Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - F2P CCG

The strategy of playing ones role.
Medicine Man

Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - F2P CCG

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Funnily enough I've been thinking that way myself albeit minus the £45 bit as I am a 100% F2P player. The next expansion will be the decider for me I think as I've generally been able to save 10000 gold for each new expansion. However as they've upped it to 3 a year that's going to have an impact on how much I can horde in the in-between times. That and I seem to only be playing out of habit and routine than actual desire to play, it's days may be numbered.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Has Hearthstone become too expensive to keep up with?

http://www.pcgamer.com/has-hearthstone-become-too-expensive-to-keep-up-with/

Interesting article.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:02 am

I've never spent a penny on Hearthstone all the years I've played it. However to continue on the F2P track is becoming increasingly difficult and time consuming.

It's almost at the point where its a part time job just to keep up and even then I'm increasingly becoming so far off the pace compared to people who plow money into it that's is losing its grip on me. I've been playing almost every day since the beta and I cant even imagine how difficult it would be for new players to pick it up and play without investing substantial and disproportionate amounts of money into it. Its a great shame and a huge problem for the game.

As much as it pains me to say it because I do like the game a lot, but I don't believe its worth it nor does it provide any kind of value for money compared to the experience it currently offers.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am

I'm close to just giving up. I stopped paying for expansions this year due to the price increase and the fact that there were three coming out in a year. As you say Kenny, trying to get enough gold to keep up is a lot of work.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 pm

It depends on your expectations of how well you aim to do. I'm also a 100% non-paying player and most months I can manage to get to rank 14 from maybe an average of 2 or 3 games a day, which I'm happy with. I'm not an amazing player, nor do I generate a huge amount of gold or go for whatever meta decks are ruling at any given time. I now stick exclusively to one class - Paladin - which means whenever new cards come out I'm only going for that class's cards specifically (plus neutral ones), and I experiment with decks I enjoy rather than decks that have a higher win-rate. For a while now I've been getting a surprisingly decent win-rate with a Cthun deck mixed with some Frozen Throne cards and it's great, especially when I elicit a "wow" from the other player for veering so far off meta.

TL;DR, if you're purely aiming for the high ranks and nothing else, not paying is tricky. If you're prepared to accept limitations on how high you can get, there's a lot still to like for free.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing