Wildstar

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Wildstar

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:34 am

Been reading that the ftp version of LOTRO is a bit shit, basically everything you need after about level 10 (which I've not reached yet) is locked behind paywalls, so that's that probably out.
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:49 am

Lee wrote:Haven't played Lotro in years now but I recall GW2 does that for story parts.

WoW set a standard for MMO loading screens.
You could walk from the tip of a continent to the far end without seeing a single loading screen. You could enter any open building, any town, any city without a loading screen.
GW2 has loading screens between zones but each zone was huge so it had less of an impact.
WAR had loading screens between zones and it was fatal as the zones weren't very big and if you had a faster PC than the person chasing you, you could use zone portals to escape a fight.
SWTOR has loading screens between zones, but zones in SWTOR are planets and it makes thematic sense to use a ship (a zone in it's own right) to travel between them. Planets are quite large, usually having several areas within them which are seamless.

Loading screens into instances is a given, you need to be separated from the populace.
Loading screens for personal story missions is also fine for the same reason.

I remember rolling a dwarf, and very early on walking into a house (because it was there). Loading screen. For an empty 2 room area that you walk across in 5 seconds.
It was enough to break the game for me very early on as all the immersion just went away. It didn't feel like I was running around Middle Earth, it felt like I was being herded around it and being punished for being inquisitive.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:09 am

Has anyone played SWTOR free-to-play? Is it worth looking at? Just looking for a fun immersive experience that you don't need a degree in advanced mathematics to be able to work out, that gives you a decent chunk without having to shell out big money for essential aspects of the game that have been walled off.

I just feel like I've played GW2 to death and am looking for something a bit different.
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:17 am

The SWTOR class story content is all free.
It's all fairly good too.

So 8 class specific stories or you to waltz through.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:19 am

Or you could pay a single player RPG >_>
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks mate, might check it out. Got a bit turned off LOTRO by the way WB seem to have monetized as much of the core experience as possible. Wildstar not really jibing with me either, so think I'll take a look.

@ Quietman... I've pretty much played all of them, there may be an obscure one or two I've not heard of, but on the whole I've done them, some of them multiple times.
My face is tired.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:25 am

Hehe, I was only semi -serious :P for what its worth I really liked star wars, but as with all these games they lack the polish of WoW and so I end up returning to that! But it's fun in a lightsabery way and the story missions and instances are well done
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:26 am

Yeah, not really expecting much other than a little diversion... just a bit bored of all my games, nothing really out that I like the look of just yet and don't want to spend just for the sake of it.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:41 am

RPS WIT

It sounds like the free to play stuff is pretty generous with no real need to buy stuff, especially extra bank space which is always the big bugbear for me with F2P games. I would probably check it out if I had the time, but currently too busy with other stuff.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing