Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Age of Wonders 3 -Out 31st March

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:48 am

Triumph, the developer of Overlord and it's sequel, have announced that they have been working on Age of Wonders 3 since 2010 and that it is due out in autumn of this year. They are actually the guys who worked on the original two games in the series along with Epic Games which came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Anyway just like the original games it is a Heroes of Might and Magic style game and the original games, Shadow Magic in particular, are considered the pinnacle of the genre. So it will be interesting to see if they can add anything new to the genre with this third game.

Details wise it will include a ply-by-email system with video replays showing what happened turn by turn as well as the standard multiplayer option. It will have a scenario generator that can turn out limitless content and a toolset that will allow modders to tinker with the game. Post release they expect to release more classes, races, city upgrades, units, heroes, magical items, spells, map locations, scenarios and story campaigns. It also looks very pretty.

I loved the first game they did, although I wasn't very good at it, and while I really enjoy the Kings Bounty games I do miss the empire building that you did with Age of Wonders. So I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Images and trailer below.

Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Vykromod

Re: Age of Wonders 3 announced- Autumn 2013

Postby Vykromod » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:58 am

That looks both lovely and like an Age of Wonders game. I can feel my future free time slipping away into the void again.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh god yes! I fucking loved the other games! I can't wait for this!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 am

A few more details have been released.

-Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
-Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
-All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
-New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
-Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
-A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
-An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
-Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
-High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 am

Can't wait!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

Slight hijack... was HoMM6 any good? I was always looking forward to it then it came and went without me even realising it. Also nobody was talking about it so I imagine thats bad?

edit: also why the smeg is it called Might And Magic Heroes 6? :/
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

They have changed the name because they want all their games in the franchise to start with Might and Magic.

When it launched it was part of that horrid always online thing that Ubisoft has. Other than that I think it was fairly generic. I played the demo a bit and it seemed ok without really adding anything new to the series.

It's not as good as the Kings Bounty series.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 am

eVoL wrote:Slight hijack... was HoMM6 any good?

I hated it on release. They changed and simplified far too much. Resources are down to 4, they took away the town screen, you can't directly control mines anymore and the Drm was shocking. It was also riddled with bugs. Things might have changed since I last played it, but for me it's the worst in the series by a long way.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Notch is the mysterious backer behind this game. After seeing some random title screen blurb on Minecraft, Lennart Sas, co-owner and managing director of Triumph, decided on a whim to send them the demo they currently had for Age of Wonders 3. This ended up with Notch helping to fund the game so that Triumph have not had to go to a publisher for funds.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm

That's amazing news :D Yay Notch!

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 am

This looks nice:

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Hadn't heard of this series before this installment was announced, but that trailer has me interested.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:55 am

New 10 minute trailer from Gamescon.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

RPS Hand On

Seems like very much a sequel to Age of Wonders II. It doesn't really add anything like Eador, or Warlock have, but is a lot more polished.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Game is out on the 31st of March.

Available for pre-order from Steam and GOG for £29.99.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing