Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 am

Updated my journal.

In other Torment news, people are so enthusiastic about this game that it’s being delayed to add new stretch goal features. In a blog post, Kevin Saunders explains why the game will no longer launch in December 2014 as originally planned. “Many of you have asked if the unexpected support we have received will require us to push back the release date,” Saunders wrote. “While we do not yet know what our final development budget will be, we do know that we’ll need a few months past the December 2014 launch date we first proposed at $900,000.”

Saunders said that the extra funds and time will allow the team to “increase Torment’s scope and quality bar,” and promises details about the development schedule once the Kickstarter campaign ends later this week.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 am

EDIT: Nothing to see here.
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 am

DJ think you got your wires crossed, this is up on indiegogo from a different team called Ohno Studios.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 am

Ops. :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Am I the only one who hears the Numa Numa song when they read the title of the game?

If so, then not any more, muahahaaaa
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Oh, fuck you, Snowy!

MAYA HEEEE!
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Pushed back to "late 2015" apparently. :(
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:09 pm

So that's what you meant Snowy :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 am

:D

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

It seems that the delay is down to Wasteland 2 and how well it's Kickstarter did. So I guess the delay to Wasteland 2 has then led to a delay to Tides. Makes sense really.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Whenever this game comes up, I see little to no mention of a certain background fact. Numenera is a published tabletop RPG.

It's also a terrible one.

In terms of setting, it's actually Earth in the far future. Civilisation has built up to massive technological heights and collapsed back to nothing something like eight times now. Naturally, every time people build up again you end up with bands of roaming adventurers digging through ancient ruins and picking up odd technological things that are now so poorly understood that they might as well be your classic fantasy setting's ancient magic items, aside from the fact that their batteries have a tendency to run out. On the same note, most if not all wizards have no powers, but instead can manipulate the world in odd ways due to technological means, like having ended up in control of a cloud of nanomachines or weird implants or something.

This should all lead to a fascinating world, where empires are built on barely-understood technologies that occasionally do weird things nobody was expecting and wars are won or lost based on how useful the latest discoveries are as weapons. Sadly, it's all plate mail and swords and wizards. There's huge potential there that the published book utterly fails to bring up, leaving it as Generic Fantasy Setting #4066. About the only creative thing is that it lacks the standard fantasy races. People are more or less human, just with little quirks due to several thousand years of interbreeding with aliens and/or genetic modifications passed down after a distant ancestor got some work done during a high-tech era.

This is all solvable with decent writing. The rules... aren't. I'm not going to go into the problems here because they're mostly incredibly dull and I have no idea what Tides of Numenera is doing here, but I've got reason to worry now. One of the big issues is the core design decision. The lead writer for the book says he always wanted to make a game where the level of effort the character puts into something can lower its difficulty. This all leads to a quantified system called Effort, with the capitalisation, which again sounds okay until you look at it. Characters get pools of points from which Effort can be drawn. These pools are equal to your three stats, which are basically strength, dexterity, and intelligence (also, your three character classes each use one of them far more than the other two and are basically fighter, rogue and wizard. But it's not a generic fantasy setting).

In practice, tasks have a difficulty rating that can be lowered by throwing Effort at it. If your not-a-rogue really needs to pick that lock, drop a dex-type point on it. If you need to really hurt a tough opponent in a fight, add a strength pool point or two to your attack. Intelligence points are simialr, just used for brainy tasks like knowing things or working out how the ancient machinery you're looking at works. Seems okay?

Have I mentioned that your hit points are drawn from these pools? Take a hit and one of your pool totals will lower.

It kind of makes sense. If you've been stabbed, you won't be putting so much physical effort into things because THE PAIN. Mental and magical attacks tend to hit the intelligence pool, which is similarly sensible in a "I can't concentrate due to the illusions" way. Problem is, it works the other way as well. Remember how you worked out the machnery a few minutes ago because you are very clever and had points to burn? That means you're less capable of resisting hostile wizards now.

Now, maybe the Tides team aren't going to be using-

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Intervew wrote:RPS: Can you explain Numenera’s skill system? It sounds fairly atypical in the grand scheme of CRPGs, but also rather versatile.

Heine: The Numenera skill system is atypical in that any character can attempt any task, and for moderately difficult tasks, even an untrained character can succeed for a cost. This is extremely versatile. We can worry less about whether certain character builds can pass obstacles or not—they all can; it’s just a matter of how much it will cost them.

Say the ancient ruins you’re exploring are trapped by a complicated prior world detonator. To disable this thing would be a difficulty 6 task, which on the Numenera scale is very hard – an untrained character could only succeed about 15% of the time. Training in any skills that apply will lower this difficulty up to two steps per applicable skill. So someone specialized in, say, Lore: Machinery would attempt the task as a difficult 4, with a 45% change of succeeding.

Additionally, there’s the concept of Effort, where you can spend points from the appropriate Stat Pool (in this case, Speed) to lower the difficulty even further. An untrained character of a high enough level could spend points to use 4 levels of Effort, reducing the difficulty to 2 and giving themselves an 85% chance of success.

Ah. On the plus side, no word on if Tides will follow the core book and start reducing pools if you make the mistake of thinking heavy armour will actually protect you.

The usefulness of this pool system is always going to depend on the frequency of refreshing and the number of times you need to use points in between. If you're only using five points from each pool between rests, then even the fighter won't run out of intelligence points. On the other hand, if it's 20 then the wizard is going to need to ration intelligence carefully so they don't completely drain themselves and fall over the moment someone throws an attack that hits the intelligence pool at them.

Wait, we're talking about a computer game adaptation. 99% of players won't waste what are effectively hit points on improving a 30% chance when they can just savescum.

TL;DR version:
The Torment part of the name is a good thing, but I suspect purely marketing. The Numenera part is a really bad sign for reasons that aren't Numa Numa jokes.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 am

So this isn't a sequel to Planescape Torment then. Savescumming and abusing the rest button will get around the Effort system unless they put restrictions into both.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Hrm. Pillars of Eternity it is!
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing