Eldritch

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Eldritch

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm

This is an interesting game that is being developed by a few guys who used to work at 2K Marin and Gearbox and they go by the name of Minor Key Games. Basically it is an fps action game with roguelike sensibilities. Graphically it takes it's lead from Minecraft and it has a whole heap of atmosphere, probably due to the fact that they are heavily influenced by Lovecraftian lore.

You start off by waking up in a library and the goal is to escape the library by exploring the three magic books that act as portals to other worlds. Each book must be conquered in turn and every time you enter the book the world is randomly generated. The goal in each world is to make it to the bottom of the dungeon/area and collect an artifact. You have a set amount of life and you start with no weapons apart from your fists. Through exploring the areas you can pick up loot and weapons and also equip abilities. All these things are lost when you die, but you can store some of the games currency, which is used to cast abilities and buy stuff in shops, via chests found in banks.

The game does a good job of balancing risk and reward. You can spend time exploring each level as you work your way down, but doing so may see you get killed, or you can just peg it as quickly as possible to the bottom in the hope that you don't come across anything too scary. Also once an enemy has been dispatched, if you loot his corpse they will respawn again somewhere within the level. So again you have to balance whether you loot the corpse to maybe find a key or some ammo, or leave them be so that they don't come back to attack you again.

The main thing I like about this game though is the atmosphere. The sound and creature design is great and really creates an air of tension. The game always manages to lull you into a false sense of security before suddenly surprising you with a room full of monsters, or a new type of monster that is deadly. Some of the creatures you encounter as the game goes on are genuinely scary. I've only managed to complete the first book so far and there are two more books to do before you complete the library. After that the door will open, but I have no idea what, if anything is behind the door.

It's available to pre-order right now from their website and if you do you get early access to the beta. The game itself is out on the 21st of October and it is a little under £10. I would strongly advise people check it out as it is a lot of fun and for such a small game maybe by a small team it has bags of character and atmosphere. I've also posted a video below of a run-through of the first book that I undertook this morning.

http://www.eldritchgame.com/

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Re: Eldritch

Postby Lee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Looks pretty good but the sound effects were driving me mad in the video. Footsteps noise was the worse for it followed by whatever effect the robed figures were doing :evil:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

They lost me at Minecraft graphics.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Edwin wrote:They lost me at Minecraft graphics.

Watch the video, it looks nicer than Minecraft.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 pm

It looks almost identical to Minecraft! :lol:

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 am

Very much like Delver, which I bought on your lots recommendation...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92982318

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing