Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Jan 20th

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Homeworld Remastered

Postby Snowy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:21 am

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Got to the asteroid mission and, well, according the the internets I have done the last few levels wrong :(

Back to the drawing board...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Yeah, I too started that mission with an inadequate fleet. I'll have to retry the previous mission and attempt to capture a destroyer (rather than getting 90% of my ships blown to pieces trying to kill it - I handled that so badly that I'm surprised I survived at all).

It's annoying that once you've completed a mission, the "Quick dock" function will hoover up all of the remaining resources on the map and jump your fleet to the next mission, but if you want to grab those resources and build something before warping, you have to do it all manually. It's a minor annoyance though; overall I think they've done an amazing job with this. It helps to have had some of the best source material of course.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Salvage Corvettes at the start of the campaign and nick a good bunch of Ion Frigates from the Taiidan, missile corvettes and some assault Frigates for free in the next few missions :)
Keep them alive with only 2 repair corvettes throughout the missions. Then keep around 4 Salvage ships split into 2 groups for easy capturing of enemy ships. Takes Four for destroyers and missile ships.
Don't bother with Support Frigates as they are pretty much useless now since there is no fuel loads and they take an age to repair bombers/defenders now.

Snowy for that mission with the asteroids field you need to watch where your fleet is as they won't try to dodge incoming asteroids like they did in the original. But if you got enough Ion/Assault Frigates to one side of the mothership you can reduce much of them while using the 2 repair corvettes for patch up work on the mothership. Only lost 3 frigates with my 3rd try at it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Salvage corvettes are the best. Not because they're good, but because it's hilarious to watch the enemy's most dangerous ship being carried off in the middle of a fight by a swarm of vessels each a fraction of its size.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm

It was a staple of my Lan days here with 2 cousins. Having to watch out for them stealing yours as you stole theirs in mp :lol:

*drooling*
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:23 am

Coming out in physical form. In a box and everything...

Out May 7th.

Comes with digital copies of the Homeworld Remastered Soundtrack and Homeworld 2 Remastered Soundtrack, and a digital art book.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak releasing on the 20th of January...

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak releasing on the 20th of January...

I like the look of that, get a real Ground Control vibe from it.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:35 am

Yeah the more I see of Deserts of Kharak in action the more it brings back glorious memories of playing Ground Control 1 which i still consider one of the finest games of its type ever made.

I think I'm gonna be buying this as it's been far too long since I played anything in the genre and this looks friggin' amazing.

edit: Turns out this actually started out as a none Homeworld related F2P title...

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:37 am

I recently completed a playthrough of Ground Control 1's campaigns, using a high resolution mod. It still looks amazing and the gameplay is still perfect.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:42 am

A lot of folk always bemoaned GC for not being a true strategy game as it was so action orientated without much of the extra fluff your typical RTS title would come with. Bollocks to that I say. As you said so eloquently Dave the gameplay was nigh on perfect in my eyes too even though Ground Control II while still great lost some of what the original delivered in spades.

Prey
Admin

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Jan 20th

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:52 am

Damn this is out in just 10 days too. Gah. Bought.

My first purchase of 2016 done and ahem dusted. Woo.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 am

Ground Control and the expansion pack is just plain awesome :)

Ground Control 2 isn't as good due some asinine changes like the Arty having to be so close to fire off rounds and the later missions for the Aliens were bloody solid save/reload affairs. But still better than loads of RTS all the same and looked great graphically :)

Not so sold on this Homeworld title though so just going to wait for others to be the guninea pigs. Have they even fixed the formations in the remastered versions not working yet?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:00 am

Two just fell into the trap of delivering a sequel that felt far too traditional and hence lost the edge the original game had. I still enjoyed it but nothing came close to the first game and the extra content that later came out for it.

You can actually still download GC for free from age old file hosting site Fileplanet...

http://www.fileplanet.com/156136/downlo ... ee-Game%29

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 am

Oh I have 4 copies of GC myself >.>
Formerly MrAnnoyed

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing