IL-2 Battle Of Stalingrad

The strategy of playing ones role.
Achtung Englander

Re: IL-2 Battle Of Stalingrad

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 am

Jason Williams was a very fascinating guy. You can see he is a games man in the sense that he actually plays the games his company makes. Interesting set up with him living and working in the States and running his company with Russian developers.

He was pretty chuffed when I stated how great the IL2 games are and how awesome Oculus Rift is. He can see how OR will totally change the way we play flight sim games. Going back to a monitor will be like going back to black and white TV after colour HD tv.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 pm

As expected Ilya Shevchenko, the binned IL2 Cliffs of Dover lead has announced a new WW2 sim based on Eagle Dynamics DCSWorld platform. The imaginatively titled DCS WWII 1944...

One WW2 plane is already available in the DCSW engine, the P51 Mustang, its incredibly detailed technically and physics wise it sets a new bar for WW2 flight simulation. Every switch modelled, very slick advanced flight model, full damage and weapons included, BUT is just one plane dumped in the modern environment ED has created for its jets. Its sort of fun dogfighting A10s and SU25s in multiplayer but it feels a bit weird.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IodepBs0w7M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIodepBs0w7M

Shevchenko has a lot of work to do to quickly create further planes to the standard ED have already set, but that's what he's promising. Kickstarter on the way for the brave apparently.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109847

RRG Studios announces an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for DCS WWII: Europe 1944, a start of an exciting new flight simulation series.

MOSCOW, Russia – September 1, 2013 - Legendary flight simulation designers Ilya Shevchenko, Igor Tishin, and Matt Wagner are excited to announce an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for a new WWII flight simulation being developed for the PC. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 is the start of an exciting new flight simulation series. Built by industry veterans at RRG Studios with the same approach that made famous flight sims of the past great, and in partnership with the experts at the Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics, the simulation aims to satisfy seasoned aces as well as attract new pilots to the genre.

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will take the player to the skies over Western Europe at the height of WWII in 1944. Players will attack enemy ground vehicles in the famous P-47 Thunderbolt in the Battle of Falaise, or intercept waves of B-17 Flying Fortresses in their Messerschmitt Bf.109; or attempt to fend off incredible new Me.262 jet fighters in their suddenly slow and obsolete propeller-driven Spitfires.

With successful Kickstarter funding of stretch goals, the project will include more famous historical aircraft, such as the Lockheed P-38, de Havilland Mosquito, Messerschmitt Me.262, and even a flyable version of the Boeing B-17.

The simulation is based on the award-winning DCS engine used in such stellar products as DCS: P-51D Mustang and DCS: A-10C Warthog. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will boast an all-new EDGE landscape engine, as well as many new and updated features.

As all simulations in the DCS line, DCS WWII titles will boast detailed recreations of famous WWII aircraft and meticulous modeling of individual aircraft systems. Combat missions over a huge game world painstakingly recreated from period maps will offer rich single-player experience recreating famous battles from both sides.

DCS WWII will also ship with advanced AI that recreates historical tactics and models pilots of varying skill levels, from bumbling rookies to merciless aces. Other features such as the dynamic weather and seasons, comprehensive training, robust multiplayer , a powerful mission and campaign editor, as well as a mission replay system, pilot log book, and other features will all add up to incredible player experience.

“With unparalleled attention to detail, our developers have decades of experience with aerial combat simulations,” said Ilya Shevchenko of RRG Studios. “We are famous for our ability to make our games fun while maintaining unwavering dedication to historical realism. We can do it because the relatively simple aircraft of the WWII era do not require extensive training, and nimble controls and simple weapons naturally lead to fast-paced close-quarters battles.“

“We want to open a new page in WWII combat simulations,” said Matt Wagner of Eagle Dynamics. “At the same time we strive to recapture everything that made the flight simulations of the past great, starting with a thick spiral-bound manual and comprehensive training, and ending with great free-for-all multiplayer. We want to keep creating the content that we enjoy creating and that our fans enjoy playing for years to come.”
The team intends for DCS WWII: Europe 1944 to act as the forerunner of a long-running DCS WWII simulation series covering all theaters of WWII, and expanding into other nearby conflicts, such as the Korean War.

In addition to industry-leading attention to detail, incredible graphics, unparalleled flight dynamics, and award-winning multiplayer, DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also shop with an innovative distribution model. As the last major release in the DCS line, DCS World, DCS WWII will also be distributed via a free-to-play model. The full-featured core game will be available as a free download, allowing anyone to check out the game and its features. Additional modules containing new aircraft or new gameplay areas will be available as a separate purchase.

The free-to-play model allows a wider audience access the core game by, in essence, offering a free demo that allows anyone to try the game before they buy it. At the same time, the model accurately reflects immense development costs attached to historically accurate study sims.

The Kickstarter campaign for the title will launch on September 5th.

About RRG Studios

RRG Studios brings over 10 years of experience with WWII flight simulations to the table. Staffed with flight sim veterans that worked on the greatest WWII flight sim series of the 21st century, we literally wrote the book on the new generation of flight sims.

About Eagle Dynamics

Eagle Dynamics is the studio responsible for the biggest modern aviation sims of the past twenty years. In-house experts have industry-best experience with physics, avionics, ballistics, and all other components that go into making a successful flight simulation. Eagle Dynamics continues to redefine the genre and continuously sets the bar high with each new release.

About the Fighter Collection

The Fighter Collection is the company that manages Eagle Dynamics. It is based in Cambridge, England, and it operates Europe’s largest fleet of airworthy WWII aircraft. The Fighter Collection runs the annual Flying Legends airshow, giving us unprecedented access to the aircraft we simulate.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Early Alpha access opened today with 1 plane to fly round in :)

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/9-g ... iscussion/

The bump mapped snow terrain already looks close to photo real and the billowing snow effects and wheeltracks when you go off runway are nice touches. Things are looking quite positive so far, 777 have delivered a product that works at least. Should be a fun year as more stuff gets added.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 am

He wants to be closing that window! Its bloody cold there by the looks of it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am

it does look amazing but in all honesty it only looks marginally better than IL2 1946

I had a chat with 1C just yesterday
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm

You really think so, do you mean IL246 or CloD? 777s new lighting is amazing. I really like the dynamic cockpit shadows and the subtle reflections in the windows #nerd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8CDjKh ... e=youtu.be

That vid shows off the flight physics pretty well also, bouncing down the poorly paved runway fighting the engine torque is very challenging even coming straight from DCS P51 and the ROF planes. This game isn't easy, as with ROF the planes aren't going to be a variation on a theme as they are in IL2.

I think we need to see some non snowy maps to see how good it looks compared to DCS, ROF and CloD. I do like the bump mapped snowfields though.

I agree the cockpits are nice but not as detailed as Maddox Games made for CloD. The CloD cockpits have almost every screw modelled in 3D, they took years to make and I don't think we'll see better with current mesh and texture techniques. On the flip side they drained resources from a struggling project. 777s cockpits are detailed enough IMO.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:30 am

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/257 ... entry58234

Nice video featuring the 2 alpha access planes :)

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Lagg v 109. This weeks early access addition, ammo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnAC6TavIgE#t=0

Compared to other simulations I've tried BOS does feel very visceral. Your plane really bumps and shakes, the wind howls through holes in the canopy, even in the early alpha state the damage, smoke and fire effects are really nice. Its especially cool how the smoke and vapour effects come from the correct areas on the planes, in a turn you can see grey smoke coming from the engine and white fuel vapour coming from further back from holes in the fuel tank.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:59 am

This came out last month

http://il2sturmovik.com

anyone playing it - is it worth the money ?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Mogster wrote:I think we need to see some non snowy maps to see how good it looks compared to DCS, ROF and CloD.

Up yer bum, my maps are fucking brilliant! 8)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 am

Achtung Englander wrote:This came out last month

http://il2sturmovik.com

anyone playing it - is it worth the money ?

A few mates of mine have it, and say it's a very good game. However, the developers are being absolute twats and screwing the game and the community over.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:58 pm

please elaborate. I met the guys from 1C and they did come across as nice guys if a tad obnoxious.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Aye spill the beans on it!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 am

Sorry chaps, I can't find the forum threads I was reading. The short of it is, they brought out an update that forced you to play through a shitty, not-even-career-style campaign to unlock skins and stuff for multiplayer (a lot of serious squadrons like to use their own skins, etc). When the community complained, even politely, their threads were locked and deleted. One dev had a massive spaz fest at the community.

One dev came out and said if the MetaCritic score didn't go up then they would cease working on the game by Christmas (another dev later denied this and said he was just ranting, but their lives were so hard and people were so mean, blah blah). Then they halved the server slot count from 64 to 32, even though very few people had issues with the 64 slot servers. Their reasons were that it was still unstable, even though they said they were out of Beta a while before that.

One particular member of the community, who had provided a 64 slot server for ages and really helped support the game, complained and got shit from the devs for it. That kinda thing. I'm paraphrasing as I wasn't directly involved (don't have it) but my mates were rather miffed, and have returned the Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion patches.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:26 pm

so that sounds really shitty, I am not sure if I want to buy this. It does look cool but supporting knobends is a no no for me

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing