Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

The strategy of playing ones role.
Gibby

Re: Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

Postby Gibby » Sat May 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Yeah I quite like it too. The maps seem a bit crowded... something I found with the 3D HoM&M games as well. But all in all, it's a good game so far!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat May 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I really should play more of it. I've only managed the first mission of the story so far. Dark Souls has been consuming all my time.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am

Man this really gets under your skin. It's got that Civ-like 'one more go'-ness that means an evening can just go by in a blur. Still on the first campaign, just started the fourth map. The first one was quite small, but I think the second one took me about 12 hours, really opened up at that point. Third one was a bit smaller, somewhere between the two. Second one was probably my favourite so far, as you get to play with dragons in the end-game. It's totally game-breaking, but fun! :D

Was able to save and quit before starting the fourth one, otherwise I'll be there all day again. I really need to do some work!

Top game, though. Exactly what I was looking for.
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Advice:

Not too long into the fourth Elven campaign mission, you're given an objective to liberate a city close to where you are. Save in a new slot before you do this. Don't worry about why I'm telling you this, the game's not going to slaughter you with unfair armies or anything*, just trust me on this one. It will make sense when you take the city. I suspect I'd give the same advice for the other campaign, but I don't know what sets off the equivalent there yet.

*Well, the game did proceed to slaughter me with unfair armies, but that wasn't related to taking that city so much as letting the enemy build up too strong and giving her the initiative with regard to global spells and leaving me constantly Disjuncting things when I really wanted to be using casting points on other things.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Hm, I got a few hours into that mission earlier (yeah, uh, my determination to actually get some work done wasn't spectacularly successful...) and presume I'm now past that part. I haven't seen any major repercussions yet.

Which leads me to believe something nasty is just about to happen. :(
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Wed May 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Nothing nasty.

Spoiler: show
It's just so you can go back and make the other choice without playing the start of the level again
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I did that bit before you posted. I've been kinda role-playing a particular way anyway, so I'm comfortable with the choice I made there.

I do make and keep a save at the start of each level though, so I can always go back to that if I fancy it.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Blech. Think I'm done with the campaign now.

Got to the one where you start underground, Mission 5, and you're told to build up your forces as you'll get hit pretty hard once you head above ground. So I do, setting up a strong network of settlements and producing good numbers of mid- to high- level units. Just as I'm about to then head up to the overground anyway, I get hit with a sudden 15-turn limit for the rest of the mission. Naturally I head straight up, beat one enemy in a few turns and am about to beat the second, when suddenly, turn 75, "you have lost".

That's about 5-6 hours completely down the drain then, thanks game. No, really, thanks a bunch.

I'll probably start a sandbox playthrough now that I know the fundamentals, but to be honest that's stolen a fair bit of my enthusiasm for this right now.
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Fri May 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Ouch. Haven't run into that, but this isn't due to any particular competence on my part. The preamble for that mission led me to believe that the other campaign was taking place simultaneously and I decided to try the Commonwealth story.
Huh? -Monses

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri May 09, 2014 2:39 pm

I actually regret buying this. Bored of it already. The animations are crap and somehow going from units being individuals to being groups is actually worse. Everything is just too... big and the camera is horrible, and the factions are all boring. Meh.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Unit groups slightly annoy me. I think it's because the units fight at full strength no matter how many of the members are dead, so what looks like a single knight is equally as powerful as the three that the unit would have at full health.
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes, it differs quite heavily from King's Bounty in that respect.

I can't really complain about it, though, I've won more battles than I've lost through that.
My face is tired.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri May 09, 2014 5:32 pm

I can't quite describe why it bothers me. The fighting is too fast, the animations barely there. Everything is just a bit... floaty. I've had the same sense of disconnect from other games as well. I think this one is just too... modernised for me.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Not too convinced with what I'm hearing about this.

I love the idea of the game, but it sounds a little disappointing.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 10, 2014 7:38 am

katarn wrote:Not too convinced with what I'm hearing about this.

I love the idea of the game, but it sounds a little disappointing.

I think it's very good, I mean Steam tells me I've already played it for 45 hours. If it wasn't for Gibby's comments, I'd have no problem recommending it. If you can, grab a demo maybe.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing