Kingdom Come: Deliverance - out Feb 13th

The strategy of playing ones role.
katarn

Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance - out Feb 13th

Postby katarn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I feel like the odd one out now, 'waiting and seeing'.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:47 pm

What, how many of us give this one GOTY at the end of the year? :mrgreen:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 am

I've no idea who it was said the story was bad, but they should check in their journo card immediately. The story is great!

Don't want to give away any spoilers, but just to say last night I did the part of the story where you finally catch up with the bad guy from the prologue, and it was epic. Aside from Witcher 3, this game might have some of the best quests I've ever played in an RPG.

Another from last night was one you're given to help out the local executioner, and again it was both excellent and at times hilarious. Once again there were multiple ways of completing it, or even betraying him completely by dobbing him in. There's no Bioware-style morality system (beyond the far more naturalistic local rep system that takes into account being caught stealing, or serving jail-time), but it's better in a way, because the choices I make aren't based on adding points towards some nebulous total I've arbitrarily decided will define this playthrough of the game, and possibly end up getting some bonuses for maxing that out, but because I decide they're the choices I think this version of Henry would make, or even if something sounds particularly fun or interesting even if it goes against the generally good character I'm trying to play.

I really hope this game makes the studio a mint, because I really want to see what they come up with next :)
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 am

Aye story is better than average at the very least and top drawer in other places. I haven't found a mission yet where I thought it was rubbish anyway.

I think the stupid racism thing has not helped here though have seen more than a scattering of social justice reviewing amongst the user scores.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

OK so as requested, some tales of derring-Snow(y) (sorry)

These relate to two side quests, so while they are spoiler-y for what I did and my experience, that is no guarantee that it will play out the same for you. Read on or skip the post as you wish.

For the first, I was tasked by my boss Sir Whatshecalled Thingy, so head to a town in the north as the archbishop had sent a vicar who could cause headaches for all concerned, especially if he was looking to get his sticky vicar-y fingers into the demesne of my boss. So – my job was to make him bugger off.

I duly headed north and met said vicar, who was staying with the priest who features in the main quest chain and that you really should go drinking with. Turns out he is a bit of a Witchsmeller Pursuivant and is looking for likely candidates to torture and burn, and has a lead on some likely candidates that he wants me to find. Speaking to the local priest, he doesn’t want to see anything of the sort, and remembering the spectacular debauch I had with him I decided nor did I. Plus, if the vicar found a supply of flammable heretics, well that would give him cause to stay which would upset my boss.

So I start following down the leads and sure enough I find the people involved. I tell the priest, who tells me to eavesdrop on their prayers, which I duly do. Must say to my ears it all sounded very Christian and not at all noteworthy, but thankfully my Avatar knew better, and having a woman lead prayers that were not in Latin was two big naughty black marks. I headed back, told the priest again and we agreed to try to get the family to leave, so the Witchsmeller would have nobody to find and would sod off.

Another mad gallop cross-country to get back to the farm, as I was worried that the Witchsmeller could mobilise at any moment. I get there and the woman is sat outside. I tell her that I am working for the vicar but that I want her to skedaddle with her family and avoid the hot irons, and the stake that will follow, but the silly old trout doesn’t listen (actually I failed a skill-check against speech, who knows, it might have worked. Or maybe I shouldn’t have said I was with the vicar. Anyhow…).

So now I am in a quandary. The trout is waiting to get roasted for her faith. The vicar is stoking up the brazier and on the trail same as me, just a bit behind the curve. And over it all, my boss is waiting in Rattay expecting results. I head back to town, having decided that the only option open to me is a spot of creative murder. The vicar is sat away from his guards for once, but with his back to the wall and a look on his face that says “Yes, no way will you be stealth-killing me from here”. I loiter for a couple of minutes, looking highly suspect, before drawing my sword and stabbing him in the face. Not exactly subtle, but I have time to rob him of everything he owns and slink away without anyone spotting me.

The subsequent conversation with my boss is awkward to say the least.
“You needn’t worry about the vicar any more”
“Good, what happened?”
“He kinda died”
“WHAT?”
“Um, yeah, someone killed him”
“WHAAAT?”
“I’ll be on my way anyhow…”

Second story to follow!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am

:lol:

I did that quest yesterday and succeeded in that conversation skill-check, so needless to say it turned out a bit differently for me :lol:
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

Right, second tale of valour, heroics, and moral ambiguity:

This time I was out treasure hunting, and doing badly (anyone know where the treasure near the executioner’s gaff is?). The Rattay executioner lives outside the town, a social pariah due to his job. Sat outside the executioner’s house is a wailing woman, so I stop and ask her what the problem is. Turns out her husband just became part of the executioner’s vocation, widowing her, and all her family died of the plague when she was 12. Speaking to the executioner it turns out he is head over heels with this lass, smitten from childhood, and wants me to find her husbands family to take her in.

I head back to Rattay, speak to the bailiff and his scribe, and find that the dead man does indeed have family, and get their location. I duly find the place, and am initially pleased to discover that it is a miller’s residence (millers often being fences for stolen goodies in KC:R’s corner of Bohemia). My happiness doesn’t last. The miller himself is an irascible old bastard who refuses to speak to me. I try my hand at sweet-talking his wife, but she is even worse. She won’t let the woman come and live with them. I try reason (she is young, a strong set of hands to help out), emotional blackmail (she is your kin, she has nobody else), even violence (what if your house burned down? With you in it?) but all to no avail. Eventually I pay her 60 groschen to take her in, and finally the vile crone caves. She does point out that the lass is in for a rough ride, with regular beatings and the life of an indentured servant beckoning.

I really hate this old bag, but need to leave her alive to take in the dead jailbird’s wife. Alive maybe, but she ain’t having my coin. I choke her into unconsciousness and leave her face down in her own vegetable plot, having taken back my coin, and head back to the executioner.

The woman is overjoyed, and even when I point out that she is in for a hard life she still doesn’t seem to care. I speak to the executioner and he is willing to let the girl go purely because he is such an outcast, but is clearly hopelessly smitten. I play the matchmaker between them and finally they both agree with me and get it on. I get a warm glow from selflessly acting to make these two happy, so treat myself by going out and stabbing the miserable miller and his crone wife while they sleep, and ransack their corpses and their home of everything they own.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 am

Did the same quest and reached the same resolution, but must admit that after that our paths once again diverged :lol:

Incidentally, if after that point you see the star icon in Rattay indicated the innkeeper's have a quest to clue you in on, and it involves the executioner again, my recommendation is to pursue that one post-haste. :)
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

There is a treasure map on one of the bookshelves on the 3rd floor where the scribe lives btw...

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 am

Ah! Not seen that, will take a look. I've not been as diligent about following up the normal treasure maps as I was for the ancient treasures (which I think are a pre-order DLC bonus as they've given me a sweet armour set).

Also, tip for the day, if on your travels you run into a cowardly knight and a proud knight on the road, talk to them and take up their offers to duel. Also make sure you wager the former's sword and the latter's armour, both are very nice (and very valuable if you choose to sell them instead)...
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 am

I have the ancient treasures bonus as well, not sure I have seen any pointers for them though. I started the game (from the first locker I was given) with 5 maps, I assumed they were it. Am I wrong?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 am

Snowy wrote:I have the ancient treasures bonus as well, not sure I have seen any pointers for them though. I started the game (from the first locker I was given) with 5 maps, I assumed they were it. Am I wrong?

Yeah, that's the pre-order bonus (and pretty nice they are too). But there are other treasure maps you can find (like the one you mentioned in the scribe's place), I tracked down a couple but they were kind of meh so I haven't killed myself getting the others yet.

Which one were you trying to track down? There's actually two that are a ways west of Rattay, but one is quite close (in the same area where you do the nightingales quest for the huntsman), while the other, despite looking like a stone's throw from the town, is actually pretty far into the SW corner of the game map. You basically have to follow the same road through the forest a lot longer until you see the right landmark.

The one that looks like it's in a ruined building is the closest one, it's easy to miss though as you have to scale the walls a bit and drop into a hidden room to find the chest (there's a bandit camp really nearby as well).
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Also, tip for the day, if on your travels you run into a cowardly knight and a proud knight on the road, talk to them and take up their offers to duel. Also make sure you wager the former's sword and the latter's armour, both are very nice (and very valuable if you choose to sell them instead)...

I encountered the cowardly knight and persuaded him that he should go home rather than bothering people until somebody got hurt. He agreed, and that was the end of that chapter.... I thought. The next day I'm riding down a different road and who should I bump into but the same bloody knight harassing people again! This time I accepted his challenge and roundly beat him to a pulp until he surrendered. Except I wasn't about to just let him saunter off and challenge other people because eventually, I decided, he'd end up killing someone. So I proceeded to clobber him over the helmet and chase him across a field. After a few bouts of tackling him to the ground I finished the silly bugger off and stole all his stuff. This is one of the very few crimes I've committed so far but frankly I maintain it was for the greater good. :lol:

That juicy loot, though...
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Harsh :lol:
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 pm

I got as far as adding to my cart, applying the discount but I still couldn't pay 30 squid for a new game.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing