Dark Souls 2 [360, PC, PS3] - Out 14th of March 2014

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Dark Souls 2 [360, PC, PS3] - Out 14th of March 2014

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 am

DLC gameplay footage.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 am

DLC review.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ing-review

8/10

I like that they have returned to the circular level design of the first Dark Souls game.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Is it just me or are dex builds in this game horrifically underpowered compared to the first?

I'm on the Belfry Gargoyles and just can't get passed them at all because I get swamped before I can output enough damage.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am

Mantis wrote:Is it just me or are dex builds in this game horrifically underpowered compared to the first?

I'm on the Belfry Gargoyles and just can't get passed them at all because I get swamped before I can output enough damage.

I never actually managed to beat the Gargoyles with a Strength build as they seemed to spawn way too quickly. I didn't try them that many times though because getting to them was such a nightmare what with the Covenant guarding them. I guess they just require you to output a lot of damage really quickly. Maybe try a different weapon?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm a little low on decent weapons at the moment; using Ricard's Rapier +4 and a scimitar +4 dual wielding, finding upgrade materials has proven to be pretty difficult. No doubt it'd be easier to just spec into mage and use ranged attacks but I've not put a single point into attunement or anything.

I really want to get this wrapped up on PS3 soon so that I can buy the inevitable GOTY PC edition and play all the DLC in 60fps.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Mantis wrote:I'm a little low on decent weapons at the moment; using Ricard's Rapier +4 and a scimitar +4 dual wielding, finding upgrade materials has proven to be pretty difficult. No doubt it'd be easier to just spec into mage and use ranged attacks but I've not put a single point into attunement or anything.

I really want to get this wrapped up on PS3 soon so that I can buy the inevitable GOTY PC edition and play all the DLC in 60fps.

Have you found the Blacksmith's Daughter yet? She has a few stones. After that though you need to unlock the blacksmith in the Lost Bastille, but that takes a fair while as you need to go to the Iron Keep. Maybe skip the Gargoyles and come back to them later?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Not found his daughter but I've got access to the blacksmith in the Bastille after an exploding barrel took down the wall he was locked behind. He seems to want some sort of ember though.

Onward to Huntsmans Copse it is.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Mantis wrote:Not found his daughter but I've got access to the blacksmith in the Bastille after an exploding barrel took down the wall he was locked behind. He seems to want some sort of ember though.

Onward to Huntsmans Copse it is.

Yeah the ember is in the Iron Keep. The daughter is in the area after Hunstmans Copse.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:12 pm

This game is ludicrously more frustrating than the first. :lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 am

How so?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm finding the control system to be far less precise, particularly whatever changes they've made to the lock-on mechanic. I dislike what they've done with the jumping too, quite a few times I've fallen to my death because a tricky ledge has proved unconquerable by my character who only seems capable of hopping a tiny distance.

Also the way that so many enemies will instantly 360 and smash your face in because they've got dodgy auto-hit built in whenever you try and flank them is doing my head in. At times I'm getting pancaked by blokes with huge weapons that I've quite clearly dodged but the game has registered damage because the hit boxes are totally off.

Honestly I'm struggling to enjoy this so much, for the above reasons and also because the world feels so dull and hastily put together it just isn't interesting at all. Dark Souls felt like a lovingly crafted world where every shortcut doubled back into an area that you'd explored before and it all felt so interconnected; this just feels like following narrow corridors into new zones, none of which have much personality. You can really tell that Hidetaka Miyazaki wasn't the chief director on this one.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm

The world isn't as good as that in Dark Souls I agree, there are some lovely areas still though with some good enemy design. I can't say I had any issue with being insta-hit despite rolling and I found overall that the controls were pretty similar to Dark Souls, expect for the changes concerning the new stat to do with animation, drinking estus flasks etc. For the jump they didn't change it other than the button to which it is bound. You still jump exactly the same as in the first one, unless I'm missing something.

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be launching in the Americas on April 7, 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC/Steam (DirectX 9/DirectX11).

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will include the three previously released DLC packs - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the ivory King – along with additional features.

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):

Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
Augmented item descriptions.
Improved online matchmaking functionality.

Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above):
Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Time for me to give a try at long last then?

April 7th though, that's a ways off and only for the Americas. No Old World release date?

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Time for me to give a try at long last then?

April 7th though, that's a ways off and only for the Americas. No Old World release date?

We've just got the April release date but nothing concrete.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing