The strategy of playing ones role.
Marty Fuffkin

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

:oops:

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Around 15 hours into it, really good stuff. I like how the battles can go either way, and a few tactical changes can make a big difference.

I don't know if the battles will stay this balanced all the way through, but up to level 6/7 at the moment and they're a constant challenge.

I agree with what someone was saying last page - its massive strength is the turn-based battles side of it. The game as a whole is nice, but it's all about the battles! The UI is a bit creaky at times.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm

The fights stay pretty much on that level (challenging) all the way to right near the end, really, particularly the boss battles. By the end you can get a pretty powerful spell that I was using to nuke mobs out of combat, so it was pretty easy at that point (I think that spell is a lvl18 minimum).

The final battle is still pretty tough, though.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 am

New companions...

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:49 am

Love this Studio :D
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Got a clear weekend, so I'm going to restart my paltry first attempt that I abandoned weeks ago (I was only a few hours in, mind). Any tips for useful starting skills? I'm definitely taking the talking to animals perk as I did originally, and I think an elemental mage would be useful, but I'm not sure what to do with my second character. I had a two-handed bruiser the first time and he didn't seem to be that great. Maybe an archer?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Take the talk to animals skill for whoever is going to be the leader. You need to take the backstab trait before you can backstab, the attack icon changes when you are in the right place and you don't need to be invisible. Sword and shield is pointless because two-handers are so much more powerful, also in character creation there is a whirlwind skill (I think) that allows you to hit multiple enemies if you don't take it you can't buy a skillbook for it in the game. Leech allows you to heal by soaking up blood on the floor, its great for melee characters although it has been nerfed in a patch. Archers are crap unless you've got a huge supply of magic arrows.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Yeah, I'm not convinced they've got it all balanced properly yet. They're still nerfing here and there and trying to make archers not useless.

Very nice combat system, but it's not quite reaching its potential yet.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Warriors come into their own from the midgame on, if I was starting a new game, with the new companions, I would take a 2h warrior and a non-water mage (as you can recruit one).

I still think archers are a bit crap, my perfect team would be 2h warrior (main), fire/earth mage (2nd main), rogue (companion) and the water mage you recruit in the first town.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Teleport is the only spell you need at the start.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Edwin wrote:Teleport is the only spell you need at the start.

Teleport and featherfall are very useful spells for the mages, archer's retreat is also super-handy for rogues and warriors, so worth putting a point into archery for those classes just for that.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Cheers all - I daresay you can muddle through with most combinations anyway, but I'd like to have a fighting chance.

Photos!

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Might be worth noting that the long-discussed companion update went out in the last few days. This time last week I'd have advised that there will be a 2-handed warrior and an air/water elementalist upcoming. The new ones are a ranger and a rogue. No idea what skills they have beyond that.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm

It's finally hooked me. Played quite a bit this weekend and now feel confident going into most battles. I've gone with a pyromancer/geomancer and a two-handed warrior, and recruited the water/air mage with a thing about demons and an archer/roguey type woman who was raised by bears (I think she's one of the two new characters). The great thing is that each character feels useful in combat, which isn't often the case with party-based RPGs. Even the archery is powerful with a decent bow.

I've just got to the villa at the south-east of Cysael, and I get the feeling it's not going to be kind to me. Might come back later if it's as nasty as it looks.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Ah, you'll be fine. It's not that bad.

There is a boss battle just past that area, though, so make sure you're a decent level for that.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing