Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Last month, inXile’s Brian Fargo spilled several important beans about post-Black Isle, post-Planescape plans for a sequel to the legendary RPG Torment, in a brand new and rather tasty-sounding roleplaying setting from ex-Wizards of the Coast man Monte Cook. While there still isn’t too much firm’n'fixed to go on, the game’s gone live with its very own website and the first reveal of its new, full name.

Torment: Tides of Numenera lives.

Given inXile only showed us in-game footage of their next project, Wasteland 2, this month, don’t go hoping for similar from Torment: Tides of Numenera just yet. But there is some concept art, and the following summary:

Set in Monte Cook’s new tabletop role-playing world, Numenera, the newest Torment asks: What does one life matter?

Numenera’s Ninth World is a fantastic vision of a world in which massive civilizations have risen and fallen – disappeared, transcended, overwhelmed, or destroyed – and left their cities, monuments, and artifacts behind. As each rose and fell, their achievements became part of the accumulated detritus of eons… but much of it did not decay. And now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking, ever-present, underfoot. The humans of the Ninth World take and use what they can. They call these wonders (and horrors) the numenera.

One of these humans discovers a way to use the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.

Torment is a game of complex and nuanced morality, deep and reactive choice and consequence, and immersion into a new and strange vision. You will chart a course through bizarre dimensions, across the face of a vastly different world. You will earn companions along the way, and discover their value – perhaps through their strengths, perhaps more literally by selling them. Throughout it all, you will choose a path that will lead inexorably to an ending that stems naturally from your actions, facing adversaries who harness powers beyond your comprehension, and who will ultimately force you to face yourself and answer the question: What does one life matter?

Official site: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
My face is tired.

Zael

Re: Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

Postby Zael » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm

It's not going to have Avellone as a writer which is a big blow. At least it has McComb.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Kickstarter makes £50k in its first 15 minutes...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... f-a-crowd/
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm

£600k on the first day... wow.
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm

It's up to somewhere over 800K now. Wouldn't be surprised if it hits the goal within 24 hours of starting.

Have to admit to being sceptical here. I'd love more Torment, but it seems like an easy thing to get wrong.

By which I mean I'll fling money at it the instant Chris Avellone gets involved.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Yeah, they pissed it.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Its over a million already. I should probably play through Planescape: Torment at some point, the last time I tried I got up to the zombie city.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Still in the first day and they're at $1.25 million and all 15,000 of the early backer $20 pledges have gone. :D

There's 5 nutjobs who've given over $10k as well.

2014/15 are going to be awesome years for games if all these giant kickstarter projects stay on track.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Their $1.5million stretch goal was hiring the guy who wrote Dragon Age 2. :|

And the comments section has gone full retard.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm playing DA2 at the moment, the writing isn't all that bad, just the voice acting and levels.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:I'm playing DA2 at the moment, the writing isn't all that bad, just the voice acting and levels.

Pretty much. The romance dialogue options are all UURGHHH though.
Last edited by Sly Boots on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:I'm playing DA2 at the moment, the writing isn't all that bad, just the voice acting and levels.

*returns corpse of lost sibling found in the sewer*

"Oh thank you! I was wondering where that was, I thought I'd lost it!"

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Dan wrote:

*returns corpse of lost sibling found in the sewer*

"Oh thank you! I was wondering where that was, I thought I'd lost it!"

To be fair those responses are all picked from a random set as those quests are just filler. They did something similar is ME3. It is also highly unlikely that one of the lead writers on a game as large as DA2 is responsible for every piece of dialogue.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 pm

All those worrying about Chris Avellone not being involved might want to think about donating to the project as the $3.5m stretch goal is Chris Avellone. The latest update describes how he will be involved in the product.

"He'll have two primary roles. First, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas. His input will be invaluable as a resource to Colin in further detailing the creative vision for the game.

Second, he'll be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte [Cook - creator of Numenera] to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World.

So if you want to see Avellone involved, get donating.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing