XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th August

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: XCOM 2 [PC] - War of the Chosen expansion out 29th Augus

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:59 pm

The roll was kind there Sly Can I give you my save game and see some real horrors haha :lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 pm

There's no such thing as bad tools, Jez... ;)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Whew! Finished my campaign just in time for DOS2 coming out tomorrow.

With all the Chosen already defeated, the end-game played out much like it does in the base game, and the final level was identical from what I could tell, so no real revelations for anyone here.

I will say I derived a certain amount of satisfaction from the final shots being fired by my gunslinger who was with me from the start, who I'd chosen to deck out with a Freddie Mercury 'tache, monocle and electric pink fedora. After taking a hit from my Reaper upon spawning, the final Avatar teleported to within four squares of him. Blew its brains out with an almost desultory 100% chance to hit fan-fire.

All in all, War of the Chosen was a fine addition - adds plenty of interest to the missions themselves, while the rewards remained very useful to me right to the end... in fact it was due to them I barely had any use for the multitude of weapons mods I gathered.

It would be interesting to know how the final mission plays out with any of the Chosen left alive, though (if anyone feels like experimenting on my behalf :P ). I slightly regret taking them down by the last third of the game, and if I do an eventual replay may well leave the Warlock alive... his weapon was the least indispensible of the three.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Caved and bought this at the weekend. The campaign started pretty well - I handled my first Chosen encounter effectively, I breezed through my first encounter with the Lost, my soldiers were progressing and base development was coming along nicely. And then inevitably I had a catastrophe of a mission where everything went wrong. :lol:

It was a supply raid in an area of Chosen activity, and I so, so nearly ignored it. But no, I went for it and found my team in the middle of a heavily-guarded area where I accidentally got spotted on turn 1. I missed every shot that turn. Then the Chosen turned up. 1 round later and my best soldier was bleeding out, my second best was dazed and the other three were in horrible positions.

And then the Lost turned up.

Cue several rounds of carnage. The Chosen stole intel from my dazed solider's brain and he died. The bleeding out soldier died. A car exploded and killed one of my other guys. Somehow - I have no idea how - the remaining two members of my team managed to clear the area of hostiles, taking heavy injuries in the process. I managed to get one supply crate, while Advent got about 4 or 5.

Lesson learned: If an unessential mission looks like it has the potential to go bad, it will go as bad as bad can go!
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I've pretty much stopped using cars as cover unless they've already exploded. It's like using an explosive barrel in Doom; why cover behind something that if hit, will kill you?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm

I have to keep reminding myself about their explosive nature. Were cars in the XCOM universe all engineered by Michael Bay?

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Yes. It would also explain how you can ignite non-combustible materials like bricks and iron fences.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Has anyone had any problems with mission objectives not triggering? Never had any issues with it in the base game, but in WotC I've had a couple of missions I've had to restart because objectives aren't updating. Pretty annoying.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Didn't have that problem myself.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Nope, nor has my partner.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 pm

No complaint here on that score either.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 am

Weird. Oh well, guess I'll just hope it doesn't happen again.

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am

Got to the bottom of the issues - it was a conflicting mod which I'd forgotten to disable.

I'm approaching the end game, all three Chosen are defeated and things are settling into routine again (not necessarily a bad thing). While I've thoroughly enjoyed WotC, I think I still prefer the base game for its focus on the fundamental systems. The Chosen are shit-scary at the start of the campaign, but once I got a few captains I could take them out in one or two rounds when I bumped into them. I was disappointed that each of the three missions to finish them off permanently were all the same, when a little variety could have made them interesting and tense (I was tense on the first mission as I didn't know what to expect, but the second and third missions were pedestrian). The alien hunters DLC give a better challenge with better rewards. Even when they appear in the WotC campaign they're the best (i.e. crushingly painful and harrowing) missions, especially when they turn up at the worst possible moment. And even with a high-ranking team, they can be incredibly dangerous.

I do like the covert ops as it adds another dynamic, and it would probably work well in the base game too. WotC is a great DLC overall, but I do think the base game will remain my go-to XCOM 2.

Photos!

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing