenau? You do have to be very aggressive in it, charging single battleships to make up for its low number of guns. With the torps you'll win any close range brawl.

How are you finding the Fiji?

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Doing OK in the Fiji, but I don't spend enough time in cruisers yet, to fully do it justice.

I will get around to grinding through the Gneisenau at some point. I just have to knuckle down to it. I will probably wait until I have done a few RN BB's first though.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 am

Looks like the Nelson will be a freeXP ship, someone suggested about 250k worth.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 am

I was just reading that, in between all the usual bile from the usual kindergarten graduates on the forum.

I have no problem with it being a free-xp only ship, I guess. If people want it they can work to get it. I would be surprised if its that much though. Wasn't Missouri (at T9) that much?

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing