Total War: Arena

The strategy of playing ones role.
Edam

Total War: Arena

Postby Edam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 am

@jameshrussell wrote:Very excited that in my #GDC talk tomorrow, I can announce a new @totalwar game in development - and it's like nothing we've done before...

Watch this space, and let the speculation commence!
Last edited by Edam on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: New Total War announcement today

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am

Medieval TW3 incorporating 1st person options for combat a la Mount & Blade, assassinations a la Splinter Cell (when it was good), and the gratuitous nailing of princesses with an entirely new subgenre of motion captured pr0n game.

I should do this shit for a living ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:33 am

Maybe they've acquired the license for a Game of Thrones TW game?

He said hopefully.
My face is tired.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 am

They're aren't going to announce another major game while TW:R2 is still being developed, it'll be another mobile game. Maybe, maybe if we're really lucky it'll be a mobile port of a full version of one of the older ones

Edam

Postby Edam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 am

I'm sure we've had announcements of future games leading up the the release of a presently developed game. Didn't that happen with Empire just as M2TW was about to come out?

Maybe my memory is off, but they've definitely always said 'were working on the next one', development has overlapped and they've always been very transparent about it.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm

They recently acquired the Warhammer license didn't they?

Edam

Postby Edam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah, I suspect that's what it'll be. Although I hope not, because I know nothing about Warhammer and doubt I can be enthused by such an announcement :(

I'd like to see a WWII Total War. That /might/ class as 'unlike anything we've done before' if the hyperbole is applied correctly. >.<

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm

With that quote in mind I think Warhammer is a good bet as a fantasy based game would be totally different to their current output.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm

WW2 would be tough to do I think. It'd be too much like Company of Heroes and i don't see the TW crowd following it.

I secretly hope for a LOTR or GOT. It's a safe bet it'll be Warhammer though.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm

LOTR would be really boring, the world is too black and white. GOT would be pretty awesome, but I suspect it'll be Warhammer seeing as they've already confirmed that they acquired the rights to the fantasy licence when they bought out chunks of THQ.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 pm

They've been going in the direction of special abilities with upgradeable generals in Shogun2, plus with unit ability cooldowns and stuff, so Warhammer Fantasy would actually be a pretty good fit in the Total War series - with all its hero units and so on.

In fact I'm drooling at the prospect of fielding armies of Tomb Kings or Skaven in a TW game....

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Warhammer 40K: Total War would be something very different to what they do now, but I think Warhammer is more likely - Would still be pretty awesome.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Total War: Arena Announced...

Total War: Arena, an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-focused installment in The Creative Assembly's strategy game series, is in development, series lead designer James Russell announced during a GDC 2013 talk today.

Russell revealed that the game will feature 10v10 battles, with each player controlling three units. Players will be able to both earn and purchase items in-game. He characterized Total War: Arena as a cross between a multiplayer online battle arena and a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

"It provides a much richer variety of experience," Russell said of the multiplayer-focused game.

The developer is hoping to gather a large player population, which is part of the reason The Creative Assembly chose the free-to-play model, Russell said. Total War: Arena has been in development for over a year.

Russell said that the developer is experimenting with changes to the Total War formula, focusing on changes like manual aim, charges and active firing, all of which are influenced by the MOBA genre. He also characterized it as a response to the three units players will control, as opposed to the 20 units in the "core" Total War series.

"We want Arena to be just as active and skill-based [as previous Total War games]," Russell said. "It absolutely has to be."

The Creative Assembly will be overhauling the damage control in Total War: Arena with a new focus on per-unit damage. Attacks from the left or right may only damage certain units, Russell explained.

"The behavior of individual men is completely automated," he said.

A series of short videos shown at the end of the reveal highlighted a working version of the game in which a player selected and moved individual units using drag-and-drop control.

In response to a question during the Q&A session, Russell said that Total War: Arena is not planned to be set in a fixed time period. The developer will use add-on content to introduce more components to the battlefield, possibly from different time periods.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mantis
Admin

Re: Total War: Arena Announced (thanks Prey)

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 am

Somewhat more informative preview over on RPS.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... war-arena/

So basically it'll look like your typical large scale Total War battle, only bigger, and with units being controlled by different players.

There's a lot of "Oh not another MOBA" sentiment flying around on Eurogamer, but I think it sounds intriguing. Certainly an interesting take on the genre, worth keeping an eye on.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Total War: Arena Announced (thanks Prey)

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

My indifference is so strong I can barely even summon the effort necessary for a meh...
My face is tired.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing