Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Age of Wonders 3 announced- Autumn 2013

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Eurogamer preview

This one is a bit more positive than the one RPS did.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Age of Wonders 3 announced- Autumn 2013

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm

RPS Wot I Think

I can't believe this and Warlock 2 are out within a few days of each other.

Vykromod

Re: Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

Postby Vykromod » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:51 pm

I remember when Shadow Magic came out. I'd been in my local GAME looking for something else and there, in the new releases section, was the Age of Wonders game I'd heard about. I was interested, but unfamiliar with the series. However, I was young and had disposable income on hand, so figured there wasn't much reason to not try it. Once home and in front of a computer, I formed a plan. AoW wasn't what I'd intended to buy. I had something else, something more immediately interesting, to play that day. I decided I'd install AoW first, have a quick shot at it for maybe half an hour or so, and then install and play the other thing, which would take up most of the day.

Once in the game, I noticed something while looking over the interface for the first time. 14:28. It wasn't until ten minutes later that I realised what it was, as it then said 14:38. It's a clock. I idly pondered why there was a clock there briefly before continuing my half-hour or so of initial investigation. This half-hour ended the next time I looked at the clock, which was at 16:45, with the other game, the thing I'd specifically been in GAME to get, completely ignored on the desk in front of me (and, as may be obvious, I have competely forgotten what it was since then).

This was the first time I'd run into a One More Turn situation. It remains the only game to really get me with that. I play Civs (Galactic and Sid Meier alike) and go on a little longer than expected, but never too many turns. I pick an end time and wait for anything really important or near completion to finish, like if I'm in the middle of a siege or my research is only a few turns away from finishing, then stop there.

Now fast forward about ten years. Age of Wonders 3 has come out. I was going to play until 9pm or so. This post was started seconds after quitting the game.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 am

I take it it's good then? :) I can't decided whether to get this or Warlock 2.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 am

What is it about these games that the good guys are always so 'holier than thou'. As for the game, it's pretty good.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Hey guys, any more thoughts on this? Just read the PCG review (83%) and it sounds like the sort of thing I might enjoy.

In particular, interested in potential differences between this and Warlock 2. I liked the first Warlock game, but it sounds like the battles in this might be a bit more involved than in that game, and that sounds intriguing to me.

Impressions gratefully received :)
My face is tired.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I am on the verge of buying as well. I love AoW Shadow Magic... this one looks like a lot of fun.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 pm

I haven't played much, but the combat is a lot different to Warlock. Warlock's combat is very much like Civ, but in AoW you fight on a turn-based grid a bit like in Kings Bounty, but with a larger playing field. From the stuff I have played it is very much like the previous AoW games.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Cool, love King's Bounty so that sounds good to me. £30 is a bit on the steep side for me these days, but really have a yearning for a new game to get my teeth into and this could fit the bill.
My face is tired.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Does it have multiplayer? We could play it together :o !

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 am

It does although at the moment I believe you have to watch everybody fight their battles. They said they were going to change that in a patch, but I don't know if they have done so yet.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat May 03, 2014 12:08 pm

I guess that's not the end of the world. They should let other players control AI forces for added challenge.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Bought it!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Me too. Not played it yet, but maybe this afternoon.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Played the first campaign for a couple of hours. I like it! Think I made the right choice over Warlock 2, which apparently isn't THAT different to the first game, which I played to death. I appreciate the tactical battles in this over the Civ-style combat in Warlock.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing