War for the Overworld/Dungeons 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

War for the Overworld/Dungeons 2

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 am

This was one of the games that is on show at the Indie Arcade at the Eurogamer Expo this week. It's a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper which has been on Kickstarter and is now on Steam early access. Of all the games that have recently been announced or released claiming to be a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper I think this one is the closest in look and feel. The creatures, sounds and feel of the game closely resemble that of Dungeon Keeper and they even have the original voice over guy.

Right now the beta that is out as part of the early access is very basic and doesn't include all of the features. There are only a handful of creatures, spells and rooms and they have only just started to add missions with a tutorial and one other level being added so far. Also I'm not sure if the UI is the greatest and could use a bit of polish. Even though it is early days though, they seem to be added stuff on a regular basis and I think they could get close to creating a game similar in vein to Dungeon Keeper, hopefully with a few tweaks to bring it up to date.

The game is around £17 if you fancied checking it out and getting access now. However they were giving away codes at the show which give access to the beta till the 6th of October and then a 20% off code for the full game. I have one left so the first person to PM me can give it a try. I think it could turn out to be a pretty fun game.

Beta trailer.

Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Re: War for the Overworld

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am

So the game is out and it appears that it has some potential, but right now it is a fairly buggy in places. The developers have admitted that they have had to release the game early because of financial reasons, but they are committed to squashing all the bugs and implementing the features that are currently missing, mainly based around multiplayer and skirmish modes.

It's a bit of a shame that the game is as buggy as it is and with Dungeons 2 out on Friday it's a difficult decision to make about which one to get. It seems WFTO has more variety and is a better DK game, but Dungeons 2 is a more complete game. It's a tough one.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:16 am

Dungeons 2 scored 76% on PCG this morning. Sounds like a decent game, but no way I'd pay full price (circa £40) for it. Definite future summer sales purchase, though.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 am

Both can be picked up for around £22 from cdkey sites.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 am

Yeah... I'm thinking more like a fiver tbh -_-
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:08 am

Lol.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:57 pm

So I decided to go with Dungeons 2. Of the two it seems to be the more complete game and I like the aesthetic and the rts stuff sounds like a nice little addition. I'll let people know how I get on with it once it unlocks.

DjchunKfunK

Re: War for the Overworld/Dungeons 2

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 am

I've played the first three missions of Dungeons 2 this morning and so far I'm enjoying it. It is a lot slower than DK with it taking time to build up your forces, resources and your dungeon. Everything feels a lot more sedate and so far there hasn't really been any dungeon micromanagement to carry out to keep minions happy. All the standard stuff from DK is present; mining, traps, invasions from enemy forces, but the focus is very much on getting your dungeon working right before venturing out to the surface to take on the enemy via the rudimentary RTS section. You have to make sure you balance your forces as well, because if you send all your forces up top, when the enemy invades your dungeon you wont be able to protect it. The other major difference is that minions don't automatically enter your dungeon via a portal, Instead you create them using gold which allows you to have some control over what type of force you would like instead of a dungeon full of beetles, spiders and flies, which could happen early on in DK.

I really like the art style and the way it changes the overworld as you take over areas. The narration by the Stanley Parable guy is, on the whole, very good, but occasionally some of the jokes fall a bit flat. There are a few bugs here and there. I had the mouse scrolling break on me, one crash early on, but nothing since, and a few minions that wouldn't move about they just lay flat on the floor as if they were dead, but on the whole it is pretty polished.

I certainly think I'm going to get my enjoyment from it and I managed to pick it up for £20, so all in all I'm pretty happy so far.

DjchunKfunK

Re: War for the Overworld/Dungeons 2

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:22 pm

The more I play of Dungeons the more I like the two split thing they have done. Having the RTS side and the dungeon management side is a really neat idea. It stops things from getting boring as you can switch things up by going out and smashing some Alliance scum. Yes it is fairly basic and only a few of the units have activatable skills, but it is still a nice change of pace. The style of the game is really growing on me as well. It has it's own little charm and some of the animations of the units are really nice.

Dungeon wise they have managed to strike a nice balance between getting gold and upgrading your dungeon. You never really have too much gold and you are always having to make decisions on what to spend it on and there is a lot of stuff to spend it on from spells, to traps to room upgrades and even unit upgrades.

I have to say that I am really impressed by what I have been playing. It's isn't a straight up DK clone, it does things a bit differently and because of that I think it is a better game than it would have been if they just went for a straight clone.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing