Gnomoria - Dwarf Fortress with graphics

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Gnomoria - Dwarf Fortress with graphics

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Marty Fuffkin wrote:OK, my second attempt has been far more successful than my first.

I simply dug a one square wide moat around my entire settlement and then put everything except farms and trees underground.

Currently I'm building by Metal Crafting area in order to create some weapons and armour. Then train a few fighters and start expanding downwards.

Quick question: One of the reason to mine in the first place is for stone and then ore. Once you have a healthy supply of both those things, what is the next thing you're looking out for?

Yes, I actually dug a one-sqaure moat around the entire perimeter of the map, good way to protect your settlement in the early stages. I've now built a barracks well away from my civilian base, with lever-activated walls so I can let in enemies bit by bit, straight into the training grounds full of my soldiers.

As for mining, the short answer is better ore. You're going to want steel armour as the bronze stuff just isn't hardy enough when armoured goblins and the like start turning up. However, this isn't strictly necessary, as you can take the iron and steel armour and weapons from dead enemies, and use the steel and smelt the iron down to make steel plates etc.

I'm guessing this element of the game (mining and need to do so) will get more attention in future updates.

Oh, you do get gold ore quite far down.
My face is tired.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Do I want this? I'm not sure if I want this.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Sure, why not - if the idea of Dwarf Fortress with decent graphics (simple but cartoony) and an accessible UI sounds appealing, it's the closest you'll get really.
My face is tired.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Just started playing this (only scratched the surface of Dwarf Fortress). Loving it so far! Planting strawberries underground is obviously not intended, but until he gets some underground crops in the game I'll consider it fair game ¬_¬

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Build a stonemason and thank me later. Took me ages to find the one workshop that builds knives, the seemingly key ingredient to building a bunch of other workshops. Also one Goblin mullered half my workforce. I attempted to make little graves, but you can't fill in/remove stairs as far as I know (didn't use ramps as there was no way to select their direction).

Florey

Postby Florey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Just picked this up in the steam sale for £1.99 and am loving it, other than the fact that I can't seem to get my guys to make a stone cutting workshop, I have the pre requisites, a chair,a workbench and a chisel, my miners are just sat around idle, I can't motivate them to make the thing. Any pointers?
To amuse emus on warm summer nights
Kiwis do wiwis from spectacular heights

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Been a fair while (and a few builds I'm sure) since I played this last, but to ask the obvious - have you got gnomes allocated as builders? If you do, then check if they have other jobs (such as mining, or woodcutting) that may be being given priority. Make sure you have a couple of builders with no other job roles, hopefully that should sort it.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Florey - also, if you haven't already, might be worth having a quick read through this thread (it's only a few pages) as I tried to give a few pointers as I was getting to grips with the game initially - and I also link to a useful wiki that tells you all the important stuff.
My face is tired.

Florey

Postby Florey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Ah, builders no I don't think so, I have read through this post and also watched a tutorial but that was from a few builds ago, he said that miners become stonemasons but that was before the crude workshop setup. Will allocate a builder in the morning and see if that works! Otherwise it is a great little game!
To amuse emus on warm summer nights
Kiwis do wiwis from spectacular heights

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah, I suspect it's because you need builders to assemble the workshop, and then the miners/stonemasons will operate it to make stuff. Hope that works!
My face is tired.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing