No Man's Sky [PC, PS4] - June 24th 2016

The strategy of playing ones role.
Lee

Re: No Man's Sky [PC, PS4] - June 24th 2016

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Have you been left cursing in public over FTL, then to find everyone looking at you :wink:

Ah if it's more relaxing/slower than FTL think I'll pass on it then.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:47 pm

eVoL wrote:Or Sean Murray can cash out and live like a king ;) Thats a lot of money for such a small team.
I suppose. It would not be a business model that shows him in a good light, but if money was the end goal and just lying to get it, all the more credit for taking gamers for gullible suckers. But the price is that his reputation in game design is pretty much discredited
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Aside from a personally unmissed multiplayer option I have to say that NMS is about what I expected from this. It was always going to be a chilled out game considering the sheer size of the thing. It was never going to be the Second coming of of baby jesus to gamers. Aside from the multiplayer thing it's what was advertised along a fairly tight line of reckoning.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 am

I equate playing NMS to taking a dump. I don't have any strong feelings about the experience; occasionally something interesting will happen or there may be a minor struggle, but it's mostly mundane with a single specific goal. Yet I don't regret doing it and I'm sure I'll come round to it again.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am

I took the plunge. Decided ED would be a little to much for my tastes. I wanted something a little more chilled out. I don't miss the 'missing' multiplayer, as I am an unsociable old basterd :lol: But, observations:-

1) Having a planet map, showing the places you have discovered, with the possibility to create a waypoint would be nice.
2) Being able to navigate the galaxy map easier. It feels clunky, and a pain in the arse.
3) Having a list of systems/planets discovered, on the galaxy map would also be nice.

Most of my gripes are down to navigating. I cant believe somebody didn't think of putting planet maps in the game. I want a big fuck-off freighter, but I guess they cost a shed load of money.

It runs fine. I haven't had any crashes or technical issues, except one. I did a scan while on the galaxy map. An abandoned building showed up on a map. I went down into the map, headed towards the building, and......I couldn't get closer than 11 seconds!!! it kept moving away. :lol: Only way I could get there was to go back into space, get much closer and then go back down to the planet. It was well funny.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 am

Some of the mods for this game are already giving a new lease of life.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 am

You know, some peoples reactions to NMS are kind of weird. "The first 30 hours was amazing but then it fell apart" seems common. 30 hours of "amazing" game is a bit of alright if you ask me.

Not saying that NMS is right enough. My actual time with the game was;
Start.
Get told to walk for 2mins to pick up iron.
Get told to walk 2mins back to ship.
Get told to walk 4mins to get plutonium.
Get told to walk 4mins back to ship.
All the while those estimated times were twice as much because I had to navigate the shitty cliff structures on the planet.
Uninstalled.
Never got off planet :lol:

Its a pish game for people who have nothing better to do than fuck about is my insightful 30min opinion. Elite is that but a MUCH better version of that.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mint

Postby Mint » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Hearing that Steam, Amazon and Sony are giving out refunds no matter how much time played.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Mint wrote:Hearing that Steam, Amazon and Sony are giving out refunds no matter how much time played.

Think that's just a rumor. I've played 11 hours and I've been trying since about Friday to figure out how to get a refund. I know it's my fault for buying it, blah, blah, blah. But I'm literally never going to play it again so I'm going all out. I've gotten 4 automated denials so far and I put an actual ticket in but haven't heard back from that. After everything that's been spoiled about the ending plus seeing what what's-his-name said about features and whatnot, I'm surprised they're not making more exceptions for this one. I got suckered just like everyone else. And I even waited until after the reviews came out. My mistake

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Don't believe what reddit was saying in that it was a automatic refund on steam though. It's still a purely at the discretion of Steam still.

http://techraptor.net/content/no-steam- ... s-playtime

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Steam is not giving out automatic refunds for No Man’s Sky regardless of the amount of time played.

It was reported earlier on reddit that some players have been able to secure a refund for the controversial space sim game, claiming they had over eight hours of gameplay on the title after they got a refund. Several others in the same thread have also reported refunds as well, some with over 30+ hours on their game.

However, it should be noted that Steam has not granted it’s player base automatic refunds – meaning it’s up to Valve as to whether or not you will get your money back for No Man’s Sky, if you have passed the 14 day/2 hour no questions asked refund period.
Basically, the standard 2 week, 2 hour limit is not a hard limit for refunds. It is the limit for automatic refunds, requests after the 2 week, two hour limit go through review, so someone at Valve is basically deciding whether or not your refund is being processed. This explains why some players have reported requesting refunds over six times before it goes through.

It should be noted that Amazon is offering refunds for the game on a “case by case basis” as well, while Sony has been difficult with refunding the game at this time.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mint

Postby Mint » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Thought it was too good to be true - I really find it disheartening that the trailer and the interviews before this came out just does. Not. Match the product. There really should be some accountability with this one.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Mint wrote:Thought it was too good to be true - I really find it disheartening that the trailer and the interviews before this came out just does. Not. Match the product. There really should be some accountability with this one.

Shouldn't just pick on this game for that. Its becoming all too common I am afraid. Grandiose promises of 'Genre defining' gaming, showing or hinting at features that just don't exist in the released product. Gaming has become lazy, and the game buying public have bought into it and just accepted it as normal, for far too long.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am

gpa-gone-west wrote:
Mint wrote:Thought it was too good to be true - I really find it disheartening that the trailer and the interviews before this came out just does. Not. Match the product. There really should be some accountability with this one.

Shouldn't just pick on this game for that. Its becoming all too common I am afraid. Grandiose promises of 'Genre defining' gaming, showing or hinting at features that just don't exist in the released product. Gaming has become lazy, and the game buying public have bought into it and just accepted it as normal, for far too long.

This. As long as people keep shelling out for mediocrity and then defending it rather than holding it to account, little will change.

Roll on Cyberpunk 2077.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:42 am

It's probably mostly due to the fact I cancelled my magazine sub a while back for various reasons, rather than any great effort on my part to avoid them, but I barely take notice of game previews these days, and hardly, if ever, watch pre-release trailers. Knowing that it's so much hype and often unrepresentative of the finished product keeps me away as well.

I barely even read (professional) reviews these days, though if a big release comes out I'll cast a quick eye over the scores. More than anything, what influences me these days when buying games is word of mouth and what good chaps like yourselves say about a game you're playing. I scan through Steam user reviews as well to see if there are common issues everyone is bringing up that is likely to put me off.

All of the above helped me dodge what sounds like a pretty costly bullet in No Man's Sky.
My face is tired.

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 am

tbh, my purchase of a Rift has more than paid for itself as I now have very little interest in gaming outside of my beloved flight sim. Even the games I genuinely love pale into insignificance compared to the visceral thrill of sitting in my virtual cockpit, gleefully observing and then destroying the world around me.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing