The Witcher 3 [PC, PS4, XBone] - Hearts of Stone - 13/10

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: The Witcher 3 [PC, PS4, XBone] - Hearts of Stone - 13/10

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Ha those are some beauts of endings there. I don't think I saw an ending where the orphans survive though myself. Think they are goners in general.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 pm

I think the horse demon does save them, they're just never heard from again.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm

That could be the case, I had a phone call as that bit was being explained so I missed it. Still, all said it was a catastrophic result compared to what happened in my first game.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am

I am still on my 1st playthrough, which I started when the game came out :lol:

Each time I have put it down, it has tended to be for around 6 months at a time - indeed I haven't picked it up since going back to work, must change that!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 am

Jez wrote:So yes. That's Witcher 3 and all dlc done.

Here's my blood and Wine ending for any comparison.

Spoiler: show
- Detlaff dead after he freaks out when syanna escapes using the ribbon

- Duchess Annarietta dead when Syanna kills her at Geralts medal giving

- Syanna dead shortly after killing Duchess

- Regis alive but has to leave Toussaint

- Geralt settles back to his vineyard with Triss also making an appearance.

I can't add any more gushing praise to this series than I've already said. Just amazing, genre busting, gripping fun.

Sad now it's all over which I suppose is why I've taken this long to actually finish it. Gog says I played 342 hours in all. Mind you that's with completing 2 full runs of the base game using different builds and played each dlc on the second playthrough.

Aaaand done. I've just left Geralt on a hillside at his vineyard in Toussaint, staring into the sunset and contemplating the end of his journey and an empty quest log.

Loved it, all of it. It took me this long to finish not because I didn't like B&W, but because I reached a point with it where I realised I wanted to finish the main game story again... for the third time... before completing the last DLC. And I still had quite a lot to do there. It was awesome, obviously, but having played it twice in quick succession from start to finish, I needed a bit of a break before doing it a third time.

Anyway, my ending, similar to Jez and WB but a bit less bleak in some respects:

- Detlaff dead after he freaks out when syanna escapes using the ribbon. I'm guessing the only way to save him might be to not get the ribbon and let him kill Syanna? Only speculating here. Will be interesting for a future replay.

- Duchess Annarietta and Syanna reconcile at Geralt's medal giving in quite an emotional scene. Some dust got in my eyes and everything went blurry for a short time. Not even sure how you'd get the ending where she kills her, though I was expecting an attempt until the end of the scene. Did you guys not uncover the final part of the plot, or decide not to tell anyone about it?

- Regis alive but has to leave Toussaint

- Geralt settles back to his vineyard with Triss also making an appearance.

Also

I did know that Regis was Geralt's friend, as they meet up in one of the Witcher novels, forget which. However I did wonder a couple of times at his split loyalties... I wonder if there are choices you can make that he is less happy with and edges him closer to supporting Dettlaff?

All in all, it's a 10/10 game, of course it is. Very much looking forward to Cyberpunk.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

Regarding how I got the 'bad' ending:

I'm pretty sure the key point which determines whether the duchess is killed is when you choose to follow Regis's plan during the attack on the city or go with your own plan. I still didn't trust Regis at that point so rejected his plan. My dad did the opposite on his playthrough and apparently a large section of the plot diverges in totally different ways. He said he went to some fairytale place, whereas I had a run in with some sort of mega vampire.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am

Ah, yeah, that would explain it. You learn a lot more about her motives if you take the same route as your dad.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:33 pm

I might be wrong but I think the sister killing thing is simpler than that. I'm fairly sure the ending you get is decided on what you say when you see syanna in prison just before you go to the medal giving bit. I read that somewhere can't remember where though.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Jez wrote:
I might be wrong but I think the sister killing thing is simpler than that. I'm fairly sure the ending you get is decided on what you say when you see syanna in prison just before you go to the medal giving bit. I read that somewhere can't remember where though.

Possibly, I was trying to take a peacemaking route throughout the finale when I'd found out more about why she'd done what she'd done.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Also on Regis issues.

I totally see what you guys mean about Regis possibly turning against you, at one point after the game is starting to wrap up towards the end I was with him back in the graveyard I got the fullest sense that I was about to be killed by him - was really tense as it was quite a long piece with lots of portentous talk and difficult subject matter throughout. I was also very much aware that this was Geralts last adventure answer that I was hurtling towards his end.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Exactly what I experienced, Jez.

I think I've said it before, but I felt quite ashamed that I didn't trust him until the very end, when actually he proved to be one of Geralt's most steadfast friends. I was convinced a betrayal was on the cards. If that was designed intentionally, it was executed perfectly.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm

When you go off to pick mandrake with him, and he disappears and you're following his tracks, I was convinced they were going to lead to a revived Dettlaff and something would occur, either a final betrayal or making good with him (and I did feel sympathy for him despite having to kill him). All that talk about only a higher vampire being able to kill another, plus Geralt turning away and not actually witnessing the deed...
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

It's quite clear that you lot are all terribly, terribly racist towards Vampires. Just because they want to suck your blood doesn't mean they are bad people. Vampires are people too!
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 pm

On the contrary, I was predisposed towards trusting Regis (knowing from the books he was part of Geralt's posse, like Zoltan, Dandelion etc), but the way the character is written and acted seems designed to generate some element of doubt. As WB says, if that was intentional then it is exceptionally well done, both in writing and performance.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Just in case it isn't clear, I wasn't being serious. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing