Spacebase DF-9

The strategy of playing ones role.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Spacebase DF-9

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Didn't Double Fine make a pretty big goof with their Kickstarter money from Broken Age too? Utter goons.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Mantis wrote:Didn't Double Fine make a pretty big goof with their Kickstarter money from Broken Age too? Utter goons.

I'm not sure it was a big goof. They just ended up making a game bigger than they planned so had to split the game in half.
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 pm

I thought it was all spent on the voice actors.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I was under the impression that they blew their management of the funding and ended up having to release the first half of the game to try and rake in enough to pay for continued development of the rest.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend took forever and blew out their budgets as well. Now Broken Age seems to be having a similar problem.

Yet, while they're working on these big titles, they keep adding more and more smaller projects on top of things.

As lovely as Tim Schafer seems, I do wonder about his style of studio management. :-k
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Lee wrote:I thought it was all spent on the voice actors.

The voice actors did it for free.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Some of the developers who have games in Early Access right now have responded to the DF-9 situation.

Project Zomboid
"Alpha Funded / Early Access is not an 'alternative' development approach. It has a very specific use for a very specific set of games," said Andy Hodgetts of Project Zomboid developer The Indie Stone. "So what is very clear to me, is if you can’t guarantee this from the outset then Alpha-Funding / Early Access is not for you. It’s too risky and were it just your own reputation on the line, that’d be fine. But failures tarnish the reputation of the entire model, so a failure (particularly a high-profile failure) is potentially damaging to the very developers who need this model the most."

Starbound
"It’s not the best time to be a part of the early access party and it’s easy to see why people are worried about the health of the Starbound project."
"Not only is the development of Starbound extremely healthy. (More so than it’s ever been in fact, with more team members than ever and all of us in the same location), but Chucklefish could fund the development of Starbound for another 9 years at least. Even if we didn’t make another penny in that time."

Mia
"At our current burn rate, running off cash reserves, with no further sales of the game, development can easily continue for about five years," Roth said. "That said, current development has a few bottlenecks I would like to hammer out of the pipeline, which will push up costs by a few thousand."

Obviously these guys work on a much smaller budget with smaller teams, but it does still feel like Double Fine botched the accounts on this game.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing