Europa Universalis IV

The strategy of playing ones role.
Wrathbone

Re: Europa Universalis IV

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:55 am

My time as England has not been most triumphant yet. :( I reloaded just before invading Connaught and went for Leinster instead, as they had fewer allies. I was then called into multiple wars against Castille due to my alliance with Aragon, which I helped win but made things tricky for a few years. France declared war on me and I somehow completely trounced them. Celebrations all around! But then Aragon fucked everything up.

For some reason they declared war on Austria. Being a good ally, I accepted to the call to arms and helped with an invasion near Naples, but then on the way back my entire fleet was lost at sea, with my entire armed forces on board. Disaster. I also had a random event stability drop. My predicament didn't go un-noticed, and Brittany declared war on me, followed by Connaught (who had by then taken the rest of Ireland). I scrambled to build a scrap of a fleet as fast as I could, but it was no use as I was blockaded. Then Aragon, the absolute bastards, declined to join the war, despite me helping them in 3 separate wars. I thankfully managed to persuade Portugal to join the war against Connaught, which gave me enough time to build 3 cogs and relay enough troops across to Ireland to drive them back. I had to release Leinster, though.

The war against Brittany lasted about 5 years and eventually turned in my favour. But by the time I'd got on my feet, I was getting rebellions due to war exhaustion all over England. Brittany made a peace offer for two of their provinces, but I made the silly mistake of being greedy and not swallowing my pride. I tried to go for full annexation as revenge, only to discover that it now requires diplomatic power (of which I had very little due to reducing war exhaustion). So I made a peace for two provinces and some gold.

My economy is completely on its arse. Inflation is at 1%, my coffers are empty, my trade routes are buggered because I have almost no fleet and I'm due to repay 3 loans in the next few years. I've been credit crunched. Lessons have been learned, but it's going to be tough to get out of this hole.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I'm heading along pretty steadily as Portugal, never had a war or even a battle in Europe, all my fighting has been against weak backwards nations in the Americas, Africa and the far east. I've taken most of central America and a large junk of both south and north. In Africa I've got a few small colonies which act as naval staging bases for my fleets as it moves around the cape of good horn into the far east. Took a small chunk of India along with half of Brunni which have also allowed me to get a few colonies going on the spice islands too. Almost economically crippled myself a few times by having too many Colonies on the go and my inflation is at a giant 25%

A weird issue with the Ruler power thing is that, as I'm taking diplomatic and trade Ideas I have masses of extra Military points left over, so I'm greatly advanced in terms of military tech, 10-20 years beyond everyone else. Even though on the face of it I should be behind everyone since I put nothing into the Military, my entire army is about 30k on 5 continents.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:56 am

How long did it take you to get the Quest for the New World idea? I'm in 1463 and I've just got the one before that. I want to get colonising ASAP!

Also 25% inflation is going to be fatal in a few years, surely?

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:43 am

It doesn't take too long, it's only the 2nd option in the exploration (I think) idea tree which you can take as your first idea. Portugal start with a few explorers too so they can find Brazil easy enough, just need Cape Verde and they can get to American even with a small Col range. England's issue is King Henry VI, he's so shit he stunts your early growth.

The inflation hasn't bothered me yet, got 5k in the bank and I'll make about 50 ducats a month without Colonies., plus a few of my ideas lower the costs of building. A really good idea is to take money off the new world counties after your first war with them, Aztecs are loaded, managed to get 2k in the first peace deal.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:55 pm

I've got explorers now and taken some land and cash off the Aztecs, but my colonial range is only 240, which means at the moment there's nothing near enough to colonise. I can't see any way of expanding the range either, and I can't make my Aztec provinces cores as they're too far away. Portugal have nabbed the Azores, which would be a good foothold for America, but I don't want to attack as they're my closest ally. I think I'm going to focus on Scotland first instead.

Photos!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Got the Exploration Idea and the third or fourth one along is +50% colonial range? Other than that maybe grab Greenland? Not sure how quickly England can colonise as i've never played them before.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Wrathbone wrote:I've got explorers now and taken some land and cash off the Aztecs, but my colonial range is only 240, which means at the moment there's nothing near enough to colonise. I can't see any way of expanding the range either, and I can't make my Aztec provinces cores as they're too far away. Portugal have nabbed the Azores, which would be a good foothold for America, but I don't want to attack as they're my closest ally. I think I'm going to focus on Scotland first instead.

Portugal start with Azoures I think, you'll never beat them to it. Didn't know Coring had a range though, I've never not been able to core anything. Anyways, upgrading the Diplomatic Tech expands your Colonisation range with each upgrade I think, and as Ros says there's ideas to expand it too. Might want to try Africa, that'll leave you quite close to South America, even better if you can get Cape Verde. Might also want to take from land off the Creek and see if you can core them, that'll leave you able to nab everything in the Caribbean along with North America.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 am

Another risky way i did it was to get an alliance with Sweden and when they declare war with Norway or visa versa (they always end up in a war) ship your troops off to Iceland and peace out as soon as you get both provinces. From there Greenland should be reachable then Canada. From there just grab a Caribbean Island and you should have access to everything. yet to colonise in my game, but it's probably the way I'll do it as I have half of Iceland already and getting New World Quest very soon.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Coming to the end of my First game as Portugal, I own most of the Americas, only missing Canada and New York along with the southern part of South America. Also got chunks of India, the Cape of Good Hope and most of the Spice Islands. Got almost 200k in the bank and I make 250 profit a month, over 3k a year from Trade as I'm collecting in 8 different area's where I'm the most powerful trader. Managed to do all this without getting into a single European War (unless you count Morocco).

France started off very strong and began blobbing into Italy, however a few coalitions and they've been torn to bits, most of central France has been released. The HRE has also formed, pretty damn large but also quite holy (geddit?) with several German states which left the empire.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:49 am

How did you turn a steady profit as Portugal at the start? I briefly had a go as them and the economy was like if Greece had decided to put all its bailout money on a horse called "Mr Glue Factory". I did ally with Castille immediately rather than taking back the province I had a claim on, which may have been a mistake.

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 am

You do need Castile as an ally, you ain't going to beat them in a war, plus you need them to fight Morocco. In money terms I didn't have too many issues, however I did keep a small army and had very few advisor's and even then rarely had an excess of money. They are pretty poor until you start exploring and colonising then the trade money starts flowing.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Finished up my Game with Portugal, had a steady course at the end, largest empire, highest trade etc, but not the highest Navy or Army, my force limits never matched GB for navy or France and HRE for land. Not that it matter, I never fought a war in Europe, always kept my killings to the weak technological nations outside of the west. Might have a crack at England next, but I don't want another Colonial empire, hate have a colonies and trying to fight a European land war, too many balls to keep in the air at once.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Be really careful of entering a coalition, I'm in one against France which was started by Austria, the entirety of France had the shit kicked out of it 10 years ago and we're still at War, Austria won't peace out and only the one who started the war (Austria) can end it, so we're all stuck here unable to do fuck all. I've been ready to do an Imperial before for about 7 of those years and I can't because I'm in a war I can't get out of!

Zael

Postby Zael » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 pm

That happened to me too. The country that started the war was asking for redicilously high concessions and the warscore wasn't high enough. What we ended up having to do was conquer every single province until the warscore was 100%. It's not ideal though because by the time that happened my war exhaustion was so high I was getting revolts all over the place and when we finally finished the war the aggressor got every thing and I got nothing.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 pm

The warscore has been at 99 for 30 years now, I don't have the navy to go around and clear up every colony they have so I'm sat waiting for others to do. My game is pretty much broke now, cant do fuck all and I've been set back 30 years. Plus, if it does ever end everyone involved is likely to collapse afterwards. Fucking Paradox, they always leave in one major oversight in their games and even worse they're shit for patching them too. Vicky 2's government system was fucked for about a year until they fixed it in a DLC.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing