XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th August

The strategy of playing ones role.
User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Equipment, skills and familiarity, probably.

The first time I came across a sectopod it nearly destroyed my team. These days I take them out with a few shots (skills like rapid fire, for instance, just eat through them when paired with AP ammo).
My face is tired.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I stopped playing a few days ago, took on a kill the assassin in her base mission to end the twat once and for all. She's tough and doesn't trigger overwatch shots at all leaving her to pretty much trounce my team on her turn then disappear away. The idea of getting the sarcophagus destroyed then finally killing her is ok and all but damn it has like 40 health. Dealing with that plus the assassin plus the waves of stuff she brings in is above my team abilities. My team has 6 guys, one major a couple of captains and Lieutenants. I might have to reload the save back on the ship.

The overall problem I'm having is keeping my team uninjured and shagged, the avatar project has started its 20 day countdown, I know should deal with that but I really wanted to kill off that assassin twat in case she shows up on a facility kill mission to completely cluster my shit up.

Urgggh hard game.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24792
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Raid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm

The sarcophagus is technically a mechanical enemy, and you can apparently deal massive damage to it with bluescreen ammo or EMP grenades (one Reddit user said that a sharpshooter with bluescreen rounds and the Fanfire ability can kill it in one turn).

I personally went too hard on the sarcophagus itself; I killed it thinking that it would stop the Chosen regenerating and kill them for good. What actually happens is that the Chosen pops out fully healed, regardless of when you destroyed the sarcophagus. I spent the rest of the mission dealing with two andromedons and the Assassin at the same time, and it was almost disastrous.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Yeah I definitely need to get some more abilities on the team before doing this mission. Just want rid of the Edwin she pops up on every mission bar a couple for me.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 am

Once you've killed her when she first spawns, when you kill the sarcophagus in a turn or two she should pop out with reduced health (there's a countdown on the right, increases by 20% health each turn you take to kill the sarcophagus).

My fights went like, arrive in her arena, take down the two enemies in one turn, wait, next turn advance on her sarco until she appears, focus her down while leaving a guy or two further back to deal with the summons. Once she's dead focus fire on the sarco for a turn or two while mopping up those respawns, then once the sarco has been destroyed hit her with everything you've got. I will say that a decently specced specialist with four heals plus, ideally, a revival protocol can make all the difference here due to her tendency to knock out one of your troops on her first turn.

If it's any consolation, the assassin is by far the hardest Chosen to dispatch, a combination of the way her arena is configured (the other two offer good high ground in the centre) and that I and probably most other people are less advanced when they meet her compared to the later two (by then was a fully Colonel squad). Also make sure that your squad is set up to take advantage of their weaknesses - each one will be vulnerable to one of the hero characters, plus something like explosions, or close range shots or melee.

I took the hunter down in two shots (plus one for the respawn), while the warlock if anything was even easier. Neither got an opportunity to use one of their skills.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:47 am

Cheers sly. I'll try to get a few more promotions on my guys then hit her again. Definitely need to hit an alien facility. Are those missions hard or is that a stupid question? :)

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 am

Jez wrote:Cheers sly. I'll try to get a few more promotions on my guys then hit her again. Definitely need to hit an alien facility. Are those missions hard or is that a stupid question? :)


They shouldn't give you much difficulty hopefully if you've got decent gear. The story ones (blacksite etc) are a little harder than the randomly generated alien bases, I would say.

If you're going after the latter, make sure that it's one with at least a couple of pips below its icon on the world map, as that's how much it will reduce the Avatar project when you beat it. Nothing quite like destroying a base then getting home to discover it did sweet FA to the doomsday clock :lol:
My face is tired.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24792
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 am

I think the blacksite has strangely altered difficulty. You'll encounter the highest level enemies that you'd see on any other mission (and likely one of the Chosen), but for some reason when my partner did hers last night, she was encountering advent troopers with 3hp and sectoids with little more than that. She was running a near highest rank squad.

It's funny; I'd had enough stress in my day yesterday, so just watched her play for a bit (restraining myself from backseat-Commandering :P). We're at a fairly similar level of development; plasma weapons, encountering sectoids, roughly the same part of the main story etc. She however, despite having 10 resistance contacts compared to my 11, is getting literally three times the amount of resources as me (I think I'm getting around the 600 mark, she got 1700), and I think we're on the same difficulty. I know the Assassin did affect my resource gains early on, but it can't be by that much, surely.

Actually, seeing some of the crazy bullshit situations I saw her somehow get out of last night (Codexes missing despite flanking her, their overwatches missing too, andromedons that seemed to want to kill only the surrounding cover), perhaps she *is* playing on a lower difficulty. It's that or she's the one syphoning all of your luck, Jez :P

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am

One thing I find really funny and great is the lost. They didn't seem to attack the aliens when focussed on your team. But a ultrasonic lure into a group of aliens is funny. They'll switch direction and go harass them instead. Had a mission to rescue a VIP and 2 decent soldiers. Was tough mission until I remembered I had the lure and hadn't used it yet at all. Throw that into a hard covered pair of mutons and one viper... They were tied up f9r the rest of the mission while I picked the others off and got on chopper giving them the cheery wave.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 am

Raid wrote:I think the blacksite has strangely altered difficulty. You'll encounter the highest level enemies that you'd see on any other mission (and likely one of the Chosen), but for some reason when my partner did hers last night, she was encountering advent troopers with 3hp and sectoids with little more than that. She was running a near highest rank squad.

It's funny; I'd had enough stress in my day yesterday, so just watched her play for a bit (restraining myself from backseat-Commandering :P). We're at a fairly similar level of development; plasma weapons, encountering sectoids, roughly the same part of the main story etc. She however, despite having 10 resistance contacts compared to my 11, is getting literally three times the amount of resources as me (I think I'm getting around the 600 mark, she got 1700), and I think we're on the same difficulty. I know the Assassin did affect my resource gains early on, but it can't be by that much, surely.

Actually, seeing some of the crazy bullshit situations I saw her somehow get out of last night (Codexes missing despite flanking her, their overwatches missing too, andromedons that seemed to want to kill only the surrounding cover), perhaps she *is* playing on a lower difficulty. It's that or she's the one syphoning all of your luck, Jez :P


I don't know if it was because of the way I've been playing (was a fairly long time before I starting reaching out to other continents), but by the time I had a decent monthly income I'd almost lost any real need for resources. At this stage I've made contact with every region and got enough radio masts that I've got each available continent bonus to earn just over 1000 supplies each month, but it's been ages since I needed to spend anything so am sitting on 7000+ supplies and wondering what to do with it all.

Some of the continent bonuses are pretty neat (in particular the one that means you instantly collect the supply drop is a real time-saver) though so worth checking those out and prioritising the ones you think would be a big help.

Interestingly, the resistance orders seem to be randomised to an extent. I've been watching Christopher Odd's playthrough on YT and for a while he's had a resistance card that means as long as you damage a Lost it's a kill (called 'between the eyes' or something), which obviously means the missions where you face them are suddenly a lot easier. Yet in all this time I've played I've not even had the option of collecting or earning that card through covert ops.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24792
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am

I've had "Between the Eyes" since the start of this playthrough, and yeah, it makes the Lost almost trivial to deal with. I had one mission recently where there were no Advent at all, just a Lost swarm spawning on every turn. I equipped my best gunslinger with that flintlock-looking pistol that never misses, and she would take out every Lost she could see on every turn (it's a pistol so doesn't need reloading, you still get the free headshots proccing from Headshot so long as you kill the target... and you never miss). It was the most stress-free mission I think I've had. :P

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 am

Raid wrote:I've had "Between the Eyes" since the start of this playthrough, and yeah, it makes the Lost almost trivial to deal with. I had one mission recently where there were no Advent at all, just a Lost swarm spawning on every turn. I equipped my best gunslinger with that flintlock-looking pistol that never misses, and she would take out every Lost she could see on every turn (it's a pistol so doesn't need reloading, you still get the free headshots proccing from Headshot so long as you kill the target... and you never miss). It was the most stress-free mission I think I've had. :P


Can think of a few times it would have been really handy, so a bit miffed it never came up for me.

But at this stage, with the equipment and soldiers I've got, it's no longer really an issue. The only ones I don't reliably kill instantly are the brutes with the big hp bars, and even then I've got a high crit chance which then results in a kill.

Had one quite fun one. I built a psi lab finally a while back and have been levelling up a couple of psi soldiers (I'd actually forgotten how it works in Xcom 2, where they level up through training rather than XP as it worked in the first game, part of the reason I didn't bother until late on), one of which picked up the dominate ability in his first or second level.

Went on a Lost mission with some Advent, and discovered an enemy pod sitting right in the middle of a huge number of Lost. I mind-controlled the Advent purifier, got him in a position where I could hit some 10-11 Lost with his flamethrower and let them have it.

The next go I ran him right next to a couple of other enemies and detonated him (ie sniped him from afar), which amused me greatly :lol:
My face is tired.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

I'd love a mission like that :)

It's definitely rolled me the campaign from hell. I can't hardly sit on a supply drop and suck it up without some shit happening that I have to firefight.

Fun and I'm keeping head above water but on wounded and tired troops so it won't last forever.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24792
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

If there's one thing I'd change about the game, it's the amount of interruptions on the Geoscape. I'd prefer shorter scan times (combined with lower rewards and more scanning sites to balance it out) just so that I could claim things without having to visit five different screens or go on an hour's worth of missions. WotC only added to the problem by introducing the Resistance Ring and more missions to support the resistance factions.

It's not an especially big deal, more of a minor irritation.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Raid wrote:If there's one thing I'd change about the game, it's the amount of interruptions on the Geoscape. I'd prefer shorter scan times (combined with lower rewards and more scanning sites to balance it out) just so that I could claim things without having to visit five different screens or go on an hour's worth of missions. WotC only added to the problem by introducing the Resistance Ring and more missions to support the resistance factions.

It's not an especially big deal, more of a minor irritation.


It's part of the reason why I targeted the 'instantly collect supply drop' continent bonus as soon as possible, it made a fairly big quality of life difference to my campaign.

It does get better, though. I'm actually kicking my heels for something to do a lot of the time now. I've killed all the Chosen, through covert ops a and a couple of other things (resistance card that lowers the clock by one each month plus an alien base mission) my Avatar clock sits on pretty much zero all the time, I've nothing to scan, have made contact with every region... I don't need any more supplies, elerium, alloys or intel. I spent most of the last month camped at the Reaper HQ scanning for intel as I had nothing else to do really.

All but a couple of my soldiers are colonel now and my psi operatives will be maxed out soon, so I'll probably do the remaining story missions and that will be pretty much it.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests