Papers, Please

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Papers, Please

Postby Snowy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:43 am

I had a little indie-game spendathon last night, grabbing Papers, Please and Spelunky. Not played Spelunky yet, will do that tonight, but I did spend some time with PP.

Recommended, in a weird way. The game if you don't know is set in 1982 with you being selected via 'Labour Lottery' to work in the newly opened border control point in your dystopian country of Arstotzka. It is your job to screen the endless lines of people wanting to come into the country, and either admit them or deny them entry. The game starts off easy, with just passports and entry tickets to check, and ratchets up each day with more complexities.

Each day, as at the end of each day you go home, with your pittance of a salary, and work out what you can afford to spend it on - food, heating, medicine for ill family members. And that salary can be hit by mistakes that you make - reject someone who should have been fine to admit, or admit someone whose papers were not in order, and you will soon find yourself getting fined for your errors - having those errors cost you the medicine to keep your wife alive is a very dark way of punishing your for mistakes and makes the game really compelling. The amount of possible discrepancies increases daily, and you find yourself really kicking yourself when you get fined for someone not matching their passport photo when you have checked expiry dates, permit stamps and god knows what else.

As the game progresses, you get some additional grim options, detaining possibly suspicious individuals by the secret police for example. You also get some moral dilemmas - allow a husband and wife into the country despite one of them not having the correct papers, rejection dooming one to certain death back in their homeland? Get a letter from a girl saying she fears being sold into sex slavery by someone behind them in the queue.

It is a very bleak game, but really compelling, and if you have a fiver spare and are intrigued you could do a lot worse.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Me
He's so not aard

Re: Papers, Please

Postby Me » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am

It does sound intriguing.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Posted about this in the indie thread a while ago. Really simple game mechanics yet it creates a great little atmosphere that I found very addicting.

There wasn't really a whole lot to it when I played though. I think the chap was talking about adding more content in the future before final release.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Is it just me who lets that dude in that keeps coming back? I feel so sorry for him even when I find out what he's doing. Anyway, played this a shit load and my first and only ending:

Spoiler: show
Ended up helping the Order. They got me to kill a guy who was trying to get into the country and was an assassin. I went to prison,. my family was interrogated but finally let out. I was put on death row and my family had to to move to another country. The Order shut down and couldn't take over the government so I ended up doing it all for nothing. Was fun though. Feel horrible when it comes to the scanner though.

zwingly

Postby zwingly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Been addicted to this for the past few days, trying to see how various actions branch out into different outcomes. It's a really smart and compelling game, not to mention surprisingly tense. Definitely the most interesting game I've played this year. The Eurogamer review hits the nail on the head, so be sure to read it if you're still undecided. Or you could just play the free beta: http://dukope.com/.

Sigur Ros wrote:Is it just me who lets that dude in that keeps coming back? I feel so sorry for him even when I find out what he's doing.

Sigor I'm guessing you're referring to...

I let in good old Jorgi in the end as well.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:47 am

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:53 am

zwingly wrote:
Sigor I'm guessing you're referring to...

I let in good old Jorgi in the end as well.

Aye. I love that bastard

1234-OKOK. I love it.

Wet myself when I saw that.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Fuckin' buuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmppppppp!

:D

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing