Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

The strategy of playing ones role.
eVoL

Re: Planescape sequel: Tides of Numenera

Postby eVoL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:03 pm

I wish the original good iPad treatment so I could buy it and not play it like BG and IWD
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Today's the first chance I've had to get properly stuck into it. Like Jez says, it's kind of like reading a book when it should be a game. I'm five hours in and I've only been to a handful of places and I've not had a single fight (and only two opportunities where I could have started a fight). It looks like there are plenty of game mechanics but they're hardly ever used other than things like persuading people in conversations.

It's not bad. The writing is good (aside from the constant use of "myriad" - they need a thesaurus, desperately) and the setting has some interesting concepts. I'm just not convinced it's a game. There's also a sense of it being intentionally too weird at times. In PS:T there were plenty of highly unusual and esoteric things, but there were also plenty of everyday people going about their business, which made the unusual stuff more memorable and interesting. In this it feels like every single person is massively odd for the sake of it, and it can get tiresome. I'd like to talk to someone normal who acknowledges that all the weird stuff going on around me is, in fact, weird.

I may be being too harsh, because I am enjoying it. I think it may be best played in short bursts though.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm

I think I may be done with this for the time being. 10 hours in and while I have enjoyed it, I stopped and realised I just don't care what happens in the second half, at least not more than a casual curiosity. A good story should have you clamouring to find out.

I have had a few battles, finally, and they're... okay. Limited in scope, and not hugely challenging. There is a reasonable system which could be put to work but it's wasted on trivial scraps which are far and few between.

I confess myself a bit disappointed.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Sounds like I made the right decision to hold off - if even WB is getting bored of the story then I'd have probably stood no chance.

It does sound disappointing.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Despite it's godawful ending, Tyranny is a much better game. The fact that I felt so cheated by the ending speaks to how important the story was to me, and on top of that it has better (and more appropriately paced) combat. I'd highly recommend that to someone looking for an alternative to Numenera.

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 03, 2017 7:40 am

This is currently a tenner on CDKeys.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/torment- ... f=74dth566
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm

The reviews of this pointing out the vast swathes of dialogue put me right off, it takes a fucking spectacular story to pull that off.
nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 08, 2017 6:13 pm

The sad fact is that at the age I am now, I no longer have the patience for reading solid walls of text in games. Most of the time I skip past to get on with the action... yet here it seems as if there is very little action to speak of.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 am

It's the first RPG of it's ilk that I think I've ever abandoned. I may go back to it at some point, maybe not. Compare that with the replay of PS:T I recently did with the enhanced edition and I devoured every moment of it, and despite having played it many times before the story still felt fresher and more interesting and engaging than Numenera does. It's a sad thing to say but I think they really missed the target this time.

One way of looking at it is that PS:T is a game whereas Numenera is a below-average sci-fi book with added inconveniences.

Photos!

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing