South Park - The Fractured But Whole (PC/PS4/XOne)

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: South Park - The Fractured But Whole (PC/PS4/XOne)

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:41 pm

RPS WIT:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... but-whole/

Sounds like a decent if unspectacular sequel, and the writing isn't up to the quality of the first. I'm sure I'll end up getting it, but not at full price.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

I got the impression that the writer of the RPS review didn't like the humour as much because it touched on subjects he finds precious.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah it really does seem to obsess over elements that really aren't especially important. It touches on sensitive issues, but to expect any sort of sincerity at all from South Park is just missing the mark of the whole point of it. South Park pulls no punches against anybody, it calls everything out and will use absolutely everything as the source of a joke because ultimately it simply highlights how ridiculous everyone is no matter your colour, gender, nationality IQ, whatever. People just get uppity when something they associate with falls in the firing line; ultimately they're missing the whole point.

Eurogamer's main beef with it seemed to be that it was just more of the same as the first game, but with deeper combat mechanics and skill systems. The review ended with something like "this sequel was made because the first was successful rather than due to the writers having anything meaningful to say", as if that is a criticism ever held against any other major game, or indeed that the first game really had much to say in the first place aside from fart jokes, gaming meta jokes and Nazi zombie fetus jokes.

From everything I've seen of it so far, it basically seems that if you really liked the first game then you will really like this one; the mechanics go a bit deeper but it otherwise suffers from the same flaws that the first one did. The writing in all the preview footage seemed absolutely no different.

I'm going to hold out until I can get a GOTY edition with all the DLC, but I'm still really looking forward to getting my hands on it eventually.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Eh, I don't know about that really. The RPS reviewer didn't sound offended, if anything he said the offensiveness doesn't go far enough, and that while the first half of the game drew big belly-laughs as the game wears on those fizzle out into a bit of a rush-job ending. More than anything else, that was what I thought sounded most disappointing.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Glowing review at PCG (which incidentally also says the story is the only weak part and lacking bite): http://www.pcgamer.com/south-park-the-f ... le-review/

I would probably get this today as I'm sure it'll be right up my alley, but cheapest I can see it is still £35. They've priced this one too high, imo. Will wait for a sale for that reason.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I understand what you are saying about the price, but I don't think £35 is too high a price for a game that has just come out.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I understand what you are saying about the price, but I don't think £35 is too high a price for a game that has just come out.

That's literally the cheapest from any key reseller (Instant Gaming, CD Keys etc). It's going for £50 full-price. For me personally, for a 15-hour game, that's too much.

Usually I'd expect £35 top-whack and circa £20 from a key reseller, which I'd have likely paid.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Well, found it for £32 on GMG (which included an additional 5% off voucher that's active for the next 7 days), so took the plunge for that.

Not much of a plunge, really, I'm sure I'll like this as I loved the first one, just a little bit more expensive than I'd have liked.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm

I held off because Steam reviews say it's really buggy.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I just paid full price for this game (60$) I played the first one and enjoyed it but never finished it, mainly bought it cause my wife is a huge South Park fan so we'll kick back and play it till we get bored of it . Got it for PS4. And since it comes with a free copy of the first one maybe I'll get around to playing all the way through

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Edwin wrote:I held off because Steam reviews say it's really buggy.

FWIW I've played a few hours now and haven't encountered any bugs.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:51 pm

What about Nazi zombies?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Uh, no. No, they've been conspicuous by their absence so far as well.

Played it a lot today actually. It's really good. Comments about the story being less focused than the first game are fair, but that's fine.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 pm

I think I'm in the finale section now, round about 20 hours played (maybe slightly under), and have enjoyed it a lot. I haven't encountered a single bug, either - or if I did then it wasn't one I noticed.

Very much recommended to anyone who liked the first game. It does feel like a bit of a one-shot experience, rather than one you will want to replay, so it may come down to how much game you would generally expect when paying that kind of price. For the £32 I ended up paying I feel ok about it, any more than that and I think I'd be saying wait for a price drop.
My face is tired.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing