The Witcher 3 [PC, PS4, XBone] - Hearts of Stone - 13/10

The strategy of playing ones role.
Mantis
Admin

The Witcher 3 [PC, PS4, XBone] - Hearts of Stone - 13/10

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 am

Boom:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... d-for-2014

The biggest change in design for The Witcher 3 is its shift to being open world like an Elder Scrolls game. Where you go and when you go is up to you. There won't be chapters or acts, and hero Geralt will apparently answer only to himself.

CDPR said The Witcher 3's world is 20 per cent bigger than Skyrim's, according to the GameInformer reveal (digested on NeoGAF), and will take 30-40 minutes to traverse. CDPR boasts that the new RedEngine 3 will stream all areas and eliminate load times. Whether this is true of entering interior areas, I don't know.

Coming to PC and the next console generation.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: The Witcher 3 announced for 2014

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am

Sounds great.
My face is tired.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:46 am

I'm unsure about this becoming open world as The Witcher 2 was very focused on the story and open world games tend to falter in their flow when it comes to story telling.

As much as I enjoyed my time in Skyrim, I had zero investment in the story.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm

That's just a staple of the Elder Scrolls series, though, isn't it?

I would love for something a bit more open-world that let's you live life more like a Witcher in the books, going between various villages, investigating their local problems, building up to a big fight with a monster... could be epic.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:I'm unsure about this becoming open world as The Witcher 2 was very focused on the story and open world games tend to falter in their flow when it comes to story telling.

As much as I enjoyed my time in Skyrim, I had zero investment in the story.

I have to agree. It will be hard to provide an arching story when you have no control over where and when the characters will do certain things. I would have preferred them to stick to the more focused approach. Open world doesn't necessarily equal better.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

I enjoy both types of RPG (neither approach is the 'right' way), and I'm really interested in what they can do with this.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:50 pm

I'll be honest, I said a while ago that an open-world Witcher game, done right (like I've said above, making each location like an investigation rather than a quest hub), could be very, very exciting, so this pleases me. Potentially.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any focus either. It's difficult to provide a well structured story in an open world environment and I don't think many developers have succeeded in doing so, but it's still possible. Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls games have never been about that kind of experience, they're designed as a playground that you drop into and explore completely at your own leisure without much guidance or care for the story.

I'm fairly confident that Projekt Red can deliver a well developed story whilst retaining an open world feel. I highly doubt that they'd bother with open world unless they felt that they could create the same atmospheric plot from the previous games. Witcher 1 and 2 sold enough copies for them to not have to simply try and mimic Skyrim.

NG

Postby NG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm on the same boat as Sly. For Witcher 2, I think I farmed/completed other missions before taking on really difficult quests, which makes me slightly concerned about the pacing/flow of the main story if it's too open.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Kingdoms of Amalar did a nice job of combining linearity with an open world.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

They are saying this story will revolve around what Geralt wants rather than politics that were the focus of the last couple of games. There's a picture of Geralt and another person on horse back who had white hair. Me thinks this will be set in the future with Triss being relatively old. Hope that it incorporates the choices made in the Witcher 2.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:They are saying this story will revolve around what Geralt wants rather than politics that were the focus of the last couple of games. There's a picture of Geralt and another person on horse back who had white hair. Me thinks this will be set in the future with Triss being relatively old. Hope that it incorporates the choices made in the Witcher 2.

But the important question is, will she still be hot?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Where the witcher really puts open world games to shame is the way it handles consequences. Within contained areas and set paths it's much easier to have the environment and NPC's react to your previous choices and actions. Things like Vizima burning or the split pathways of 2 really give the impression of a dynamic world that is responding to the input of the player. Compare that to the smoking ruin of Kvatch or the way the head of the Mages guild is treated like nothing half the places in Skyrim while everyone seems quite ambivalent about the war. If they can get the scale of stuff like the opening of Witcher 2 into an openworld game then i'll be very impressed.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am

Sly Boots wrote:That's just a staple of the Elder Scrolls series, though, isn't it?

I would love for something a bit more open-world that let's you live life more like a Witcher in the books, going between various villages, investigating their local problems, building up to a big fight with a monster... could be epic.

Sadly, it is. Think how much better it would have been had the story been stronger and more engaging.

Reiver's comparison is bang on.

Don't get me wrong, I like open world games and I am looking forward to this; I'm just hoping it doesn't end up lacking in the story department.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:But the important question is, will she still be hot?

I've only read The Last Wish (The first of the few Witcher books that has been translated to English) but I seem to recall a Mage character in that saying all mages are smoking hot even if they were born as deformed hunchbacks as they can all do the equivalent of magical plastic surgery on themselves.

So yes, she will still be hot.

It's not Triss though.

And what happened to Shani from W1?
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing