Spacebase DF-9

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Spacebase DF-9

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:43 pm

So Double Fine's newest game isn't Broken Age or Massive Chalice instead it's...Spacebase DF-9.

Basically it is one of the games to come out of that Humble Bundle which allowed people to vote on the prototypes that they wanted to see turned into a game. RPS describe it as Dwarf Fortress in space, but simpler and easier to parse. It looks a bit like Theme Hospital in space and sounds a bit like Startopia. You can grab it right now on Steam Early Access and there is a trailer and a gameplay walkthrough below.

It looks like it could be quite fun and one to keep an eye on.

Trailer

Walkthrough

EDIT: I hope it's pretty feature complete at £18.99.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Me
He's so not aard

Re: Spacebase DF-9

Postby Me » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Price doesn't indicate how close a beta game is to completion these days. Most don't scale with content anymore.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

This sounds interesting, but I'm done with early access stuff, I think. I've bought a few, but I'm just getting bored of them way before they're complete. I can wait.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Jumped on this the moment I saw it. Really love building and managerial games.

Will tinker about a bit to see what it's like, but I've no problem with leaving it to mature for a bit.
End of an Era

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Do tell, I'm pretty tempted by it.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:40 pm

This video will give you a good impression of what it's like at the moment:

Short version: Super bare-bones at the moment. While the ideas are there and the potential is looking good, it's rough and there's f-all to do at the moment.
So for people concerned about the price to completion ratio, you're better off buying Space Colony HD or Startopia over on GOG for fully featured sci-fi building and management.

Also, barely related, but does anyone know the name of that Sci-fi Dungeon Keeper-like game? Early videos were doing the rounds maybe a few months/year ago. Did anything happen with that? I've got the hunger for more room building!
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:45 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Was it Maia?

http://maiagame.com/
That's the one. :)
I see they're going Early Access next month. Good times.
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 am

So Double Fine have decided they have spent enough time developing the game and are set to push the game out of Early Access and on to the digital shelves as a finished product. This means that the big list of possible features that has been up on the site until this announcement was made, will not be implemented into the game as Double Fine have no plans to continue to support the game. Instead they are to release the source code in the hope that modders can add some of the features that they originally promised.

The game will reach version 1.0 on the 15th of October.

I think you are one of the few people who bought this Subway, have they added much since the game went into Early Access?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 am

I've maintained a distant interest in this and look at the Steam forum on the game from time to time. The general feeling seems to be one of disbelief that they're releasing it in this state (ie there's not a lot of meat on the bones as it stands).

I guess it will probably be a case of wait and see what the community can do with it before jumping in, by which time it will be cheaper anyway.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 am

Hmm, sounds like a £3 Steam sale pickup.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah, I was shocked. Not much to it at the minute, it all works but there's not many rooms to build yet. Very odd, they've only just made power requirements for the rooms live.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:38 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I think you are one of the few people who bought this Subway, have they added much since the game went into Early Access?
I'm not sure. My general rule with (the two) early access games I've bought is to have a quick look, then wait until they're done.

Feels a bit scummy to just throw their hands up and stamp the game as "finished", even though it sounds like they hardly hit any of the milestones they'd set. Early Access!
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:49 am

Tim Schafeur has come out to try and defend what has happened to DF-9. Basically it appears that they were hoping to continue to fund development through sales of the game in Early Access. I have to say that this sounds like wishful thinking, especially considering how people now treat Early Access with a great deal of skepticism. It is also a fairly risky way to fund a game in and of itself, regardless of the public perception of Early Access.

Hopefully this will have served as a lesson to them and they will get the funding in place first.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 am

Watched TB's video and it's pretty damning.

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing