Gnomoria - Dwarf Fortress with graphics

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Gnomoria - Dwarf Fortress with graphics

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 pm

There's a good chance this is just me, but for a long time I've loved reading Dwarf Fortress diaries and long plays and ogled it from afar... while at the same time knowing I'd find it completely inaccessible due to complexity and the 'orrible graphics (or lack of them).

Today I found a new game being made that, while pre-Alpha, is available on Steam Early Access for £6, which is basically DF but with a proper UI and 3D graphics.

I've been toying with it for a couple of hours and, a few teething problems aside (I still grieve for the miner I accidentally trapped underground, who starved to death before I could work out how to get her back to the surface) I've become thoroughly absorbed. Got a few farms going now, a few workbenches set up so I can start crafting some furniture and what have you (my dwar- I mean gnomes are still sleeping on piles of straw, and the dining room is bare of tables, chairs or cutlery - surprisingly no-one has eaten in there yet)

If you're in the same boat as me regards DF, recommend maybe checking it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500/
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Gnomoria - Dwarf Fortress with graphics

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 am

Oh, if anyone does get it, there's a useful fan-made Wiki that quickly runs through the basics:

http://www.gnomoriawiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:27 am

It looks interesting, Dwarf Fortress's lack of graphics put me off too. I'll wait until its is finished though.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am

Can understand that.

FWIW, though, haven't encountered any bugs yet and it's very stable - I think they're just going to be adding more features as they near release, so a bit like Mincraft.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

Mmmm colour me interested!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm

I tried, but I couldn't find a colour called interested, so I'm still normal colour...

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:53 am

This is great, started excavating to the lower levels and finding marble, precious stones and different metals to use for crafting (like Mincraft, the world exists on a number of planes, not sure how far underground it goes but I've scrolled down as far as -50, with ground level being 0).

Starting to burn through gnomes worryingly fast though now enemies are spawning every couple of days. I can only afford one dwarf in my militia due to numbers, which isn't a problem really as I only have one sword and one set of armour that you're given at the start of the game - I still haven't been able to build an armourer and weaponsmith. They get through the scraps ok, but the goblins keep murdering the others. If they get injured so badly they start bleeding, if you don't have any bandages to patch them up, they eventually bleed to death. I don't have any bandages. Lost 5 out of my 13 gnomes in this way so far. In desperate need of some settlers to turn up.

At least I have a loom and tailor shop now to craft bandages, and finally was able to build some doors for the settlement, so hopefully I won't lose too many more...
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 am

Got wiped out when a skeleton and a couple of golems spawned in my excavations.

We dug too deep. :(

Learned some valuable lessons though, so treating that settlement as a tutorial. Onwards to settlement II! This one will go so much better, I promise ( :^o )
My face is tired.

deetz

Postby deetz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Is this anything like Towns?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm not familiar with Towns myself but if it involves little people that you tell what to make and craft and expand while defending from invading forces then it is. Don't think I even seen a picture of any npc's or goblins in Towns when it was first put on the greenlight thingy.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

deetz

Postby deetz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 pm

It does look quite interesting. The major thing that stopped me playing Dwarf Fortress was that i couldn't wrap my head around the shit interface. This seems to have gotten around that.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Honestly, if I can learn the mechanics and enjoy it, then anyone can! :)

I knocked the enemy spawn rate down a bit for my second try, as felt a bit overwhelmed and unready for everything first time round, going a bit better this time. Got a hospital, tailor (for bandages), armourer and weaponsmith set up by the time enemies start ramping up in difficulty, makes it much more manageable.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 pm

It's very much like click on say build a farm icon then click and dragging a box and one of your gnomes will go off and do all the work. Very simple interface that once you understand the layout which is simple you can be doing half a dozen tasks without trying to think to hard on it.

It does seem bewildering on the first go but then any of these games are till you hit that point were you click and it becomes second nature :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Yeah, I'd almost say treat your first settlement as basically a trial/tutorial... just try a bit of everything, see for yourself how it all works and what the main priorities are, and once you've got it all straight in your head go start a new world and do it all right from the start.
My face is tired.

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Is the difficulty timed, Sly? As in once you get passed a certain hour mark the game will start throwing enemies at you? Or is it more to do with the fact that you're expanding and digging deeper that brings the monsters out?
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing