Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Mine might not come as well informed as Wrathbone :) Quite looking forward to it though no2 having read the blurb on it.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:48 pm

I've not seen a great deal about it, but I've peripherally kept an eye on it mainly because it's the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. What I have seen looks promising. Apparently author Patrick Rothfuss did some writing for it, and that gives me hope that the story will be high quality.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 am

My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Apparently author Patrick Rothfuss did some writing for it, and that gives me hope that the story will be high quality.

I wish the prick would get on with his own series - two books, man the guy makes GRRM look prolific!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 pm

:lol:

I've started The Name of the Wind and it's good, but I've not got too far with it yet. I mostly know him from the D&D Acquisitions Inc live shows, where his wit and skills for storytelling really come through. But yeah, even peripherally I'm aware that he's got a lot of pissed off fans waiting for book three. Maybe I'll have caught up by the time it's released!

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Snowy wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:Apparently author Patrick Rothfuss did some writing for it, and that gives me hope that the story will be high quality.

I wish the prick would get on with his own series - two books, man the guy makes GRRM look prolific!

Are you referring to the Kingkiller series? I've heard good things about the first book but have always struggled to enjoy books written from first person perspective.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Funny old game this. It's very slow going but it's got its hooks in somehow.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Jez wrote:Funny old game this. It's very slow going but it's got its hooks in somehow.

Yeah, from the reviews it sounds as if it's a bit slow at the start. Still torn.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Its not what I was expecting that's for sure. Having read the various preview stuff think I was expecting loosely based wasteland 2 styles of play. There is combat in this if you seek it but its utterly clear that the game rewards and probably expects peaceful conclusions to adversity. That fine I suppose and it IS fine, its just different. In this you'll talk your way out of trouble. Just not sure I'm going to last the trip having to talk my way out of stuff all the time...I just want to rip some faces out of joint now and then.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm

It seems a little odd given that, sure, Planescape Torment had a load of dialogue, but it also had a fair amount of non-avoidable combat - various demons and suchlike. I think an RPG needs some of that just for a bit of a change of pace, and so that you don't feel like you're role-playing a sociopath for seeking it out.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 pm

I've only spent an hour or so in this so far, so too early to form any thorough opinions. But a few things stand out immediately:

- It looks really pretty! Surprisingly so.

- Character creation is simple but interesting. Certainly different to any RPG I can think of.

- It feels alien, in a great way. In the same way that PS:T felt like a world I didn't know at all.

I share the concerns about it being TOO talky, though. I've always tended to go with peaceful solutions in RPGs where possible, but there should always be situations you can't blag your way out of - at least not without a cost. They may have that covered, I'm not sure yet.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:10 pm

You guys have been pretty quiet over this. Enjoying/not enjoying?

Must admit I've been put off by negative reviews on Steam. Oddly, though, it's put me in the mood for another replay of Planescape Torment. In fact, I might even pay for it on Gog just to have a digital version as well as my old discs.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:53 pm

I haven't played it in a couple of days went back to playing bf1. Have to admit the more I play the less I give a shit about the character and the story. It's good in a kind of way that a book is good. However my mind knows it's not a book...it's a a game and it should feel like one. I feel as though I'm reading all the time and frankly 90% of what's written is forgotten 5 mins later. Wasteland 2 was much better in this regard. It was still a game under all the bookish reading.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 pm

While I wouldn't necessarily be put off by an overly wordy game, these days I'm finding myself so fried by work and writing that when I do get a chance to sit down and play a game, I want something fairly mentally unchallenging... just want to switch off, really.

Might give this a swerve right now.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:47 pm

That's my thinking also. I might shelve this for now. Mass effect comes out soon with the new dlc for bf1 to tide me over.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing